Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys rock with the helpingness.

I just set up my HTPC with a ATI 9600 running the DVI to Component converter over to my HDTV. The picture is nice but a little fuzzy on the text. I have the newest catalist which had a setting for 1080i which I am using, however I am having 2 problems which I was hopping you could help me with.

I am running a 2 monitor set up with a monitor and the HDTV, it is not a clone setup it acts as 2 separate monitors. The problem is that when I start playing any video file on my monitor it automatically goes full screen on the HDTV. It's not really a problem but I'd rather have control over when it goes full screen and where, I'm sure it's just an option in the catalist but I can't find it.

Now onto the real problem, when full screen video does play on the HDTV it is not in 16:9 (the tv is 16:9) everything plays in 4:3 and if it is in 4:3 it looks great, but not so much for wider ratios. Again the HDTV is running 1080i and the desktop background picture on the HDTV runs the whole 16:9 but when it runs full screen video it blacks off the sides and will only play it in 4:3.

I think that was a pretty comprehensive description of my problems, did I miss anything? Can you help? Oh please help.

-Josh

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wowza, four hours later, 17 views and Zero replies and I am already on the second page. Any chance I could some help? I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Maybe it's me but I haven't been able to get dual independent monitors working well enough so that I could seamlessly work on one display or the other. I think that ATI expects users to have both displays on all the time and their software assumes that. It works much better for me in clone mode. My desktop will always be on either display no matter what. However, if I'm looking to change my CRT resolution I have to do it manually. In addition I'm using the VMR rendering mode for my DVD player software which allows video on both displays either simultaneously or independently. Otherwise you have to switch the display running video to be the 'primary' display. Incidentally I was not able to find out how to designate the primary monitor with ATIs Catalyst Control Center. It's very easy on the older interface, which is still supported.

The 4x3 aspect ratio problem appears to be a software DVD player configuration problem. Which player are you using?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got this set up and I am using VLC player. I have Zoom player but for some reason I can't get things to play correctly on that, everything seems to go in slowmotion, I might have messed something up in the settings or something I need to get with a guide on that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, i'll try that for sure but all the text displayed on the HDTV is really fuzzy, how do you get around that?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Text WILL be fuzzy at 1080i for 2 reasons: 1) it's a fine pixel count, and 2) it's INTERLACED. The older Catalyst versions (pre-5.4) would allow PowerStrip to run which you could adjust the timings. My Sony PJ was SOLID on 1080i timings but some say it's because it was REALLY sending a 540p signal. It may simply be a querk of my PJ but it used to be stable.

What is your HDTV, Catalyst version and OS (ie. WinXP or MCE)?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Schalicto,

I am presently running an ATI 9600XT with the DVI to component Dongle hooked to a Sony 51" 16X9 CRT RPTV. I have the dongle set to 480i, 480p, 1080i, and 16:9. When I play a DVD on the RPTV, it displays it in the 16:9 format. Do you have the dongle switch set to 16:9 and not 4:3. Also, I use a HTPC front end called Meedio which allows me to view pictures, movies, play music, etc. The Meedio front end is designed to work on large screen TVs (monitors) and looks great at 1080i. I personally do not use the Windows Desktop on the Sony RPTV.

Regards,

TCIII

·
Registered
456 Posts
Text is fuzzy because you're outputting a higher resolution than your HDTV could support natively. The HDTV then scales the image to its native resolution, which is probably somewhat less. Hence text looks fuzzy. I'm not familiar with your particular HDTV. I'm guessing the Panasonic is not using 1920x1080 panels. Powerstrip lets you send a native resolution image to your HDTV using 1080i timings. If you do that your desktop should sharpen right up.

Generally you should always try to adjust your PC resolution to the native resolution of the TV. I can't say that the Powerstrip application is required for you or not. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong ... I think Catalyst supports the standard 720p and 1080i timings. Anything else and you have to use Powerstrip. There are Powerstrip guides here in this forum.

·
Registered
456 Posts
... One more thing. If you get your PC to send to the native resolution of the TV then your DVD playback will sharpen up as well.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If you're using Cat Control Center, under video>theater mode, set both displays to standard. Below that, set aspect ratio to source. That should fix your weird problem.

For primary/secondary,you can run display properties, you will see 2 monitors labeled 1&2.

Right click either to choose primary or secondary.

Note: you should be aware of the dongle's Macrovision restriction. On the 1st page of the user's guide will explain that. It basically says you can run your DVD only in 480p. So you will need a program like AnyDVD or DVD43 to remove macrovision on the fly OR rip the DVD to your HDD w/ the restriction removed OR use VGA or DVI if your TV accepts it.

I use VGA>RGBHV to my Mits 65" 1080i RPTV so I don't have this issue.

Now for the 1080i text blurry issue. 1080i TV's cannot resolve lines/text at that res. As you see, they are tiny. The interlacng makes text flicker too. But video and moving images will be converted to 1080iHD. So don't worry about that. I use dual monitors too and the 1280x768 Fujitsu 17" WS LCD monitor is what I use for normal PC functions. The TV for movies, games, HD and others. The TV is the primary so I have to drag all the desktop items like My Computer, recycle bin, etc to the secondary monitor including the Task Bar. The PC remembers this on every bootup.

I've played w/ clone mode for a while but didn't care for the switching part.

Oh BTW, you should run 1776x1000i resolution for no overscan and sharper images. If you cannot do this CCC, then you will need powerstrip.

My X800XL/Mits 65-411 combo gives me stunning 1080i and 720p PQ. W/ your TV adjusted properly, you should have the same experience too.

PS That 9600 may be a little slow for 1080i. If you experience tearing on movies or a 540p image that should be 1080i, a 9800pro(w/c I used for 2 years before the recent X800XL upgrade) may be your minimum requirement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help Miketech, Basement, TJC and Andrew. I really apprecite it. I got powerstrip and I'm a bit confused on how to use it. I checked out the guide on here that is a sticky and I think it was writen in a foreign language because I can't understand it :)

Is there a guide for that with pictures? Also is there a place where I can find what the settings might be for my specific tv?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.