AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello . i need help in how to make my screen look nice with some boost in black level and contrast if it was possbile

first there is no projector paints and projector blockout cloth near my place or my country so i had to find
somethings else and what i found is a wall paint with all colors and a fisherman bags cloth it blackout and it come with long rolles with alot of clothes and it cheap

so i take some cloth samples and bought some gray and dark gray also metalic sliver paints and cloth got some tiny taxture if i take close look and it mostly they gone when i paint it

im very new to paint and im not sure what i must do or the color of gray i should pick so i really need help f you got time

after i painted my gray screen smaple it not bad but it dim the light picture abit , and the light gray sample it wont improve the black leves

so what i need to mix? and i bought littler shiny gray paint do i have to buy unshiny one ? thanks for reading :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Uggqf5H0xZZXpmQVlqa1I2dVk

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Using an unshiny grey paint is best for the mix because it won't make the texture show quite as much and it'll help keep brightness a little more evenly spread across the whole screen.

If you need the screen to be brighter, using more metallic (or pearl or mica) paint in the mix will add brightness/gain, BUT it'll also show more and more texture as you increase the amount..that's why finding a nice balance is important.

What screen-size do you think you'll want, and what projectors have you narrowed down your options to? If your screen-size is small enough and the projector can fill it while looking good, you might prefer a mix that dims the image but looks really smooth and clean because it doesn't have a ton of metallic trying to brighten it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using an unshiny grey paint is best for the mix because it won't make the texture show quite as much and it'll help keep brightness a little more evenly spread across the whole screen.

If you need the screen to be brighter, using more metallic (or pearl or mica) paint in the mix will add brightness/gain, BUT it'll also show more and more texture as you increase the amount..that's why finding a nice balance is important.

What screen-size do you think you'll want, and what projectors have you narrowed down your options to? If your screen-size is small enough and the projector can fill it while looking good, you might prefer a mix that dims the image but looks really smooth and clean because it doesn't have a ton of metallic trying to brighten it.
My Screen size will be : 5 meter wide and around 3 meter tall
Projector : Benq ht2050

here my screen plan ,

with roll down screen i can keep the normal room look and i hop with my plan i can Reduce the Reflection light as much as possbile

if the screen it not tight enough and it shiny it will look bad so i hop 2 metal pipes will tight it enough , if not then np i will think of
somethings else to tight it

after i read your replay i tried the gray metal paint on white cloth also in my old gray sample this the first coat

this the textures

and here the metallic sliver or metallic gray paint that i used not sure if it what you suggested , also they dont have more in the shop , and for normal paint they mix the color with the white paint

i will test these new small painted cloth sample in night if it will light up the screen abit so later i can use it with gray paint becouse it dim the light picture but the dark picture it fine , becouse im not sure what i have to do all paints that you used are not available here in my country or near by . either the blackout projector cloth

i forget to say thanks to recommended this projector in this price range to me i really like it to point i open it daily i use it on normal white wall and it washed it up but not that much and my new screen plan will improve it :D

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,897 Posts
What country do you live in?

I hate to say it, but this project has all the earmarks of becoming a abject failure if the wrong advice and recommendations are not pro-offered, and so far such has been the case.

It's not a case where supposition and guesswork can effect positive results.

I state is clearly enough there can be no misunderstanding.

You CANNOT have a 5 meter wide screen and use the 2050 without the screen having appreciably higher gain than 1.5

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Missippi has a decent point about getting help from someone that has more experience with the paints you have available being a safer bet. James_of_AZ has been helping folks all over the world use local paints to get a nicely balanced mix which fights light while also being forgiving enough to handle some surface texture.
If you write a request for some help in his thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...int-silver-grey-screen-mix-epson-3600e-6.html James should see it faster and might be able to offer some great hands-on assistance.

Alternatively, Mississippi or someone else might be willing to ship you some paints that have been used frequently in the USA if you prefer that.

Option number three would be to continue experimenting with the paints you have (even if JamesOfAZ isn't able to offer advice) and see what you can come up with. It looks like both of those metallics you have should be able to do the job and getting a grey that you like to mix together with the metallic shouldn't be a problem.
A half metallic and half flat/matte-grey mix should be very forgiving, but I'd recommend first testing with a small piece to see if 2parts metallic and 1part grey mixed together handles the texture alright. The 2parts metallic and 1part grey should help the image be a decent bit brighter than the 1:1mix would, so the 2:1 or even more would be helpful for keeping your large screen bright as long as the higher amount of metallic doesn't add too much of a textured or sparkly look to the screen.

Between your available tools and the material's texture I doubt a super high-gain mix would work well without looking pretty glittery, but James has a couple very large screens rolled onto regular walls that don't appear dim AND they handled the simple painting (and imperfect wall) quite well..so there's still plenty of hope.
Still, your roughly 225inch-diagonal screen is REALLY big, and you'll want to help it by keeping as much room-light/outside-light off the screen as possible to help the projected image not have to fight as hard. Are you sure that this is about 5m-wide and about 3m-tall? That would require a taller than average ceiling and still stretch all the way from the floor to the ceiling. I'm hoping that was maybe a typo or a measuring mistake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess the picture Below can explain what is my choice XD

2 meter of white cloth for samples . bought the meter around dollar and half it unexpansive , very good for tests

that will take few paint and make the work easier . better then my brush or bigger roller :)

the not good news is (bad news) these samples they see throw but not much there was a thicker one in shop , and that thicker one i hop it blockout as the brown one i had i pick few clothes as samples , i will give it a white first coat then as you suggest 1:1 metallic with gray mix
then anther sample with 2:1 metalic mix with gray , and see how it go with night

@ MississippiMan , i had Acer 5380bd and optoma hd26 i dont like optoma at all i sold both of them within a year they dont last few more then 3 months , i was going to get Benq but i want to be sure it good one and Floast had good information and he kind and helpful , he was right benq is better then the 2 way to much , for epson im sensitive to TV motion so maybe it the same plus alot of complain about it black levels

upgrade will cost money and shipping time and selling my projector plus it need very good room or it gonna be point less , i thought of upgrade a week ago to more expansive one but i changed my mind , instead of i be worry with saving money for it i can just simply sit and
enjoy watching my movies :)

@ James , his paint look amazing i wish my paint will be close to what he did thanks for link , you and MississippiMan are enough
James also suggested 1:1 in his thread your suggest is close to it , and i will also do as MississippiMan suggest to incresse the gain with 2:1 mix ,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the projecor picture size is 4.5 meter wide and somethings around 2:6 tall , i rechecked today

the max wall height is 3 meter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first 2 white coats , then a mix between gray and metallic silver using my small roll 2 coats , maybe the metalic is more then the gray so it not exactly 1:1
and this on 3 meter wide projector picture not 5

in real it look better this my morning try and this my best try so far , i like it now i start to see good results :D

after the white coats i wait short time i thought it dry so the gray mix it also mixed with the white under coat , but the final coat was fine

( here some pics but in real they look better my phone camera not that good)

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Looks promising as long as the grain/sparkle is staying out of sight enough that using a higher ratio of metallic can be tried next.

If you find something you like, would you mind posting what paints you used for your mix and roughly what amounts of each were used? There might be others in your region wanting the same thing now or in the future, so if you post your area and paint names they'll be able to pop up when someone else searches for a DIY screen paint in their area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for the paint i used Jotun , to mix the different paint colors i simply use a carton small cups for 1:1 it half and half it is useful and for paint IDs i still trying to find the best color so im not sure it need more tests :)

i already did 3 white coats on black smaple hour ago and i wait it to dry for next 2:1 gray mix with Sliver metallic it will be ready for tomorrow night , this time i did it carefully 2 coats was enough but one more coat make the white brighter maybe that will help then i will give it 3 coat of the mix

and anther white smaple i give it 2 coats of white and 2 coats of the mix and after it dry i will give it 1 more coat and it finish it still need more coat i feel it need one

i also had 2 old samples i paint them with just metallic for test , it look strange maybe it heavy abit and need water or it meant to look like that and leave line and marks but when i mix it with gray i dont see that side effect , i will give it more coat

the black sample it the same it like the other samples but im lucky it blackout so i want to be more careful to make it look good so later i can buy more and used it as my screen :D

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
That weird look you noticed with the plain metallic is mostly what it is supposed to look like by itself..because it shows every little bump and roller-mark or brush-line. Mixing more and more flat/matte grey together with the metallic helps it hide those weird marks better though it also lowers the overall brightness/gain at the same time.

Sometimes the paint will be thick enough to hold bumps and lines more and thinning it with a tiny bit of water can help it lay a little smoother as it dries, BUT too much thinning can make it run or sag before drying which looks very weird with metallic because the flakes gather around the edges of the runs/sags.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i test my samples and here the last one , with gray paint and metalic sliver i mix them in cup around 90% metalic and 20 gray , in real they look better

i still not try the unshiny i can see textures and the dark gray still dim the image that need a fix
so i will make the room ready for the final 5 meter screen and then paint the screen with white and see how it going to be ,

when the room it totally dark
Floast do you think my screen plan will Reduce alot of Reflection lights from the sides wall ? that hit the screen and effect it black level and colors aslo does the black velvet will be effective ?

i think the red curtain will be effective in reduce the light from the side , also the black velvet above between the screen and the curtain ,

if it do then i will paint it with alot of metallic paint mix with litter light gray like what i did in my metalic smaple it boost the contrast and i like it :)

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Yes, the grey+metallic should reduce the amount of light that bounces from the screen onto the walls and it should help lessen how much the light that does make it back onto the screen hurts the image.
I think your plan with the black velvet will help too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
epson 1080 with weak black levels but with black cave it turn to be one of great in his time . to now actually , and here is the paint i want my plan to work so i can use a white wall . if it true then why white i can use a
sliver gray ( a mix between alot of metalic with gray ) it boost the image details and contrasts from my samaples , when the white work just fine then everythings else will work fine too . am i right?

the red curtain front the projector screen from both left and right side is enough with above black velvet and behind it , people make tottal black cave and paid money for that it make me wonder if im missing somethings or my plan it wrong or missing

if i pant the screen with dark gray and play my movie i feel the dark gray is dim the image . a lighter gray will not but it wont fix the black-levels in my white wall , so if my plan work and boost the black levels without painting
i can plaint it instead with sliver gray . a mix between alot of metalic with litter gray . i will see good contrast and details and no problems at all

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
The only bad problems I thunk you might run into:

1. Usually adding enough metallic to significantly increase the color's gain will make the paint very unforgiving so it'll show every non-smooth part of the surface and paintjob much more visibly even from several meters away. It's often what causes the screen to look glittery and really textured.
With a somewhat unforgiving paint-mix you'll need a perfectly smooth surface and you'll usually want to carefully spray the paint on with a HVLP gun or VERY carefully roll it with a low nap roller, ending all rows in the same direction and keeping paint from building up along the rollers edges..which can all be tricky.

2. If your projector is mounted at the closer end of its zoom range and the screen is both fairly dark-colored as well as brightened by a lot of metallic or pearl (or gloss) the chance of it hotspotting and showing a visibly brighter spot near the center will increase. This is why most of the really aggressive light fighting screens recommend using a fairly long throw-ratio.
Your projector can go about as far as 1.5:1 which meets most recommendations, so this shouldn't be a problem if your room is long enough. Plus it's only a problem if you notice it and usually a paint that goes on without looking textured will also mean its gain and color are balanced enough to avoid hotspotting with most projectors.

If your mix seems to show too much texture that it bothers you from your seat, those are two good reasons to use a bit less metallic.

Your plan sounds good. I'm just nervous about using too much metallic because the other person I remember using Jutun made a 3:1 mix while it sounds like you might be using a lot more.
If you're finding something you like, don't let me scare you off..just make sure to check it before painting the large material or wall.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hello again

I still trying to make the red curtain with the pipes and i doing it slowly..

I bought both the curtain and black velvet. The velvet that i bought might be not fot projector use

When i put my phone flash it bright up the velvet and i tried the other more experience ones in curtain shop they also bright up

The one i get was expensive around 3 dollar for meter. With 2 layer a velvet and black shiny plastic and they are not blackout

What slow me down is the pipes my screen it 5 meter so i end up with problems but i fixed them without replacing anythings i bought. :)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts