AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am in a bit of a pickle and don't know what to do. I was hoping someone could help me out. I just ordered a Samsung LN32a450 and literally as soon as the thing shipped, I came across an article about Panasonic's 2009 Viera line. I was going to get the Panasonic TC-32LX85 instead of the Samsung but I didn't. So...there are a couple things I could do. Please help

1. I could keep the Samsung LN32A450.

2. I could return the Samsung and get the Panasonic TC-32LX85, and after reading some of Samsung's customer service reviews, I am about to do just that.

or...

3. I could return the Samsung and wait until march for Panny's new Viera's. Now, would it be worth it to wait or would they have about the same picture quality as the old Viera's? Also, do you think that the new lineup will be a lot more expensive than the Viera lineup now?

Help me out guys, I would appreciate it!

Thanks

·
Vendor
32,767 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also was just reading that the Panasonic TC-32lx85 cannot accept 1080p sources. So does that mean I can't watch blue rays on it?

I am concerned about the ghosting issues I hear about with the Samsung LN32A450...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Both TVs are pretty similar. The A450 is a fine TV, I don't think it is worth it to return it. Unless you can get the Panny for significantly less.

Both panels are 720p. The Sammy may accept 1080p, but it just going to downsample it. You can play a Blu-Ray on any HDTV, you just won't get full 1080p. With either TV is it probably best to set all of your sources to 720p.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tree dude...in your honest opinion, would you take the Panny TC-32lx85 over the Samsung LN32a450? This is my reasoning so far

1. I have heard samsungs customer service is well......non existent

2. The panny has an IPS panel while the sammy has a s-pva.

3. panny's electronics are more reliable?

What do u think?

Sorry for all the questions but it's my first big purchase really and I don't want to get screwed because I made the wrong decision.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have heard mixed reviews on Sammy's service. Some have had trouble, others praise it. I have no clue about Panny though.

I can tell you that I have played some Halo 3 on that Sammy at a LAN party and it was quite a nice TV. Motion blur was minimal (6ms) and did not bother me one bit. I have played on a similarly spec'ed Dynex (8ms) that had horrible motion blur though. The Panny is rated at 8ms, but it really means nothing since there is no standard way of rating it.

It sounds like you bought the Sammy online as you say it was shipped. Is it really worth it for you to pay to ship it back and the get the Panny? Like I said both are great TVs, I just don't think it is worth the hassle of returning it even if the Panny is slightly better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, what do you make of Panny's 2009 lineup? Would it be worth it to wait? Will the new lineup be a lot more expensive than the ones out now?

·
Registered
240 Posts
We are talking about a small TV here. I honestly do not think it is worth it to nitpick this much. If you were going 40"+ I could understand, as there is more cost and it is going to be your main TV. But a 32" is small and I don't think you should sweat this much about it.

Both Pannisonic's and Samsung's 2009 line of TVs are all going to be 1080p, even the smaller panels. So right there you get a resolution boost. I expect the rest of the specs will be much better too (120hz). But is it worth the wait/cost? No one has any prices yet, so anything I tell you would be a guess.

If I were in your position I would keep the Sammy and stop looking in these forums for a while. But that is just me.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I would choose option #2 or #3. For me, it might depend on how good of a price I could find on the TC-32LX85. It is basically sold out everywhere online, so you would have to find a good price on it locally (it was previously available for under $500 online). It would be pretty tempting to wait, but I have no idea what the prices of the 2009 models will be. This all assumes that you will only be using the display as a TV. If you will also be using it as a PC monitor, then I don't recommend the TC-32LX85. It would be better to wait for the new models or keep the Samsung.

ETA: If you bought the Samsung online, then you should keep it. It's not worth paying to ship it back.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude /forum/post/15544052

Both Pannisonic's and Samsung's 2009 line of TVs are all going to be 1080p, even the smaller panels.
This seems to indicate that there will be one 32" Panny that is 1080p and two that are 720p. Currently, there is one 720p and one 1080p

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15544135

This seems to indicate that there will be one 32" Panny that is 1080p and two that are 720p. Currently, there is one 720p and one 1080p

My bad. I just went off of a few articles I read that outlined the new products. Though I don't really see the point of having 720p TVs anymore.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude /forum/post/15544338

I don't really see the point of having 720p TVs anymore.

Well, some of us don't see the point of paying $900 for a 32" TV that we'll be sitting 6 or 7' away from. And just on principle, I would never pay more for a 32" LCD than I could pay for a 42" plasma.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15544441

Well, some of us don't see the point of paying $900 for a 32" TV that we'll be sitting 6 or 7' away from. And just on principle, I would never pay more for a 32" LCD than I could pay for a 42" plasma.

Well to be honest the prices of mid sized TVs are out of wack. I can get a 22" 1080p PC monitor for $180. There is no reason why a 1080p 32" TV needs to be $900. But I can find quite a few 1080p 32" TVs for between $600 and $700.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reason I am just getting 720p is because the TV will mainly be for my PS3 and at 32" you can't REALLY tell the difference from 1080p.

·
Registered
199 Posts
By the time the "new" models are available at a reasonable price, they will be the "old" models, and these forums will be full of the rumors and specs of the "new" models.

·
Registered
57 Posts
do you guys think, the LN32A450 price will drop significantly when the new samsungs are released? I'm thinking about getting one too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts