AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First of all i would like to apologyse for my english because i'm not from here...

Here is the pb:

I'v got an AV amp (Yamaha RXV 1900) and i need speakers in order to have 5.1 system.

My room is 16m2.

i am looking for bookshelf speakers.

My amp is 8ohms so perhaps should i look only at the 8ohms speakers?

For the sub i'm going to purchase a BK elec XLS 200DF so i don't realy care about the bass for my speakers and i'm focus on the rest.

I want a great top and midrange. With clear but not agressive treble.

The XLS 200 will do the work for low frequency.

I'm looking for a plenty and rich sound with good depth and a good spatialisation because my using is essentialy for movies..

The pb for the speakers is that i simply can't go to listen to them because those who interest me are not available in my place.

I'm hesitating between:

*Tannoy Mercury V1 (8ohms)

*Mission MX1 (8ohms)

*Dali Zensor 1 (6 ohms)

*Q Acoustics 2010

I'v already listen to the Wharfedale 10.1 with an hifi amp from denon and i was a bit disappointed.

Perhaps the speakers where too new or the room too big but i don't know, the sound was ok but just ok...

i felt nothing special...

Acording to you which speakers could match very well with my Yam?

Last thing, few years ago i listened to KEF IQ30 VS B&W 685.

Theses speakers are too expensive for me but in order to put you on the right track to define the sound i like i just want to say to you that i definitely prefer the aerial sound of the KEF.

The B&W seem lacklustre compared to the kef..

For the brand Monitor Audio i see a review that say the BX1 don't seem to be as good as his big sister.. And the BX2 are too expensive to me.

An other thing, i'v read that this range (BX) is not very "subtil" so that's why i didn't put this brand on my short list.

I listened one year ago to the RX6 VS the Audium Comp5 and the Audium Comp5 was much better in every point to my ears..

Maybe it's a mistake and i should consider the BX1...

I'm looking for the best speakers

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Having not heard any of your choices specifically I can't make a good decision on them, but the mission speakers I have heard have the typical british sound to them. To me they're a bit harsh. Can't really comment on the rest. Best advice is to try to find someone or some place local that has them and go and have a listen.

Btw, your english is much better than a lot that natively speak english. Wouldn't worry about that in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer brandonnash!

So my english is not so bad, it's a little victory for me!

For your proposition it would be the best thing to do but in Brussels there is no such brand as Tannoy, Mission, Dali etc...

I'am still in limbo with my future instalation and it's a little bit frustrating to have the money but not the opportunity to listen to the speakers i have in mind...

If anyone could have compare these speakers he knows what to do!

Many thanks

Axel

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
As much as I hate to say it (no offense to you if its in your ancestry) you could try some french speakers like focal. I'm not a fan of french...well, not a fan of much of anything french. But I have heard some of the focal bookshelf speakers and in the room I heard them in they sounded good. A fellow avs member bought a set of them and didn't like them as much in his room. Rooms make sound fluctuate so its hard to tell if they would work in your room.

Have you looked around your local used market? In a city the size of Brussels you would think many people have good equipment and someone has got to be selling something good.

Edit:

You could check with a company called Dectal n.v. in belgium. They're a distributor so they could possibly help. +32 9216 6000

Btw I have been thru Brussels once about 10 years ago and only had a bit to look around between flights but plan to in the future make a return visit and get more time to explore the city.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/20794791

Btw I have been thru Brussels once about 10 years ago and only had a bit to look around between flights but plan to in the future make a return visit and get more time to explore the city.

I've been to Brussels several times and love the city. In many regards, more French than Paris!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/0

I've been to Brussels several times and love the city. In many regards, more French than Paris!

Never been to Paris but is looks like is smells of sewage. Not so much from their inferior underground pipes, but from their average citizens who look like they could care less if they use the toilet or the side of a building to relieve themselves of their wine and cheese.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow...

A lot of cliché i see..

I'm french (Paris) but now i live in Brussels and love the city, the people etc..

You should come to Paris Brandonnash in order to see how it is.

Anyway you'r right stevensctt, there are a lot of french people in Brussels because they prefer the Belgium way of life if i can say that..

But it's out of context...

I have already search all the brand i mentioned in Brussels but except for B&W, KEF, FOCAL (i don't like this sound) and few other it's impossible to listen to other brand like Tannoy, Mission, Dali etc...

It's too bad..

I'v heard that the tannoy and the dali are close to the kef sound..

maybe i should dig in this way?

Thanks for number of the Dectal company brandonnash! I will call them tomorrow.

It's almost 8:00 PM, i must hurry to buy my cheese and wine before the shop close!

Kind regards

Axel

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I like that corner of Europe. My fav is Denmark. Last time I was there was right before that magnificent bridge was built. They had just finalized the plans. I saw the drawings and have seen TV shots and pictures...but yet in person.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/20794877

Never been to Paris but is looks like is smells of sewage. Not so much from their inferior underground pipes, but from their average citizens who look like they could care less if they use the toilet or the side of a building to relieve themselves of their wine and cheese.

Wow! You haven't been to Paris. You should go, the Parisians will warmly welcome another ugly American.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel75 /forum/post/20795067

Anyone to tell me about the Tannoy or the Dali sound with an Yam av amp please?

thanks!

The RXV1900 is a very good receiver capable of driving most speakers. No issues more than adequately driving the Tannoys or Dalis.

Can't help with comparisons but Dali is a favorite speaker brand for me. More familiar with Dalis using their hybrid tweeter module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'v read your thread schan1269 and you seem to have very good stuff...

I don't know if we could make a comparaison between the Dali Ikon 6 mk2 and the Zensor 1.. Surely not, but perhaps it remains the Dali's acoustic identity..

With your story, the thing i read on the web and the last comment of stevensctt i am very attract to this brand..

The zensor 1 are 6ohms but it seem to not be an issue with my amp.

Damned it's too bad i couldn't listen to them...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me again...

Perhaps should i look to the XTZ brand?

I never heard about these speaker but they seem to be very popular here...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts