AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting an Outlaw 7125 amp, and I need a pre/pro AVR that has at least 3 HDMI that decodes HD audio formats. I would like to spend no more than street price of $450 on the pre/pro.

I have used the search and can't find any inexpensive pre-pros discussed. Maybe they don't put pre-maps in such inexpensive AVRs? Or it won't sound good enough?

The reason I need a decision today, is if it won't work out, I will get a powerful AVR I picked instead, and the sale ends today.

EDIT: I found another vendor with prices that are close enough, and better servcice, so I am not in a hurry anymore. However, since my speakers haven't been used in a month, I would like to make a decision soon.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For the price range you're looking at ($1,450 for both amp and receiver as pre/pro), I believe you'd be better off just getting an AVR in that price range. There really aren't enough AVRs to pick from at $450 that will serve you well as a pre/pro.

Consider instead getting, say, the Denon AVR-3808CI; Marantz SR7002; Onkyo TX-SR875; or Yamaha RX-V3800. Some of these are currently being heavily discounted to make room for the new models.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I can't fit the Onkyo or Yamaha in my cabinet, but it doesn't matter, as I don't like them for various reasons.

As for th others, I have been considering the Denon and Marantz, and leaning towards buying the latter, maybe even the 8002 rather than 7002. The 8002 would get somewhat close to this amp, but the non-user updating firmware is the stumbling block for me on the both Marantz AVRs.

I have done a lot of reasearch over many months about AVRs, I figured I should separates a look, since I am reading lately, that my Ascend Sierras really sing with an amp; I have 5 of them, that I will be using full range, at least for now. The Sensitivity (Anechoic) is 86.5dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter; this is relatively inefficient.

I may be able to get by with two HDMI inputs, if necessary, as long they processing HD audio formats. The beauty of separates, besides power, of course, is to be able to upgrade the pre-pro more often due to $. If I have to spend a bit more I will consider it, often they are deals out there, anyway. Any reasonable suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/14167182

Thanks for the reply.

I can't fit the Onkyo or Yamaha in my cabinet, but it doesn't matter, as I don't like them for various reasons.

As for th others, I have been considering the Denon and Marantz, and leaning towards buying the latter, maybe even the 8002 rather than 7002. The 8002 would get somewhat close to this amp, but the non-user updating firmware is the stumbling block for me on the both Marantz AVRs.

I have done a lot of reasearch over many months about AVRs, I figured I should separates a look, since I am reading lately, that my Ascend Sierras really sing with an amp; I have 5 of them, that I will be using full range, at least for now. The Sensitivity (Anechoic) is 86.5dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter; this is relatively inefficient.

I may be able to get by with two HDMI inputs, if necessary, as long they processing HD audio formats. The beauty of separates, besides power, of course, is to be able to upgrade the pre-pro more often due to $. If I have to spend a bit more I will consider it, often they are deals out there, anyway. Any reasonable suggestions are welcome.

Maybe you'd better adjust your requirements in your first post to add

1. No Yamaha or Onkyo or Marantz

2. Must less than xxcm tall

3. Actually, AVR could cost as much as $xxx (what the Marantz 8002 costs)

How about an HK? Don't know how tall it is, though...

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzziks /forum/post/14167247

Maybe you'd better adjust your requirements in your first post to add

1. No Yamaha or Onkyo or Marantz

2. Must less than xxcm tall

3. Actually, AVR could cost as much as $xxx (what the Marantz 8002 costs)

How about an HK? Don't know how tall it is, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid05 /forum/post/14167229

Harmon Kardon AVR-254 or 354 would be great solutions, no?

1. I didn't say I wouldn't get a Marantz. If you notice, I said I am actually leaning towards it over the Denon, even with the non-user updating of firmware being a stumbling block. I have looked into a way around it. One vendor said he was going to find out when he could get units with the new firmware. If and when he does, and can guarantee it, I would strongly consider it.

2. Who said anything about the height being an issue? I said certain AVRs would fit in the cabinet. In my case, the depth is an issue. The full depth of components can't exceed 16-5/8". Note some vendors incorrectly list the chassis depth instead of the full depth, so I always verify this, unless there is a notation or diagram.

I have looked at so many AVRs, noting some ports are flush to the case, while binding posts protrude the most, of course. I carefully calculated reasonable bend radius of each cable, it is that close with some AVRs in relation to me cabinet. I wish I had a bit more space, but I didn't want to spend more $ for custom. I took a long time to find my cabinet, and did so with much consideration of the dimensions, ventilation, and quality.

3. Well, prices and availability varies from vendor to vendor. I am not so sure I can talk my way into getting approval for Marantz SR8002.
But, I think $450-500 for an AVR, as pre-pro is fine. I can tell you from my research some of the higher-end AVRs (using internal amps) won't work for my cabinet. However, it happens though that the Marantz 7002/8002 and Denon 2808/3808 do work, which I like, so I am lucky in that regard. In terms of cost and performance, I was hoping a Marantz 7002 would be enough; I am not sure, though.

Re: HK: I like it, but have always been leery of their QC. But, I am considering the 254, as the est. delivered street price should be ~$450-475. At that price, I may take a chance on it, because of the sound and the features. What is your opinion on it as a pre-pro? And the combo of it with the Outlaw for my Sierras?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts