AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys could offer some thoughts on setting up my receiver. My equipment is as follows;

Yamaha RX-V673 Receiver

Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer (16-180Hz +-2db)

Martin Logan Motion 20 Front Speakers (46-25000Hz +-3db)

The subwoofer is placed next to my couch, on the right side. The system will be completed with a Motion 30 center channel and Motion 4 surrounds, but I can't afford to purchase them for another couple of weeks and am setting it up as a 2.1 system for now so I can listen to music.

After running YPAO, it set my system as having Large Speakers, an 80Hz crossover, and Extra Bass is on. (Extra Bass sends the LFE to both the front channels and the subwoofer, if you weren't aware of its function.) The front channel levels are both zero (apparently no adjustment needed?) and I was able to get the subwoofer level to come in at -1.0 after turning the gain almost all the way down (probably 2 out of a 1-10 scale). I have a few questions;

After running YPAO, I set the speakers to Small and turned Extra Bass off. The previous setting sounded 100% better. It seemed like after making the changes, the sound was really lacking in depth or fullness. I changed the crossover to 60Hz and it made almost no difference.

My understanding is that it is best to have the towers set to small since they roll off at 46Hz, and to have the LFE frequencies all go to the subwoofer. Am I wrong? If not, what gives? Why does it sound so much better the previous way? I'm thinking that it is a problem with either the position beside the couch, or gain level of my subwoofer, which isn't allowing a nice smooth transition to the main speakers. Running a 10Hz-100Hz frequency sweep (stepping up in 10Hz increments) results in all of them sounding about the same intensity. Turning the sub gain up results in much stronger bass, but the lack of depth is still there.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
It is pretty hard to go wrong with small and 80hz. Your issue is that you prefer more bass than the standard is supplying. If so, there is no reason you can't turn it up a little either at the receiver or the sub itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts