AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Lite-on BD drive about a month ago. Since then 2 of the 4 BDs I own have not worked due to HDCP issues. I'm running AnyDVD and don't have the license ($100) so I can't update the software, though I do have 6.4.5 (or whatever the latest version is) on trial.

Batman Begins and Four Brothers both won't play.

The setup is connected to my Samsung tv, and also was connected to my sammy monitor last night (which is easily capable of hdtv output). Cyberlink pops up and gives me the HDCP error, and Anydvd can't update it's software.

So, I'm down to a few choices I believe:

1. Get a new graphics card that is hdcp compatible

2. Order the AnyDVD software

3. Ditch the HTPC idea and just go with a standalone

I'm worried that if I do either #1 or #2, I'll still have issues with HDCP. I would think a new card would solve my issues, but I don't want to buy a new card, then turn around and get the shaft. Also, I'm really tired of investing money into my computer when I quite honestly don't like using it as my rig. I'm really leaning toward the standalone player for simplicity.

Can I get some opinions on what to do? Mainly, will a new, more modern card resolve these issues? In my head, if I'm spending another $100 on top of the $200 I've spent to get my computer BD ready, I'd rather just sell it all and go with a standalone.

*seems I've made up my mind, but would still like advice*

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/14252269

A new card should definitely fix the problem.

What was your old card?
http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/produ...s.php?gpid=134

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/14252308

Do you do anything else with the HTPC? If not, I'd probably just go standalone.

If the TV was 1080p I'd definately keep it hooked up without question. But, it's only 720p so I rarely use it for anything other than surfing the net.

The one weird, but good thing is that because of this, I rarely get on the internet. Keeps my butt off the couch.

If I got a new card, would this fix the issue? I mean, I wouldn't have to have anyDVD running all the time anymore, would I?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Asking for support of bootleg software is never a good idea in a public forum. That being said, your problems will most likely go away if you buy the licensed version of AnyDVD HD. I believe it's currently on sale for 20% off and well worth the investment. I used to "evaluate" AnyDVD HD and got tired of dealing with the very same issues you're reporting. With your hardware configuration, you should have no problems playing back BD discs nor should you have to deal with any HDCP issues.

OTOH, I have had playback issues with BD and HD-DVD discs ripped to my hard drive when using a Sapphire ATi HD 3650 graphics card. The movie menu would display fine but when I tried playing back the main movie I'd get sound with a black screen. When I switched back to my nVIDIA 8600GT, the problems completely vanished, regardless of which playback codec I use. I can reproduce the same problem every time I reinstall the ATi card and it doesn't seem to matter which driver version I install. I've seen other similar reports from people and the common thread is that they were all using current ATi cards.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never once asked for support for bootleg software. Slysoft's site has 21 day evaluation copies. :fyi:

My current card isn't hdcp compliant. At least, not that I'm aware of. It's nearly 2 years old now. I really think that it's the culprit. I'm worried that if I purchase the copy of AnyDVD I'm bypassing the root of the problem: non compliant graphics card. If I get an HDCP graphics card, I would imagine that I'd not have to worry about this issue, nor would I need anyDVD any longer.

Or am I just wrong?

I'd personally rather spend $50-80 on a good HDCP card, than $100 on 'bypassing' software. At least, that's how I've come to view it.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk /forum/post/14252774

If I got a new card, would this fix the issue? I mean, I wouldn't have to have anyDVD running all the time anymore, would I?

It should, but I couldn't get my "HDCP compliant" setup (all green in cyberlink advisor) without it.

IMO, with the problems that the new "copy protection" on DVDs cause, AnyDVD is all but a must have for even a playback only HTPC. I'd probably get AnyDVD HD and be done with it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to swing by a local BB and pick up a new card. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work, then I know where I stand. I just don't like the idea of 'guessing' until it works, you know?

Quite honestly, if I could RMA my gear back to Newegg I would. I was just so amped on going BD that I didn't think of the practicality of it at the time. someone like me doesn't need a HTPC. Sometimes I learn these lessons the hard way.

But, at the least, if I can get my setup to work it'll get me through until the standalones come down. That was the biggest reason I didn't do that to begin with.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk /forum/post/14253074

Never once asked for support for bootleg software. Slysoft's site has 21 day evaluation copies. :fyi:

My current card isn't hdcp compliant. At least, not that I'm aware of. It's nearly 2 years old now. I really think that it's the culprit. I'm worried that if I purchase the copy of AnyDVD I'm bypassing the root of the problem: non compliant graphics card. If I get an HDCP graphics card, I would imagine that I'd not have to worry about this issue, nor would I need anyDVD any longer.

Or am I just wrong?

I'd personally rather spend $50-80 on a good HDCP card, than $100 on 'bypassing' software. At least, that's how I've come to view it.

Sorry, that was my bad. I missed the part where you were using the 21-day trial version. I had also assumed that you were using a newer graphics card. The 1600 Sapphire card is definitely going to be a problem for HD playback. AnyDVD HD may help you get around the HDCP compliance issue but it's not going to bolster the graphics card performance and get it to process HD playback. It simply doesn't have the juice to do it. Any of the latest ATi or nVIDIA cards should be able to do the job for you at a reasonable cost.

I 2nd the notion that having AnyDVD HD is still a great addition to your HTPC. It just provides more flexibility in the way you play back your HD movies and DVDs. I'd also agree that getting the new graphics card is of primary importance. You can always get a copy of AnyDVD HD when the budget permits.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

My wife is actually wanting to go with a standalone after talking to her about it last night. She doesn't like having to use the mouse to control everything, and if I start spending more $$$ to get the pc to comply with everything (new card, $100 copy of anyDVD) I'll have put in ~$325 into my rig that could've went to a standalone.

I really think I made a mistake by doing the HTPC in the first place. Had I known that I was going to run into compatibility issues I might have thought about the decision more. I did some serious researching for a few days and just never thought about the trial version not working with the BD's. Right out the gate Pirates 2 worked so I assumed everything else would be fine. Then I got stuck with Four Brothers and Batman Begins and I'm a bit annoyed with myself.

My brother in law has a graphics card that is hdcp compliant. I'm going to try it over the weekend and see what happens. If my movies will play with that alone, I'll stick to the HTPC. But, if for some reason I still need to purchase a copy of anyDVD then I'm pretty much dropping this setup for a while... at least until I can come back to it next year and rebuild.

·
Registered
196 Posts
newegg have got 3 different 3650's for about $45 after rebate link which should work fine, though only the HIS one has the hdmi dongle, the others can use dvi -> hdmi cables but won't pass audio.

I'd also recommend getting a remote for the PC, which start at about $15 and go up from there. Couple it with a Vista Media Center plugin to enable bluray playback (if you're running vista home premium), or tinker a bit with Meedio or MediaPortal to get it set up. Getting tid of the keyboard/mouse will go a long way to making the wife happy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my brother in law's graphics card won't run on my computer. It's a beast and I don't have enough room in my case to put it in.

I just went to a local store and picked up a geforce 8400gs for $60. Not a great price, but it will help me figure out if the HDCP compatibility is the issue or not. If the card works, I might take it back and order an ATI HD pro. I would do this in the first place, but paying a 15% restocking fee to newegg in addition to shipping isn't worth the trouble. I'd rather just buy locally to see if it works.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is my personal take on this:

HTPC for:

- MP3

- DIVX

- MKV

- Pics

- Surfing

For BlueRay, DVD and CD I have a PS3. Why? Because there is ZERO hassle. Put the disk in and it works like a charm.

Although my new HTPC will play BR with no problems I still cant be bothered to fiddle with drives, drivers, players and god knows what.

I got a used PS3 and could NOT get a BD Drive, and Software for less to play BR, not to speak of the hassle.

Teac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts