AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help with the adjustments of gamma and luminance in my set-up. It is my first attempt to get the D65 calibration, I think it was a good start but now I see my gamma going from 1.95 to 2.6. Now I will try to explain.

Set-up:

TV Sony 34XBR960

BD player with Video Essentials DVD

Colorimeter: Spyder3

Software: HFCR and Spyder3tv software

This is the HFCR data file - before calibration: (...inicial.zip)

This is the HFCR data file - after calibration: (...final.zip)

Now this is what I did:

1. Reference: SDTV (NTSC ) D65

2. Display: xzY

3. Read time: 3000 ms

4. Set contrast between 30 to 40 ftL

5. Set RGB gain (30 IRE)

6. Set RGB cut (80 IRE)

8. Set Spyder3tv software

That is all. Now I want to improve it, but before I need know how to adjust the gamma (2170P-4 GAMM?)and luminance(2103-1 CLEV?) in service mode. I know there is a lot I can improve but I am not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Attachment 150583

Sony 34XBR960 inical e final.zip 5.6904296875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Gains are high end ... offsets are low end. You have it backwards

regards

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
There is seperate r, g, and b gamma boosts in the SM. Tyically the XBR960 needs an extra gamma boost in the red to flatten the grayscale, and typically all the colors need 1 click of boost to be around 2.2-2.3 gamma average. I typically get around 40-45 fL of light from a white window. Set your contrast either the conventional way or shoot for between 40 and 45 fL, and then boost each color's gamma by 1. Then boost red gamma another click so it's at 2. Then adjust your black level and grayscale. Use Pro mode to cal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/17038784

There is seperate r, g, and b gamma boosts in the SM. Tyically the XBR960 needs an extra gamma boost in the red to flatten the grayscale, and typically all the colors need 1 click of boost to be around 2.2-2.3 gamma average. I typically get around 40-45 fL of light from a white window. Set your contrast either the conventional way or shoot for between 40 and 45 fL, and then boost each color's gamma by 1. Then boost red gamma another click so it's at 2. Then adjust your black level and grayscale. Use Pro mode to cal.

OK. I will do it next sunday. I have another question. How do you know or how do you measure how much gamma (in r, g or b) is need it? Iis possible to measure it in real time? Or I read somewhere that when you set Y between 40-45, you can calculate the brightness (0.63% of Y) and then you can say that you'll have a gamma between of 2.2?. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I did again all the calibration but this time using the 709 DVD. My gamma now goes from 2.3 (10 IRE) to 2.0 (80 IRE) with GAMM set at 1. I noticed that the yellow looks a little more weak, so I got the CIE chart and now I found out that my green primary is offset. Is there something I can do to adjuts it?

Thanks again for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts