AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me choose a receiver! I just bought Polk m50s, m60s, and cs2s this morning and now I need a receiver to drive them

Here is my usage scenario: I have a decent size apartment - 11' from my tv to my couch. I plan on using the receiver for 20% movies, 35% tv, 30% PS3, and 15% music (hopefully streamed from my Mac somehow - airplay would be a killer app for a receiver but if not I have a toslink cable to hook myself up.)

I'm looking for 5.1, 7.1 (or 7.2) would be great but currently unnecessary. I am looking for something that will hold me over for at least 3-4 years, until I upgrade my whole setup (to 3d, maybe, and probably 7.1)

Right now I really only need a proper iPhone connection to play my music and great SQ. I can get pandora on my tv (vizio xvt) and it will obviously have the appropriate connections to hook up my Mac (toslink optical) and PS3 and cable box. I think I may also need hdmi passthrough if it's one of the "all in one" boxes that will allow you to make a single connection to your HDTV, although if I have this, 1080p upscaling makes no difference to me either way. 3d is also a nonissue.

Also, I've spent about 3-4 hours straight looking at all of these things and have yet to find a good website that will allow me to narrow it down by features like I want to - that's why I'm turning to you guys (along with the fact that I trust your sage advice
)

I've looked at the (approximate model numbers here) pioneer 1120, denon avr-1190. I can get both of those for around $400, but ideally I'd pay somewhere around $200-250. I like the idea of audyssey, but the fact that MCACC let's you tweak also appeals to me. I understand that the 1191 more closely aligns to the 1020, not the 1120. Also, how useful is the Ethernet function on the 1120? Does pio plan to support airplay anytime soon? I know since the 1191 is not networked the idea of airplay is DOA.

Now that all of my rambling is done... Is there something less than ~$400 which will satisfy my criteria? I have the above specific requirements but other than that I am fairly flexible. I like saving money but if the 1120 is really really worth it and it can likely be something I can hold on to for >5 years, I'll spring for it now. I just don't want to overpay and underuse!

Also, how many banana plugs will I need for this setup? I'm going to get them from monoprice but I realized I have no idea if I need two per speaker, 4 to go to the receiver, or what.

Tl;dr: New Polk monitor m50, m60, cs2 Need receiver.

Use: movies/ps3/tv/music

Have Mac - would love airplay

Need iPhone connectivity, great SQ Everything else is just gravy

Found pio 1120, denon 1191, but $400 is a bit much for my blood (although I'll get the 1120 if it's really, really worth it)

Prefer $200-250

Also - how many banana plugs will I need?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the Pioneer 1020/1120 have networking and internet radio that many of the other receivers in the same current price range do not. May be a feature you will want.

banana plugs - at the receiver you need a pair of banana plugs for each speaker (do not count the subwoofer) you will connect. A 5.1 setup will require 5 pair.

Banana plugs are very helpful to connect to the tightly spaced connections at the back of the receiver, but are not required at all at the speaker end. Simple bare copper connections at the speakers are secure and quite adequate.

IF you want banana plugs at the speaker, do not bi-wire them - just use a single speaker cable and one pair of banana's for each speaker

PS: if 3D television is not an issue (HDMI 1.4a) 6ave.com has a great price on the Yamaha V1065 (last years model). http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...u=YAMRXV1065BL

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got off my duff and went to my local bb. They had an open box onkyo 608 (no manuals, remote, or audessey mic) for $250+tax, plus I can return it until Jan 31! I figure that's an incredible deal, so I bought it. I'm looking at about $25 for the remote from onkyo, and I met someone over there who actually has a 608, so I going to try and borrow his mic
if not, $40 for mic+ remote puts me at $300 even for a new receiver, and about $800 including 5 pretty decent speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.