AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on putting a front projector in a spare room. Light wont be an issue. It just seems like so much work to run all the wires and mount the projector. I would also have to swap ceiling fans for one with not lights that hang down.

Maybe I should just a get a 60" + back lit set.

Are you guys really that blown away by your front projectors? I need some convincing!

·
Banned
1,996 Posts
If you have a good receiver with HDMI passthrough you can keep all your components up front (video game systems, DVD/Blu-ray players...etc.). All you would have to do is run a single HDMI cable from the audio receiver to the projector. I have an Onkyo 606 and it does the trick. When I decided to buy my first projector, it was the 480p Infocus IN72, I had a 42" 720p rear projection television. After hooking up that projector I knew I would never go back. Not only that, it amazed my wife as well, she is not into technology. Now that you can get a 1080p for less than 1k, it is definitely time to take the plunge! Would you rather have a 100" screen, or a 60"?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
It does take a little more work planning everything as far as equipment position, projector position, screen size/type, mounting options for the PJ, etc. But honestly, once you go the PJ route, you'll be glad you did.

My projector journey started a couple years ago. At the time, I had a 52" 720p DLP on a stand with all my equipment underneath it in the family room. I picked up a used Panasonic ae1000u PJ, got a 25' HDMI cable, and on "movie nights", I switched the HDMI output from the TV to the projector, used a 92" portable screen, and put the PJ temporarily on an end-table. This was okay for about 2-3 months, then I knew I needed a dedicated room. I had enough speakers in my closet, as well as a spare receiver, so I just moved my PJ downstairs to our all-purpose room and got a 110" pull-down and a ceiling mount for the PJ. Fast forward 2 years, and that room is now a dedicated 7.2 theater with tiered seating, a Panasonic ae3000u throwing onto a 136" 2.35:1 fixed Carada screen, IR-remote controlled 2-zone lighting, etc. I've got a 60" Kuro Elite (151) in our family room now with a 5.1 setup, and I would find it very difficult to actually sit and watch a movie on it (it makes for a very nice "everyday" TV, though). It was an okay stand-in while I was completing construction of my dedicated room downstairs, but I was sure happy when the room was finished.

Do some research, make sure you know what you're doing (and what you WANT to do), and jump on in; you'll eventually wonder why you even hesitated.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I have played some games on my PS3, including COD4. I would NOT call myself a gamer. However, I didn't notice any issues with lag. That's not to say that it isn't an issue, though. I believe there's a thread somewhere on AVS regarding gaming lag issues when using projectors, but I'm too lazy to look for it for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhall812 /forum/post/17002405

Do either one of you do any gaming? There is no lag gaming wise?

I played 3 games of MLB The Show (Road to the Show mode) on my pj last weekend and immediately had to tweak the difficulty as with such a bigger picture I saw the ball so well I homered 7 times in 9 at bats.

I imagine it could vary from setup to setup but with my current Mitsubishi HC6500 and former Panasonic AE700, it did nothing but enhance the experience.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I project from my coffee table, because I don't own my home and the ceiling fan is in the way, but it's awesome. I've owner several projector starting about 6 years ago or so. I've been blown away every year. Every year it seems they get better and even cheaper than before. My jaw hit the floor the first time I fired up a projector, which was an Infocus X1 Demo I got sent for free (minus S&H). It blew me away so much that I ordered it for $1000 within a few days and enjoyed it for nearly two years before upgrading. Eventually over time I started reading forums about the bigger and better and desired to see what improvements could be made.

I upgraded to a CRT at first and as good as my X1 was the CRT annihilated it. Then I got an Infocus 4805 480p unit and it blew away my X1 too, but still came up short against the CRT, but I was happy to see the huge improvements in blacks, shadow detail and contrast.

Then I decided I wanted more plug and play compared to my CRT, but with even better black levels than my 4805 and better shadow detail, so I upgraded to the Sharp DT-500 and it blew me away in a similar way that the CRT did when I first got it. Both have their advantages and disadvantages compared to one another, but both are absolutely amazing.

Get a projector. A 60" TV cannot compare to the theater experience. No way, no how. Those things are a joke compared to the front projection experience. If you want a tv experience use a tv. If you want a true theater/home cinema experience front projection is the way...the light. You haven't seen the light til you go with front projection.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
What are the dimensions of your "spare room"?

Too much work is a very subjective thing. Our projector was up and delivering a Theater sized WOW in about four hours and most of that time was assembly and hanging of the Da-lite fixed wall screen.

We just put the projector on a simple wall shelf and ran a HDMI cable down and along the base board to a free standing entertainment center that has the DVD player, game systems and HDTV source.

The entertainment center also has a 56in 1080p TV and as someone already posted little televisions in that size range just can't deliver a true Theater in the Home WOW experience.

Sounds like a spare room set up is NOT a fancy dedicated theater room so if ya ain't too particular you can have projection going without too much trouble (subjectively speaking).

TVs are getting interesting as they continue to get bigger and bigger.

Our PJ screen is 96in wide allowing a 100 inch plus diagonal image. Mits has recently released a 82 in. RPTV for under $3k and I have to admit that when tvs reach a 90 plus inch diagonal size we will probably look at making the switch - I LOVE the Theater WOW that only projection can deliver today but having to always sit in the dark to get that experience is a Negative aspect - IMO.

GoodLuck

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The big screen is a different category of experience from any Tv you can mount on a wall. Projection of TV or movies seizes the viewers' attention and captivates it. Think of having your favorite sofa in the movie theater of your choice, with your family and friends around, and the option to pause whenever you want popcorn. It is better than that. What makes it better? The sound is better, but that's another story.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Over the years I've had a V series 32" 4:3 Sony, a 56" 16:9 Toshiba (before there were HD sets), and 65" Sony XBR (16:9 HD). None compared with front projection. It was the best addition I ever made and truly made it a home theater.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My PJ room is 12x12, my screen is 92" diagonal and I sit about 10 to 11 feet away from it.

Here are my reasons to go PJ:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
recon.

that looks pretty darned good.

what projector ?

is that on a screen ? looks like just the wall, the same color, it looks like, as my wall.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I have a grey painted screen using the EasyFlex-06 formula from the DIY screen section of the AVS Forum. There is no black border, the wall color is stucco, and the ceiling is white. Just think how good the picture would be in a dedicated HT room!

My PJ is an Optoma HD70.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassady /forum/post/17021865

Reconlabtech,

I sent your post to my wife who is on the fence about the PJ inasmuch as we don't have a "dedicated room."

Thank you for the evidence to support my case.

Glad to help. I've had a few guys bring their girlfriend/wife over to see this in person and every time has resulted in a purchase!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts