AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, I have read many articles on frame dimming, local dimming, micro dimming, full array local dimming and the list could go on...

I read contradicting articles and it is a bit overwhelming. I live in the Metro Vancouver, Canada area and while there are a lot of places to go look at TV's there are not a lot of places that have dark rooms. There are some fairly dim rooms at some showrooms but nothing approaching what I would call dark.

Are there any LCD TV's out now or soon to be released that will do the following for me:

-Black out top and bottom bars for ultra wide content.

-Black out the side bars for 4:3 content.

-Be blacker in general in the dark, during darker scenes. I will use my current TV, a 55" Sony 802A model as an example. It has full frame dimming and it does it quite poorly in the dark. I would turn it completely off but you can't turn it completely off. The only real settings are Utter Garbage, Garbage, Blah and Least Amount of Garbage. TV is great in the daytime and also in evenings however! :)

Are any of the three listed above a Mission Impossible for me on a current/soon to be released (2014) LCD screen? Heck, I would be happy for 2 out of 3.

I do not wish to invest in a plasma at this time.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The one you want is full array local dimming.

The rest are just regular LCD's with gimmicky auto dimming features when the screen is all black.

FALD turns on, off & dims sections of the TV. The highest current full array local dimming was teh Sharp Elite which had something like 300+ "zones" that would each individually turn on & off.

The current Vizio E series i super cheap & a full FALD set, but it only has 9 zones.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles2  /t/1524192/i-need-help-you-may-call-it-dimming-for-dummies#post_24526069

Ok, I have read many articles on frame dimming, local dimming, micro dimming, full array local dimming and the list could go on...

I read contradicting articles and it is a bit overwhelming. I live in the Metro Vancouver, Canada area and while there are a lot of places to go look at TV's there are not a lot of places that have dark rooms. There are some fairly dim rooms at some showrooms but nothing approaching what I would call dark.

Are there any LCD TV's out now or soon to be released that will do the following for me:

-Black out top and bottom bars for ultra wide content.

-Black out the side bars for 4:3 content.

-Be blacker in general in the dark, during darker scenes. I will use my current TV, a 55" Sony 802A model as an example. It has full frame dimming and it does it quite poorly in the dark. I would turn it completely off but you can't turn it completely off. The only real settings are Utter Garbage, Garbage, Blah and Least Amount of Garbage. TV is great in the daytime and also in evenings however!

Are any of the three listed above a Mission Impossible for me on a current/soon to be released (2014) LCD screen? Heck, I would be happy for 2 out of 3.

I do not wish to invest in a plasma at this time.

Take a look at the Samsung UNXXF8000 series. It lacks dimming of the 4:3 side bars but works like a champ in your other areas of concern. It does blacks as well as anything I've seen, it outdoes all but the best plasmas imo!

And, it includes a "Smart Evolution Kit"; it will allow you to upgrade your set at the fraction of the cost of replacement. The value of this remains to be seen, but it has great potential!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts