WFTY-DT (Telefutura) Channel 23

Out of New Jersey:

WFUT-DT (Telefutura) Channel 53

WXTV-DT (Univision) Channel 40

WFUT-DT (religious) Channel 29

Out of New York City:

WCBS-DT (CBS) Channel 56

WNYW-DT (FOX) Channel 44

For some reason, I cannot get a lock on WPIX-DT (WB) Channel 12, out of New York.

My equipment:

- RCA DTC100 receiver

- Panasonic 47" high def. television

- Terk TV 35 (this is the antenna that I have pointed towards the ESB)

- Radio Shack VU190XR antenna

- Radio Shack VU120XR antenna

- generic brand antenna

For reception of WPIX-DT I am using my TERK TV35 antenna, I also use this to receive WCBS-DT and WNYW-DT

With this antenna I get :

WCBS-DT signal strength 94

WNYW-DT signal strength 88-94

WPIX-DT signal strength 28 --- cannot lock ---- no picture

I have tried turning my other antennas to New York City to see what level of signal I get for WPIX-DT and, get this, I get no signal at all on WPIX-DT with my other antennas when pointed towards the ESB / New York City.

Only when using the TERK TV35, can I get a solid 28 signal strength on WPIX-DT.

I used a signal strength meter, DRAKE TSM1000A TV/SAT Signal Meter, to acquire the strongest possible signal and still maxed at 28 for WPIX-DT.

I also spoke to Nick Doshi and WPIX engineering department, 212-210-2775, and was told that the signal, though low powered should be reaching the Bronx. Keep in mind, I have a clear view of the Empire State Building, not a thing in between andwith a pair of binoculars, I could almost see the transmission antennas on their masts, no kidding.

I tried combining two similar, I have a few TERK TV35 antennas, stacked and dissimilar antennas to a Radio Shack combiner/splitter, but to no avail. I tried combining and then attenuation on antenna by 10 db and came up with a fluctuating signal of 28-50+, but this would not lock a steady signal to produce a picture.

I've read of guys in Throggs Neck, Bronx, on this forum who receive WPIX-DT with 80+ signal strengths, I've even read of guys in New Jersey receiving the signal.

What am I doing wrong?

Is WPIX-DT not compatible with the RCA DTC100?

One last thing WHYY, out of Philadelpia, an analog channel on channel 12, Do you think that this could be the root of my problem. Co -channel interference from analog WHYY?

Considering my antennas are very high up I would be more prone to receiving unwanted distant signals. Sometimes early morning, if I go to channel 12, I lose the 28 signal strength on WPIX-DT and get a "scrambly" WHYY.

Is there a way to filter out analog WHYY, and still receive digital WPIX-DT?

Help!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I made a few errors in my post, let me clarify.

I also spoke to Nick Doshi (at) WPIX engineering department, 212-210-2775, and was told that the signal, though low powered should be reaching the Bronx. Keep in mind, I have a clear view of the Empire State Building, not a thing in between and (with) a pair of binoculars, I could almost see the transmission antennas on their masts, no kidding.

I tried combining two similar antennas, I have a few TERK TV35 antennas stacked, but to no use.

I also tried combining two dis-similar antennas and then attenuating one antenna by 10 db and produced a fluctuating signal of 28-50+, but this would not lock a signal to produce a picture.

Also, when I combine two different antennas without any attenuation, the signal is zeroed.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Combining antennas, unless you really know what you are doing, usually results in worse reception.

You could try an antenna cut for channel 12 only or a high VHF only antenna.

A preamp, such as the Channel Master 7777, would probably help. I am 17 miles from the ESB and lose reception of WPIX-DT if my 7777 is taken out of the circuit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no more than sig. strength 28 for WPIX-DT in the Bronx

Anyone at all in the Bronx, receiving WPIX-DT?

Anyone with a RCA DTC 100 receiving WPIX-DT?

Could it be that the RCA DTC100 have a block of some sort for Channel 12?

Anything?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by harican
I tried a Radio Shack pre amplifier
Unfortunately the Radio Shacks have a poor reputation. However, that does not mean that in this case it is the problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
harican, i get wpix in the 70's, i have both sony hd200 and rca dtc100, the rca is not nearly as sensitive.Especially on weak channels

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I am in Valley Stream, Long Island, about 17 air miles from Empire.

Hipix computer reads a signal strength of 55

Dish 6000 reads a signal strength of 68

DTC-100 reads a signal strength of 45

All 3 have a stable picture on WPIX-DT

I use a home made folded dipole about 35 inches long made out of 300 ohm twinlead antenna wire.

It is hangs out a 2nd floor window and it feeds a Channel Master 7777 preamp

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bogney Baux,

What do you think, could it be a hardware problem on my end, a hardware problem or PSIP at WPIX, a coaxial cable run problem on my end?

I'm baffled

I can receive any and just about every other digital channel available, why is WPIX-DT so stubborn?

Help!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate to purchase another digital receiver when the DTC 100 works well enough.

I once had a problem with WEDW-DT (PBS) Channel 52, out of Connecticut, when they first aired. I was receiving the signal but not the multicast channels, WEDW-2, WEDW-3, so forth, I spoke to engineer at WEDW-DT but to no avail.

It was one of the individuals on the forum who notified me to turn of the "OFF AIR GUIDES"

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate to purchase another digital receiver when the DTC 100 works well enough.

I once had a problem with WEDW-DT (PBS) Channel 52, out of Connecticut, when they first aired. I was receiving the signal but not the multicast channels, WEDW-2, WEDW-3, so forth, I spoke to engineer at WEDW-DT but to no avail.

It was one of the individuals on the forum who notified me to turn of the "OFF AIR GUIDES" on the DTC 100 and VIOLA! 5 CHANNELS OF WEDW-DT

WHERE IS MY KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR NOW?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It is unlikely that it is a PSIP problem since my DTC-100 works fine even with "off air guides" activated.

Just to prove there is not an obvious problem with your setup, how good is reception of analog channels 11 and 13?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.