AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching Receivers now for about 2 months online, and honestly the more I think I understand what I want or need in a receiver, the more I feel like I am right back where I started. I have never bought anything for a home stereo setup, I have done car audio a few times, but that is not really the same as home audio. I think starting off, I am going to get a receiver and two front L/R speakers. The speakers I have narrowed it down to are the Polk Audio Monitor 70's series II. These seem to have a high max watt rating, all the way up to 275w I believe. I will be listening to music and watching tv/movies about equally, a 50/50 split. If I am home I usually have music on. I just need helping narrowing down my search for a quality receiver that can push those speakers well enough. I was thinking the Onkyo TX-NR818 it seems to have most things I need, just not really sure if this is will be about to get enough out of these speakers. I would like wi-fi and usb hook up, but that seems to be standard on most avr's these days. since I'm just rambling now, I am just asking for a couple suggestions of AVR's I should be looking at, or certain things I should be looking for.

·
The Village Idiot
9,716 Posts
Spend as much on speakers as you are thinking of spending on an AVR - then find an AVR that cost about what those Monitor speakers would. Reason is the sound quality is 90% in the speakers and 10% electronics. If you like Polk find something in the RTi or better yet the LSi line. Polk Audio has a large presence on ebay. They sell 'refurbished' speakers there for less than retail and often the product is new. The Monitor series are 'ok' but there are so many better speakers available - even from Polk. You can get a refurbished AVR from Accessories4Less.com for a decent price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knucklehead90 is accessories4less.com a trusted website to get AVR's from? I'm just not very knowledgeable about these things yet, I just wasn't sure if it is a website you would buy a refurbished one from. Also the LSi line is not in my price range, but the RTi line is more in my price range. I have been reading different reviews comparing the RTi vs the Monitor 70's and people are saying for music the monitors are the way to go, and for movies the RTi's are the way to go so I'm not sure which would be better for me.

zgeneral what do you mean by more sensitive? sorry if that is a beginner question, just want to make sure I understand what you mean.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
A4L is a good site, many here use them. I recently bought a Denon 4520 refurb (factory refurb, they just sell them) which failed, they were very good about arranging a swap. Unfortunately the second refurb also crapped out but slightly beyond the 30day exchange period, they still stepped up and paid return shipping (but I did buy from them a new unit instead which has been fine). Customer service was excellent.

Sensitivity is a spec that indicates how much power it takes to get to a given loudness (spl, expressed in dB) with a speaker. The higher the sensitivity number (e.g. 90 dB/1w/1m) the less power it takes to drive the speaker. The power is nominally 2.83v at 8 ohm or 1 watt (at 4 ohm that would be 2 watts, so sometimes the spec isn't clear), and measured at a distance of 1 meter from the speaker. There are spl calculators to assist you such as this one http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

You might try reading the faq here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/968859-avr-faq.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts