AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages, and I'm trying to come up with a color scheme/design that I like. I don't need a full blown Dennis design, I'm just looking for assistance in designing something basic.

Does anyone here provide these services?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
If by design you are just considering paint/fabric color, where to put colums, sconces and can lights. I would just look at some of the great threads in this forum. Pick one you like and go with it, or combine concepts from different ones. Now if by "design" you mean what size bass trap should you use to tame a low frequency mode, or building a room within a room with excellent sound isolation, yes, there are people who do that sort of thing as a profession within this forum. Bpape, Dennis, and others.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd /forum/post/0

If by design you are just considering paint/fabric color, where to put colums, sconces and can lights. I would just look at some of the great threads in this forum. Pick one you like and go with it, or combine concepts from different ones. Now if by "design" you mean what size bass trap should you use to tame a low frequency mode, or building a room within a room with excellent sound isolation, yes, there are people who do that sort of thing as a profession within this forum. Bpape, Dennis, and others.

I'm more interested in the former - the aesthetic design. I have some ideas in my head, but I'd love to see them in a nice looking computer generated image or render.

I've read enough on acoustical treaments and soundproofing, plus experience from my current theater, to know what to do in that regards.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
"Reaper" here on the forum does some really nice 3D renderings. I often do this as a part of my service, since I have to build a 3D room model anyway. But my renderings are generally not as detailed as his.

- Terry

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/0

"Reaper" here on the forum does some really nice 3D renderings. I often do this as a part of my service, since I have to build a 3D room model anyway. But my renderings are generally not as detailed as his.

- Terry

I actually PMd Reaper a few days ago, and discussed this with him. He explained to me that he does not design theater, he simply makes renderings of theaters that have already been designed. He said I would need to have a detailed designed theater before he could render it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
SketchUp is my friend - and a free one at that. You can download it and be beavering away within an hour. Be warned though - it's addictive - I have been changing color schemes and various placements for months now. I did start off with the basic design from several threads on this forum and then started modifying to fit and work within my space that I have.

Lewis

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisCobb /forum/post/0

SketchUp is my friend - and a free one at that. You can download it and be beavering away within an hour. Be warned though - it's addictive - I have been changing color schemes and various placements for months now. I did start off with the basic design from several threads on this forum and then started modifying to fit and work within my space that I have.

Lewis

Thanks, I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here's my first attempt using Google Sketchup. All the black you see is wood. The dark gray is also wood, but on the bottom that indicates a panel made of GOM and linacoustic, with a black trim border around it. On the columns, the middle dark gray area indicates a removable speaker grill. The top and bottom would be decorative, or I may not have them. The front column would be for aesthetics, and the back one for my side surrounds. I would have an additonial column on the back wall, on each side, for my rear surrounds.

Will play with this more tomorrow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like you are starting to get the hang of it. I see there's a very tiny little man on the left though

Once you get a bit further along, start investigating the area of importing .jpeg pics and using them as materials for painting onto surfaces. It helps to get a "feel" for the actual materials and colors that you are planning on using. The area of components is a good one as well - you can make speakers etc. and then drop them into the model etc.

Good Luck !

Lewis

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisCobb /forum/post/0

Looks like you are starting to get the hang of it. I see there's a very tiny little man on the left though

Once you get a bit further along, start investigating the area of importing .jpeg pics and using them as materials for painting onto surfaces. It helps to get a "feel" for the actual materials and colors that you are planning on using. The area of components is a good one as well - you can make speakers etc. and then drop them into the model etc.

Good Luck !

Lewis

Yeah, I did see that functionality, I'm just not there in my design process yet. I'm still trying to come up with an overall color scheme, layout, etc. I'm pretty happy with what I have right now, but am of course always looking for ways to improve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.