AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope the z1 version of smart III finished soon because I need it. My image looks good 95% of the time but even still, I want to have the piece of mind it is "correct" so I am dying in my wait to calibrate it with smart III.

What is the digg between the generic version of the smart software and the PJ specific ones? Obviously stuff like what values to change in the menus but anything else?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
SMART III for the Z1 is just a few days away!!!!

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah? Awesome!!:)

Oh and just to be more clear to anyone who might read my initial post, when I say I want to have my image "correct" I mean correct colour balance.:) Sorry if it was implied I meant something else.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
I've heard that now for about a month :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looking forward to this to.

Does smart calibrate to a calibrated projector at the smart HQ or does it calibrate to 6500?

Never got to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Does smart calibrate to a calibrated projector at the smart HQ or does it calibrate to 6500?

Rone,

Smart can't measure color (like D65) or color temperature (like 6500), so it can't calibrate to those standards.

To measure color, you would need to use a hardware device that is designed to measure color (like a chroma meter, spectroradiometer or colorimeter).

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ROne

The COMPLETE answer here is that SMART is a tool that calibrates by comparing the relative values between your projector and a known source. That known source is not only a calibrated projector, but also a GretagMacbeth 6500 source.

As we've said before, SMART does not measure absolute color temperature, it measures relative color tempetature against a source that is known to be accurate. This method is proven to be an accurate way of calibrating projectors. To further improve this accuracy, each light meter that is part of the SMART kit is calibrated against this known source.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve Smallcombe,

Nice review:)

Hey SMART guys...this is my question:

Like most here, I have gone into the service menu to adjust the rgb settings there (1-3, 10-15) and after doing adjustments, I have a slight purple bias in some of my low-mid IRE values. Will using the SMART III product fix this? I know it is a case of playing around wiht the service mode settings. Before I played around to try and get the greyscale more accurate, the image was a little too red like Steve said in his review.

So yeah, I want to fix the slight purple bias and get the greyscale more grey and want to know if SMART will fix that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Steve,

Great review! I just received my 1HD the other day and am getting ready to start tweaking. Could you post your service menu settings so others can get their Z1/1HD calibrated as well as yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hmm.. you mention in your review that you measured light output at 18 ft lamberts at the (80 in wide) screen, once tweaked, or 400 lumens, almost half the rated output. A lot of other reviewers have mentioned that the Z1 is one of the brighter projectors in this range, despite it's 700 lumens rating, so this seems a tad lower than I was expecting even for a tweaked, balanced Z1.

This means that either the Z1 isn't always as bright as some reviewers have found (some variance amongst units?) or that the other projectors in this range (300U, X1) are even dimmer than I thought.

Any thoughts?

Great review, by the way :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
It was surely in theater black mode!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Steve,

Thank you for the interesting review. I would like some clarification on the vertical lens shift capability of this unit. Your lens shift assessment seems to suggest that the Z1 can shift the image several inches above a point perpendicular to the center of the lens. The owners manual I've looked at seems to indicate the the upward extreme of the lens shift would leave the bottom of the image level with the center of the lens.

When you suggest that a table-mounted Z1 be no more than 10 inches below the bottom of the screen, how much of this vertical distance can be made up by lens shift, how much by tilting, and how much by keystone correction?

Is the ten inch recommendation based on the 80 inch or 90 inch screen you tested with? Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If I remember correctly the 10 inch measurement was when I was trying to use the 90 inch screen. My impression was that the lens shift was good for fine tuning, limited in its range, but still very useful. A combination of tilting and keystone can obviously cover a much larger range. Hopefully this is a matter some other Z1 owner can confirm or correct.

Steve

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So Steve, you are saying that SMART is an alternative calibration method that is DIY-able and in theory produces results that are somewhat comparable to an ISF calibration?

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Steve! The review has wrong date I think. (2002)

Nice review by tht way :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any news?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
now over 2 weeks since you said that. what's up?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by balagee
Any news?
Ask (and wait a couple of weeks) and you shall receive! :)

SMART III for the Z1 is now available at Enhanced Home Theater

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.