AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going back and forth on subwoofer choices and come to the realization that I need help. There is just no way I can hear the choices that have come to the top of my list. I should say that I listen to movies and music at about 50/50 with most of my music being DVDA. I am looking for a tuneful sub for music at yet powerful for movies.

That list is ...
  • Paradigm Servo 15
  • SVS PB12-Ultra/2
  • REL Britannia B1
  • Velodyne DD12

All are relatively in the same price point for me. The only ones I have heard are the REL and the Paradigm. My first impressions are that the Paradigm didn't handle the real deep (Nemo tap on glass) very well. It bottomed out. The REL handled it very well. The REL also has some high inputs to help out the speakers on the bottom end (useful?)

What I have not heard but am very interested in is the ACI and SVS subs.

I am the average HT user that's out there .. I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to make the educated purchase.

Like so many posts before me (sorry) I need help .. if not to choose the right sub to at least narrow the choices down.

Did I leave any subs off the list that deserve to be there? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Rob

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How large is your room (LxWxH)?

If you have an AV receiver with LFE/sub output (which I assume you do if you are listening to DVD-A), then you will not need to use the sub's speaker-level inputs & outputs.

·
Banned
516 Posts
If you wont cost effective performance that would put all those to shame & own your home go IB. As fine as all the subs you listed are you could build an IB for less money & get much much more from it. And building one is as easy as it gets given you have a space for it, plus no used floor space & stealthy depending on how or where you put it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have thought about IB. The one thing that worries me is placement. I have the perfect room for it (furnace room) off the front right corner of the HT area. I have moved my existing sub there (Athena S3) to get a feel for the sound. While I can honestly say it hasnt done any injustice being there Im still a little nervous about locking in a sub location. I have heard a very boomy IB.

It would go where the speakers plug into the wall in the pic ...
http://members.shaw.ca/pidd/htmar5.jpg

The other

Rob

·
Banned
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiDD
I have heard a very boomy IB.
I would say something was not set up properley, or you were listining to something other than an IB. IB bass is far from being boomy, in fact I thought a previous sono I had was about as flat as it could get untill I built my IB. Now anything I listine to sounds bloated & boomy compared to it. I have never had a sub that blends in so perfect with everything else, & plays so flat.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree like all subs position is very important. If you put the sub in a bad position it can be flat, boomy or maybe perfect. With IB you dont have the luxery of moving it around to get the perfect sound. For those that have them in the right spot I have read that its sub Nirvana! I guess for me .. I am just not sure about that location in my house.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
689 Posts
I see you have an Onix setup, the SVS will come in Rosewood to match. I have the RS1ks, so their powered subs handle most of my music listening. As a result, when my choice came down to a SVS unit after examining all others, then the PB12plus/2 vs. the Ultra/2 you're considering, I went with the +/2. Had I wanted a 'tighter' more musical sub I'd have gone with the Ultra/2. However, with DVD-A I can't say I'm unhappy with the +/2 either.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If IB is not practical or doable (my 1'st choice) then out of the 4 listed I'd have to take the SVS dual ultra box.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Did I leave any subs off the list that deserve to be there?
Nice theater Rob! It has a nice sleek look to it and is well organized.

One other option you might consider is two PB12-Ultra's? One in each front corner or colocated? That would be for you to figure out, but it is a nice option to consider.

Sticking to your list though, including the Maestro, my vote/experience would lean towards the PB12-Ultra/2 in the 20 Hz tune option. I have not listened to the Paradigm Servo 15, but I think it would be fairly close to what the ACI Maestro has to offer which is a compliment. In your size room, I would go dual, unless you have a NF placement option that you know you like.

The PB12-Ultra/2 would match the rest of your setup including offering the best performance imo though.. . If you went the dual PB12-Ultra's, or the dual PC-Ultra's for that matter, it would afford you another 3-5 dB in headroom in the 16-25 Hz range, with the option of tuning them down to the 16 Hz option. Your room seems to be closed off, so the PB12-Ultra/2 would do quite nicely I'm sure.

What ever you go with, I would suggest you do it like they do up in Alaska> Do it big and do it right! Your room deserves it. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
what is IB ?

I too am looking for a subwoofer that will add to the HT experience.

And am poor too so looking for a decent bang for the buck.

Thanks

subwoofer newbie

Mark

·
Banned
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird1963
what is IB ?

Thanks

subwoofer newbie

Mark
Infinite Baffle, An easy way to say it is a really large sealed system. It uses an adjacent room, crawlspace, ext as the enclouser. They are very easy to build because there is no complex design for a enclouser, require little power to drive, & yeald very clean undistorted bass. There are some do's & don'ts to it but still very simple to build.

For more information go through the FAQ pages over at The Cult of the Infinitely Baffeled forum. You can see mine on my homepage as well.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird1963
what is IB ?

Thanks

subwoofer newbie

Mark

Link, http://www.f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have listened to a few subs lately .. the Seismic 12, Servo-15 and the REL Britannia B1. I have to say I am very impressed with all of them. If SVS is in the same league (some say better) then I cant see that I can go wrong with the Ultra/2.

My only fear is that the Seismic and REL really blended well and produced very will tones with music (Steely Dan)... can the SVS?

Rob

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Blending is more a function of set up than anything else. Placement and phase being the most critical. To me it's more important than the brand of sub. So yes, the SVS will blend with your speakers, as will most subs when set up properly.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
PiDD,

The SVS should blend with "the best of them" for music. Blending is more of a function of integration, but some subs may be easier to integrate than others depending on your room and situation.

In my particular case, I have my sub in the nearfield location (right behind my listening position). For some reason of the 20 subs I've owned, sealed subs seemed to "disappear" better with music. Movies were never a problem. That said I did have a few ported subs that did sound very good with music and others that did not. I have a feeling the Ultra would do very well in the nearfield position though. And if you are going to locate it near your mains, then I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about. Keep in mind I've never owned the SVS Ultra/2, but from what I hear it is one of the absolute best out there near it's price range!

I don't know if it's actually the ported design itself or it's integration with my room in the nearfield position, but I could never get that "seamless" blend that would make the sub totally "disappear" with any of the designs I owned when crossed over at 80Hz. With the ACI Maestro the "disappearing act" is 100% though!

Best regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Quote:
My first impressions are that the Paradigm didn't handle the real deep (Nemo tap on glass) very well. It bottomed out.
The Paradigm Servo 15, will not bottom out period, the design won't allow it. I find it very hard to belive you heard it bottom out, imposable.

The Servo 15 is more then capable of playing anything you through at it, I have had mine at reference level and feed it every one of the strongest bass hit's in movies you could think of, it handles them all with ease. For music it really shines, IMHO there's not one sub in it's price range that will beat it.

Here's a great review, buy another forum member.

Servo 15 review

Redhouse

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiDD
Thanks for the response Patrick.
Not a problem PiDD, glad to help.

I searched long and hard for a sub myself, 20 subs in about 6 years. With the Maestro, I've found the one for me. Others are very happy with the Ultra, I seriously doubt you can go wrong with either the Ultra/2 or Maestro, and for that matter the Servo 15. To be honest, IMHO, the REL and the DD12 will not give you as much output as the other 3 by a long shot, especially in that size room.

Good Luck,

Patrick

·
Registered
247 Posts
Rob, are you set on a commercial sub?

As you are aware, I've cooked (ok, mechanically damaged) my 1200 watt BP-1503 based AS-15 based Ariel based DIY sub with too much "exuberance" and now require a re-cone kit. I can't necessarily recomend a DIY ported alignment based on this experiance.

CSS can sell you a new Tumult for about 150 bucks more than I paid for my "landed" 1503, and a really sweet LT circuit can be relatively easilly installed in the Adire plate amps to augment a sealed enclosure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.