AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been cruising through several threads and geez, you guys are deep into this stuff!!! What a way to find out what you don't know.....

I have a Mitsubish WS-65907 Diamond HD ready TV. Currently I have an RCA Directv Ultimate TV receiver hooked up. The picture quality is not very impressive, in fact it's pretty dissapointing given the investment in the TV. The local AV store I purchased the TV at is not much help either.

I want to move to an HDTV Directv receiver. Is there a unit that is more 'campatible' with the Mitsubishi than others? Of course, the AV store says to buy the Mitsubishi HDTV receiver, but I know there are others out there that might be better.

I also don't seem to be able to find a HDTV receiver that is both Directv and Ultimate TV. Is there one out there? I'd definitley go that way if there was.

I don't mind buying a separate receiver and PVR if I have to, but if I can avoid it I will.

I also need to be able to get OTA HD signals and want an indoor antenna. Any advice?

Also, is it worth having someone who knows what they are doing come out and 'tune' the TV. I have read about all of the different adjustments that are possible but there is no way I can do that myself. I've read about some disc called AVIA, I think, but don't know where to find one. I hesitate to open the set myself to make adjustments but the picture seems to need something done to it.

DVD's are good, but not spectacular. I was expecting much more from the set.

Can anyone help?:confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
JustRace -

My advice is to do some searches and read the FAQs here....you'll find out lots of info, almost all usable.

there really isn't a "compatible" STB that fits the mits tv - they'll all work just fine. I've got a Mits 55411 and a Mits HD5 STB (because I found the STB for a good price on ebay), it's all a personal choice, and what features are important...the new Sony and Zenith boxes are loaded with features, but are you willing to pay $700 + for them???

there is no PVR that'll record in HD, and no HDTV receiver that I know of that is also a PVR...again, do some searches here and read....

Antennas - well, have fun, there are as many answers there as questions - poke around in the HDTV reception forum and see who's close to you (do some searches and reading), your answer is probably there.

Last - there are lots of posts on the ISF calibration services - once you get your tv out of torch mode, and eliminate the red push that all Mits sets seem to start with - you can determine for yourself if you want to go to that level.

·
Registered
948 Posts
JustRace,

I can't help with the STB, I'm new to this as well. Just keep reading the threads. You'll find a lot of info on STB's. I've read most and still can't decide.

The Avia DVD is available online. Just look it up on a search engine, Yahoo or goggle both work. You'll find a link to a site that offers them.

Good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a Mitsu. WS65869 with a Hughes E86 STB and it works well. I have a Toshiba DST-3000 also hooked up to Hitachi HDTV and the two units are almost exact. The Hughes makes Toshiba, Mitsu, and there own STB. The advantage of the Hughes over the Toshiba is the Hughes has RF remote. If you do not need that then they are all basically the same. I would say go with a DirectTv receiver because if you don't want the satilite subscription then you can still use the box for local reception, unlike the OTA STB, or Dish HD receivers which you have to be a subscriber to get local OTA channels.

I hope I didn't confuse you more, I think I confused myself.

·
Registered
972 Posts
You could just add a less expensive OTA-only set top box and keep your existing STB w/UltimateTV as I am doubtful that you are going to much improve your regular, mega-compressed satellite channels. I have an older RCA stb for regular satellite and I pull locals OTA (Hitachi 65XWX20b w/internal ATSC tuner).

I have quickly learned that satellite just doesn't look very spectacular on anything bigger than about 32" IMO. Some would argue that a clean analog cable signal would be better. Getting a clean signal would be the trick and I'm not too fond of cable companies in general.

I can't help you with indoor antenna as I have an outdoor one that works like a charm.

Rich

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
A Zenith STB will greatly improve the picture on standard def stuff over the Mits crappy line doubler. I hear that the Panny's doubler is quite good too. I'm not sure about the new Samsungs but I expect that the latest generation STBs all to have improved upconvertors.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If DVDs do not look all that good on a HDTV, make sure you are using component video from the DVD player to the HDTV. If you don't, the picture will be limited in its quality to the quality of the connection.

Of course, DVDs are not close to HDTV. They should be good however.

Rick R

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'll give you some general advice which may help you the most.

I have a 73903 with a DTC-100. The DTC is just about as good as any STB out there at this moment and probably the least expensive. When you look at all of the STBs available now, they are all lacking in some way as far as features go.

Read the threads on the Dish PVR921. It should become available within the next 3 to 6 months. Large hard drive, high definition time shifting, HD OTA tuner, 1394 connections, etc. If the NFL package from Directv isn't important to you, this unit appears to be the Holy Grail of STBs. No confirmed price yet but everyone is guessing in the $1K range.

This is the only unit that I would change for at the moment.

If you can't wait, find an open box DTC or other unit or go to Ebay for the best deal.

You have one of the best HDTVs there is. With your Diamond Mits ISFed (about $500) and a good line doubler/scaler, a good DVD should knock your socks off and it can be virtually as good as HD. Avia will help a lot but there is a lot more that probably needs to be done.

Take it one step at a time. You are at the right place for help.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.