AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the correct forum to post this.

I have a Rocket ELT SW10 with a defective amp (200W). The sub won't even power up. It blows the fuse as soon as the power switch is turned on. The sub is out of warranty. The cost to have the manufacturer repair the sub would be around $200, including shipping charges. Surely I can repair the sub for a lot less than $200. And note that the SW10 is out of production.

I don't want to replace the sub. It's not the money, per se, but, rather, the cherry birch finish perfectly matches my entertainment center, and the sub sits right next to it.

I don't even know where to start. Do I just go to PE to find a 200W amp that fits the opening? When I take the old amp out (with the power cord unplugged), does the old amp retain any juice and, if yes, how do I discharge that juice?

Thanks for your help. I just don't know anything about repairing a sub.

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can just leave the amp off for a while, say 30 minutes, and the caps will discharge themselves.

You can get another plate amp from PE and replace the one in your sub. Just make sure it needs as big as or larger of a cutout so it will work. That info is on their website. You'll probably want to get some weather stripping from the hardware store to make a gasket for the amp if it doesn't come with some foam gasket material.

You're right about just putting in a new amp yourself, it will be less money, easy to do and take less time. You'll have no problem doing this in less than one hour even if you have to open the cutout more.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warner, thank you for your response!

I realize that my sub is far less than exotic, but when it is working it fits my needs perfectly. With that in mind, your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
You're welcome Mike. Yes, it's an easy fix. Just make sure you have the + and - wires going to the right place so you're sub stays in phase. There's no doubt a phase switch or adjustment so even that isn't a big deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.