AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of post like this but I've done about a weeks worth of internet searching and I'm still not sure what to do. I've got a media room that is 14' x 15' with a 47" Toshiba REGZA 1080p 60Hz LCD television and a Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-Ray player. I love the picture quality but the screen is too small for the room. I've looked into a bigger LCD but they only go to about 55" and I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference. So I'm thinking about getting a front projector. I'm thinking about the Sony VPL-VW60 and projecting it to a 100" to 110" fixed screen where the television is currently located. I'm thinking about mounting the projector to the ceiling which would put it about 12.5' from the screen. I can make the media room as dark as I need to so that is not an issue. I know I'm probably going to loose some contrast by switching to a projector, but will I loose any resolution? I really love how I can see the individual hairs on the mice in the Blu-Ray version of Ratatouille with my current setup. Will I still have that kind of a resolution quality with this front projector? I'm also confused on what type of screen to get. White, Gray? Are the $2500 screens that much better than the ones that only cost $650? I would like to use a fixed frame screen. I will mainly use this for movie watching but I will have a cable box and PC hooked up to it as well. Anyone got any advice? Should I consider a differenct projector in that price range?

I tried going to my local A/V shop to check out the projector, but they only had it hooked up to an HD cable box, no Blu-Ray player.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

Mike

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
JumpingGecko -- Mike, welcome to the AVS Forum.

Remember, most of the new projectors (PJs) are introduced at CEDIA, which is held, every year, during the first week in September. The 2009 CEDIA is only about 4 weeks away. Therefore, I would suggest that you don't buy any PJ until you can see what features will be coming from the new designs (improved contrast should be one).

Your best source (most thorough, IMHO) of the most current reviews is posted on Art's site: www.projectorreviews.com . To get an idea of the comparisons, you might want to read over his summary of last years (2008) 1080p projectors here: http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080...ctor/index.php . The next best review site (but Evan only provides thumbnail results) is from: www.projectorcentral.com . They also have a very good projection distance calculator: http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm . This is an interactive chart with sliders so you can adjust all of the variables (except for vertical PJ positioning - they don't include the effect of lens shift). Also, don't depend on the "lumen screen brightness" numbers. They don't tell us how they calculated those, so there is no frame of reference.

As for picture sharpness (seeing the hairs on Ratatouille), there won't be any difference between a 1080p plasma (you didnt' say what size) and a 1080p PJ -- if you sit at the same relative distance (which most people don't).

For example, I have a (new) 32" 1080p (Samsung UN32B6000, LED) LCD HDTV set and a 1080p (Mitsubishi HC5500) PJ projecting on a 106" screen. We sit at 11.5' from the 106" (retractable) screen and about 13' from the 32" set (which is behind the screen). The 32" set appears, obviously, sharper at those distances (it's 11 x smaller too). However, the contrast ratios (CRs) are very close to identical (to my eyes, and with the same, low level of, ambient light in the room). I have calibrated my PJ, but only did some minor tweaking of my 32" set. With the more expensive PJs, discussed in this forum, the relative CR should be even closer (the more expensive PJs may also use better lenses).

With your 14' x 15' room, your biggest problem will be to find an acceptable PJ that has a short enough throw distance to fit, and be able to fill, your 100" to 110" screen. BTW, my LR/HT is 13' x 26', my screen is 4' from the front wall and my PJ is on a shelf, and 12.5' from the screen (behind our couch).

The bottom line, your media room will greatly benefit from using a front projector. Once you watch movies on a large screen, you won't want to watch them on any of your "small
" plasmas. My 1080p PJ is so good that I'm averaging 200 hours a month on it (HDTV + movies), "by demand
". I was running around 1/4 of that on my lower resolution, (720p and less) projectors.

NOTE: A 106" screen has about 4.5 times the screen area of a 50" set. That difference will make a 50" set look "small". At 11x smaller, my 32" set looks "puny" in comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi CT_Wiebe,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. You commented...

"With your 14' x 15' room, your biggest problem will be to find an acceptable PJ that has a short enough throw distance..."

I'm placing the projector about 12.5 feet from the screen. Should'nt that be far enough for a 100" screen? How do I find out what projectors are ideal for that distance?

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingGecko /forum/post/16984752

Hi CT_Wiebe,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. You commented...

"With your 14' x 15' room, your biggest problem will be to find an acceptable PJ that has a short enough throw distance..."

I'm placing the projector about 12.5 feet from the screen. Should'nt that be far enough for a 100" screen? How do I find out what projectors are ideal for that distance?

Thanks again,

Mike

In answer to your questions regarding your room size and the VPL-VW60, check your AVS pm mailbox: "You've Got Mail!"

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Lets start by saying that if the picture on the projector with HD cable looks good, then the picture from a BR player will look even better. AS for calculating where your projector should be, check out www.projectorcentral.com . They have a calculator that has the specs for most of the projectors out there and it will tell you what kind of throw distance you will need based on the projector and size of screen.

You may or may not know that we sell home theater equipment on the forum and would be more than happy to discuss your options with you

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a VW60. My room is 20 x 16 feet. I have mine projecting in the 16 foot direction onto a 120 inch diagonal screen.

As my projector is actually mounted in the garage behind the seating, and projects through a plexiglass port, all I can say is that I can fill up the whole screen from 16 feet away.

Mine is not a dedicated theater, but a dual use theater/den. I have my home bar in it, fireplace and shiny wood floors. There is a lot of white in the room.

Even though my gray screen comes down in front of the bay window, and effectively blocks that light, there is still ambient light coming from elsewhere.

The detail on it is very good. Personally I don't love seeing mouse hairs, but I can. I have Blu Ray and that looks outstanding on it. Recently watched Peter whatsisname's "King Kong" . breathtaking. The hdmi signal going to the projector comes out of an Onkyo unit.

If you truly can block out all light and darken your surfaces, you can go with a white or silver screen, which will give you another boost in brightness- it's good the way it is on brightness, but some people enjoy extra brightness which screen color and light control can get you .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts