AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting *really* close to placing the order for my system, here is where I was at today before speaking to the only decent HT shop in the area.

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo

RCA DTC-100 w/ VHDC300 (VGA to component)

ExpressVu 6020 HDTV compatible

Mitsubishi WS-55907 (Diamond series)

Denon AVR-3801

Philips Pronto TSU2000 w/ charger

Pioneer DV-333 (plain vanilla DVD player, already have this)

Silicon Image DVDO Iscan Pro

(still deciding on speakers)

So when I was going over this system with the HT shop today, my salesman told me a couple of things I didn't quite believe or at least I wasn't aware of if they are true. First he said the DTC-100 "compresses" all HD signals to 540p before outputting them, and due to its non-standard scan rate, there will be black bars at the sides of the screen. I told him I thought the DTC-100 would output at 480p or 1080i with high def signals and the 540p was its internal line-doubler for non high def channels. I also thought that the whole scan rate issue was resolved due to the VGA to component box and firmware updates. So what's the deal here? He was pushing Sony's box and I told him I have heard too many horror stories with it.

I was planning on using the Iscan pro with the component outs of the DVD player and the S-Video out from the DirecTivo. He said that the Mits will lock to full screen when fed the 480p signal from the Iscan and thus I will always have to watch in 4:3 and be unable to change display modes to stretch it. I told him I thought only the Elites had this problem, and others I have spoken with who have this set said they can still change display modes with the Mits when using progressive signals.

Also he said that the Mits takes everything it's fed and converts it to 1080i, even if it is fed a native 480p signal from a progressive DVD player or the Iscan. Does this mean that according to him the internal line doubler in the Mits cannot be bypassed with progressive signals? Is there any truth to this, if so what does it imply?

Well I trust most of the people here better than any salesman, so let me know what you think of this and if you would change anything in the system. Basically the DirecTivo will be used for all channels but the high def ones, so that's why I thought the cheaper DTC-100 would be fine. Thanks!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Ok, I'll tackle the RCA part of this.

In HD Monitor mode, the DTC-100 will output all HDTV formats (720p or 1080i) as 1080i. All other sources (480i, 480p, NTSC) will be output as 540p, and the Mitsu will not know the difference between 540p & 1080i for display purposes. Only you will know if you like it better than taking a non-HD S-Video output from the DTC-100 and sending it thru the DVDO. There has been discussion about this here before, but I can't remember the details, try a search for DVDO.

The non-standard scan rate issue has been corrected by a software download from RCA. The current version is A04.37 and it has three user selectable video timing modes to choose from. If the unit you buy has the current software version, fine, if not you will need to hook the DTC-100 up to functional DirecTV dish and you'll get the upgrade in 24 hours, or less.

When using the VHD100, RCA recommends using the "Short Retrace (VHD100 Timing)" setting.

If the Mitsu will take RGBHV in, you should avoid the VHD100 and just use a DB-15 to 5 BNC (with 5 BNC to RCA adaptors) breakout cable, it's less expensive and most users report better results. If you use this method, select "Short Timing (EIA770.3 Timing)" in the DTC menu.

The black bars when viewing 4:3 upconverted non-native HDTV are an issue with all HDTV stb's, not just the RCA. This is how most DTV stations choose to broadcast the non-HDTV images. The stb "sees" a HDTV scan rate and will not let you do a fill, or stretch mode, because it thinks there is image on the full screen.

But, the RCA does have a work around. In the user menu, select the screen aspect ratio of 4:3. Doing that will allow you to get a stretched 4:3 covering the full 16:9 width. Yes, you will have to back & forth in the menu to switch, but at least you have a option, I'm not sure if other stb's give you this ability. Informed sources say the Dish 6000 stb is expecting a software upgrade that will allow you to stretch a 720p or 1080i input.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Ken, you have an incredible command of the DTC-100, and I can't thank you enough for that explanation. Sure would be nice if stores had salespeople who also had such a command of the technical issues.

Since I will just be using the DTC-100 for high def channels, and letting Mr. TiVo handle all the others, the non high def sources that are output at 540p are a non issue. The menu change to be able to stretch the screen doesn't sound too difficult, I can handle most anything that can be done from the comfort of the couch!

And no I didn't win the lottery, just found out that my new job provides me with a company car, so I am letting the company buy mine and thus I have a little extra toy money. I should be saving it but I've waited long enough for my HT!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.