AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a Denon #3801 Amp, i have a LG 52" plasma. this is what i have:

Time warner digital box, coax into the box, HDMI out to my TV, for my amp, i have a S-Video from the tv to the Monitor on the amp, digital optical also. I have a dvd player, works great on vid1, hooked up to the amp with rcs jacks and digital optical, i'm having an issue with hooking up a VCR, RCA cables hooked up to VCR1 on the amp, do i need Coax hooked up from the TV to the VCR, then out of the VCR to my amp? VCR does NOT have digital optical or S-Video.

Thanks,

Sellncars

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellncars /forum/post/16958297

Hello everyone,

I have a Denon #3801 Amp, i have a LG 52" plasma. this is what i have:

Time warner digital box, coax into the box, HDMI out to my TV, for my amp, i have a S-Video from the tv to the Monitor on the amp, digital optical also. I have a dvd player, works great on vid1, hooked up to the amp with rcs jacks and digital optical, i'm having an issue with hooking up a VCR, RCA cables hooked up to VCR1 on the amp, do i need Coax hooked up from the TV to the VCR, then out of the VCR to my amp? VCR does NOT have digital optical or S-Video.

Thanks,

Sellncars

Its hard to say how your receiver works but you will probobly only have a stereo pro logic type signal so the receiver needs to be switched to receive the stereo RCA input.

My unit has a button that sais digital input and when i go from optical to coax i have to select that before i get any sound. When i flip to a stereo input sound like the VCR i have to select "analog" input or i get nothing.

My VCR doesnt have Svideo, optical or coax out either im not sure if any of them did. Are there even VCR movies recorded in 5.1?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Your post confused me. So I will speak in general terms. At no time did I care to have audio to the TV. So all these hook ups assume all audio will go to your AVR speakers.

If you go back to sufficiently far enough, this is how AVR hook ups looked like -

VCR video -> Receiver -> TV

VCR analog audio (L/R) -> Receiver

Now when DVD players got added into the mix with component video, you had a few choices depending on your AVR. One way was to run component video from your DVD player to your TV, and run it's optical or coax digital audio to the receiver.

At some point, receivers added the ability to upconvert non component video to component video. This was handy, because you could now do this -

VCR composite (or maybe S-Video) - > receiver

DVD component -> receiver

receiver component -> TV

VCR analog stereo -> receiver

DVD digital audio - > receiver

In other words you ran a single component video cable to your TV, and switched sources from the AVR. I ran for years like this using a Yamaha RX-V657.

Then HDMI came along. In the beginning, receivers could not necessarily convert to HDMI. So you were back to running two video cables again - one for analog, and one for HDMI. This is assuming you had a single analog video path.

So you get something like this -

Blu-ray player (or cable box, or game box) HDMI -> AVR

DVD component video -> AVR

DVD optical -> AVR

VCR composite -> AVR

VCR analog audio -> AVR

AVR component -> TV (hopefully including VCR composite upconverted to component video)

AVR HDMI -> TV

Of course, in some ways, in this case, it might be simplest to just run all video to the TV, and all audio to the AVR as you still have to switch inputs on the TV. An annoying situation, IMO.

Thankfully, HDMI upconversion came along. So now you have this -

VCR composite (or S-Video maybe) -> AVR

VCR analog audio -> AVR

DVD component (or maybe HDMI) -> AVR

DVD digital (.e.g. optical) -> AVR

Blu-ray (or cable box, or game box) -> AVR

AVR (HDMI video) -> TV

So with the proper receiver, you convert all video to HDMI, and hook up a single HDMI cable

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know my post was a bit confusing, sorry guys. Now my DVD works on AV1, that has the S-video coming from the TV to the Monitor in on my amp. Playstation 2 works great, No matter what i switch on the TV i cannot get Video from my VCR. I get sound because of the Digital Optical.

AV1-----S-Video Cable

AV2-----Nothing

Component1--Nothing

Component2--Nothing

HDMI1/DVI----HDMI cable from Cable Box

HDMI2--------Nothing

RGB-PC-------Nothing

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Sorry your post is still confusing to me.

One thing to note, if your receiver cannot convert video, you need to run a video connector for each type. For example, if you VCR is connected to your AVR with composite, and your DVD with S-Video, you might have to run both cables IF it does not convert.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, i switched with my Panasonic DVD / VCR Recorder / and it has S-Video and Digital Optical. All is good again and even managed to shave some more Wires from the back of the Amp. Thank you again for your help.

Sellncars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.