AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this is the first time I will ever be buying brand new parts and putting a computer together. I have built/added to computers in the past, but never EVERYTHING new. I want to build an HTPC that I can use to watch video_TS folders of SD DVD (no HD or Blu-Ray as I do not even have a TV capable yet), watch .MP4 and .AVI DVD Rips, listen to music, watch youtube video, burn DVD's, and function as a PVR for digital TV (again not HD). My only real constraint is that I am trying to keep this system under 400 dollars, if possible...

So far I have came up with a list of components that I plan to use, but this is where I need your advice. Are the components going to be sufficient for what I want to do?

Case: Old case or radio reciever I am going to modify in an R&D class (reason I am building a computer in the first place.)

Power Supply: RaidMax 450w PS

Motherboard: MSI Micro ATX

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000

Memory: OCZ Platinum 2GB

DVD Drive: Sony 20x DVD Drive

OS HDD: 80gb I have already

Media HDD: WD 500gb 7200rpm Sata

Video Card: Cheap Sapphire 256mb card w/ S-Video (will get replaced when I get an LCD instead of this CRT TV)

TV Tuner: Leadtek WinFast HDTV Cinema

Wireless Card: Motorola PCI Card I already have

Input Devices: Remote (comes w/ TV Tuner) Mouse and keyboard I already have.

A few more things, noise really doesnt bother me all that much, unless this things is going to sound like a jet, but just like your average PC, thats fine. Also, like is said already, ATM I have no need to play HD content, but could I on this machine? Also, does anyone have any suggestions/comments on the hardware I selected?

Thanks, and I know this is a long post, but I really do not want to get anything wrong when doing this for the first time. Again, thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Motherboard: Instead of getting a cheap motherboard and video card, get a proven HTPC motherboard with quality integrated video such as the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H . This gives you every type of video output (VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component/Svideo/Composite) and is fine for SD DVD and HDTV. It will serve you well even after you upgrade your display.

For Bluray/HD-DVD playback you would need to add a separate video card or at least a faster CPU (5000+ or better). You will be fine for HDTV, even with the integrated video.

TV Tuner: Can you clarify what you mean when you say a PVR for digital TV, but not HD? You'll want to make sure this is supported by Media Portal. Be aware that the one you have listed is a hybrid (not dual) tuner. It means that although it can tune both analog and digital stations, it will only do one at a time.

Everything else looks ok...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodgrass /forum/post/12972706

Motherboard: Instead of getting a cheap motherboard and video card, get a proven HTPC motherboard with quality integrated video such as the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H . This gives you every type of video output (VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component/Svideo/Composite) and is fine for SD DVD and HDTV. It will serve you well even after you upgrade your display.

Wow, I really didnt even see that, it saves me money now AND in the long run, and is a smaller form factor which will give me more room in the case. Thanks!

Quote:

For Bluray/HD-DVD playback you would need to add a separate video card or at least a faster CPU (5000+ or better). You will be fine for HDTV, even with the integrated video.

I think that once prices of blu-ray/HD-DVD drives come down alot (or to a reasonable price) I will replace the regular DVD drive with one and at that time can put in a nice video card, and maybe even upgrade the CPU.

Quote:

TV Tuner: Can you clarify what you mean when you say a PVR for digital TV, but not HD? You'll want to make sure this is supported by Media Portal. Be aware that the one you have listed is a hybrid (not dual) tuner. It means that although it can tune both analog and digital stations, it will only do one at a time.

Soo... How hard is it to get it to switch from digital back to analog. I think I am going to get this card either way, but I am just wondering? And what I meant by the HD thing was that I didnt care if it was capable of HDTV or not, not that i DO NOT want it to pick it up if possible, sorry about the confusion.

Quote:

Everything else looks ok...

The only other thing I was worried about was the power supply, will it be reliable for a while or should I just spend the little more now and get a better one? I was trying to find reviews of power supplies and really couldnt. Also, does Sony make reliable DVD drives, or is there another band that makes a better product for about the same price?

snodgrass, Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it. If anyone else wants to offer up advice, feel free. I would love to hear it. Look forward to hanging around these boards as my HTPC project progresses!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW!! This forum moves extremely fast compared to others i frequent... Any more advice bump here?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have almost all Antec Earthwatts PSUs now. They go on crazy deals all the time, and they are an awesome PSU, quiet and efficient.

I agree that you should get a mATX board with decent integrated video. Of course I would go with an Intel-based solution, but that's just me...

There are quite a few threads up here where people have been getting suggestions for their HTPC. At least read those threads, as you might get some more good ideas.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Using MediaPortal you simply turn on the TV and select a channel, whether it is analog or digital. During the configuration phase you scan for your analog and digital channels seperately -- they're 'seen' as two tuners. But during operation it's one big channel listing. Point being, you don't have to switch anything. I've had really good luck with the Hauppauge 1600 -- it does ATSC, NTSC and (outside of MediaPortal) QAM; it has an IR remote, a IR blaster and does A/V capture as well. If it's PCI-e you need they have an 1800 and a new release coming out in a couple weeks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts