AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I apologize in advance for any mistakes...this is my first posting.
Can somebody out there please help me ?...I"M DESPERATE....too many 50'' out there to choose....and I don't know anything about this topic....

Ok, I think I narrowed it down and I'm looking to buy either the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY, or the TH-50PX, or the TH-500PX. Before giving me an educated opinion, please keep in mind that I will be using my HD Comcast cable box as well as my surround sound running everything through my Yamaha receiver.

If you could tell me which out of these 3 I should go with and why I will be forever grateful.

Also, I'm thinking of buying this from an online discounted vendor - do you know if the manufacturer's warranty still covers me??

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Pasqb

·
Registered
82 Posts
Heh... not to throw another log on your fire, but there's also the TH-50PHD8UK rumored to be coming out at the end of this month, though it's just the replacement for the 7UY series. In any case, you've definitely narrowed it down to the three 50 inchers Panasonic currently makes! ;)

Basically it sounds like you don't need any of the bells and whistles the panasonic consumer lines come with. If you're content to use component, then the Th50PHD7UY/8UK should do fine out of the box. (Well, if your reseller throws in some free BNC-to-RCA converters... but they usually do!) It's not the perfect set for everyone's needs, but it represents a significant savings over the consumer models.

·
Registered
134 Posts
TH-50PHD8UK is alrdy out $3299

px500u has more options than px50u and also looks better with side speakers

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GT
TH-50PHD8UK is alrdy out $3299
Great... :D

Where?

shane

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seeing as you have to use a STB for the commercial PDP's, how does the image quality compare to the consumer line with a cable card? Does Panasonic plan to ever release a blade for CC?

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
You may wish to consider the long-term possibilities for your 50" PDP. In a couple of years... we will all be buying 65" SED panels and will have to move our current PDPs to another room in our home, you will have a lot more set up options with a TV instead of a monitor.

Additionally... how much money do you want to continue to pay to your cable provider renting their sub-standard STB with no opportunity to pursue the emerging Open Cable standards... (you can't do that without a CableCARD)? CATV providers are IMO, little more than licensed extortionists!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your inputs ....so far one person (OOGT) says to go with the px500u - anyone else?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'd agree with the PX500 recommendation if you're buying online. There, the price gaps from the PX50 are small. At retail, the PX50 might be sufficiently cheaper that it'll entice you.

You could get a commercial model, but assuming you can buy the consumer models for a slight discount to MSRP, the savings will be small. The commercial models are going to run you ~$3200 with HDMI and you'll need a stand, too (might not matter if you wall mount). The PX500 is going to have an MSRP of $4500, but I'm assuming that you'll be able to get it for ~$3800. The PX50, I'd guess, will be around $300 less. (All prices guesstimated from reputable dealers. Check with forum sponsors if shopping online. They are good and won't make you regret buying frm them. Many online retailers can't claim that!)

I personally can't get jazzed on CableCard. Every serious TV watcher is going to have / already has a DVR and the CableCard slot on your TV becomes pretty useless once you do. But the consumer sets carry things like in-home warranties (right?) and sharper looks.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'd agree with the PX500 recommendation if you're buying online. There, the price gaps from the PX50 are small. At retail, the PX50 might be sufficiently cheaper that it'll entice you.

You could get a commercial model, but assuming you can buy the consumer models for a slight discount to MSRP, the savings will be small. The commercial models are going to run you ~$3200 with HDMI and you'll need a stand, too (might not matter if you wall mount). The PX500 is going to have an MSRP of $4500, but I'm assuming that you'll be able to get it for ~$3800. The PX50, I'd guess, will be around $300 less. (All prices guesstimated from reputable dealers. Check with forum sponsors if shopping online. They are good and won't make you regret buying frm them. Many online retailers can't claim that!)

I personally can't get jazzed on CableCard. Every serious TV watcher is going to have / already has a DVR and the CableCard slot on your TV becomes pretty useless once you do. But the consumer sets carry things like in-home warranties (right?) and sharper looks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo29a
How does using a DVR prevent you from utilizing a CableCard?
The cablecard is there to make your TV "cable ready". The idea is similar to the old days of analog material where you just plugged the cable right into your TV and the TV had a tuner that would handle changing chanles. With the move to digital cable, the standards are just not there so the compromise is to provide the ability to accept a card from your cable provider that will allow you to interface to your TV without a box.

If you are using a DVR you don't need all that since your DVR provides the tuner and menus and such. This does not stop you from using the cablecard but the theory is that you would not want to.

-Greg

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo29a
How does using a DVR prevent you from utilizing a CableCard?
It won't provided you split the incoming signal after which you can select the 'TV' input to use the CableCARD or the HDMI/Component input (based on where the box is connected) to select the DVR.

If a "serious TV watcher..." doesn't mind taking a performance hit with picture quality... they should use an external STB.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G
The cablecard is there to make your TV "cable ready". The idea is similar to the old days of analog material where you just plugged the cable right into your TV and the TV had a tuner that would handle changing chanles. With the move to digital cable, the standards are just not there so the compromise is to provide the ability to accept a card from your cable provider that will allow you to interface to your TV without a box.

If you are using a DVR you don't need all that since your DVR provides the tuner and menus and such. This does not stop you from using the cablecard but the theory is that you would not want to.

-Greg
Couldn't you just output the signal from your TV into your DVR? Also, if a CC just makes your TV cable ready then what is the point of builtin tuners? I thought that the only thing that a CC really did was provide you with "permission" to view non-basic channels.

Sorry, I'm still quite the newbie when it comes to this. I try not to ask too many questions and instead do the research myself. However, some of these questions just don't seem to have answers easily attainable without asking.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
If a "serious TV watcher..." doesn't mind taking a performance hit with picture quality... they should use an external STB.
So I've heard. It doesn't seem to be a matter of the CC really being that great, but the STB's that most cable companies send out being absolute crap.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"If a "serious TV watcher..." doesn't mind taking a performance hit with picture quality... they should use an external STB."

I don't know about your STB, but mine (from DirecTV) is quite fine on picture quality thanks -- using OTA HD.

And I like to watch TV on my schedule, not someone else's.

If the guy who doesn't like to take "a hit on quality" wants to cede his personal scheduling to NBC, have at it. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Guys, I too am undecided between the 42" PX500 and the42" PHD8UY. Hopefully someone can recomend which one would be better for me.

Will be using D*

No surround sound system yet(looking to get a decent one)

Want it to be compatable in the future to PC when it becomes a 2nd TV.

I like the color of the commercial model, and the lower price. The negative is that I will need a table top stand so that kind of negates the lower price right there. I am thinking maybe I should get the PX500 model.

Any thoughts from you experts out there. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
cable card in it's current form is less than a red-headed step-child. Most of the compression that people see from digital cable is from the FEED, not from the STB. Yes, it's marginally better, but you lose functional (2-way) guide functions, DVR possibilities (unless you buy a different STB), and you get to watch as a new version of CableCard comes out and makes the card on your 4,000 dollar TV obsolete. Also, the "reason" for cablecard, strictly speaking, isn't to "replace" the cable box's decoder, but to ensure that you've got permission to watch any given channel. A tv with a cablecard slot already has the necessary cable tuner built right in. if the cable company was "nice" (or as some would put it, stupid), then we wouldn't need cablecard at all...just plug the cable into your digital-cable ready tv and go. Just like with analog.

The difference is content control capabilities.

So basically, there will be a new STB someday, but you can't replace the cablecard slot in your TV. When cable starts sending mpeg4 streams (it WILL happen someday), then you'll wish you were renting a STB for 5 dollars a month instead of needing a new TV to see the new HD channels.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
"If a "serious TV watcher..." doesn't mind taking a performance hit with picture quality... they should use an external STB."

I don't know about your STB, but mine (from DirecTV) is quite fine on picture quality thanks -- using OTA HD.

And I like to watch TV on my schedule, not someone else's.

If the guy who doesn't like to take "a hit on quality" wants to cede his personal scheduling to NBC, have at it. :)
Unfortunately some of us are still married to our cable providers... :( at least for the time being. :)

A CableCARD is required to support an Open Cable connection to my CATV provider's wire and gives me an opportunity to take full advantage of my PDPs vastly superior tuner & scalar. My observation using Scientific-Atlanta’s PowerKEY CableCARD versus their SA8300HD-DVR over HDMI is my TH-50PX50U went from rendering a very good picture to one where the color and resolution are now "spot on."

For a $1.75 per month, you can check it out for yourself too. :D

I can't use my PX50Us optical digital audio output to my 6.1 channel receiver without a CableCARD. I'm also confident at some point there will be an HD-Tivo like device that supports CableCARD and then I'll probably buy one of those too! Until then... it's really not that big a deal to me. :rolleyes:

BTW... I’m not going to lose any sleep if I happen to miss the occasional episode of "Lost" or "BSG". ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.