Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been looking into 3 tvs all samsung dlp's

model numbers

hls5086w

hls5686w

hls5087w

87w is 1080p is it really worth it enough to spend the extra cash or should i just save my self money. i dont plan on getting a ps3 and maybe at some point in the future i will get a hd dvd player or blu ray player. so should i future proof myself and get it or go for one of the other 2 cheaper models

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
How far are you sitting from the TV?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
The 50" models are more appropriate for viewing from 8' or less.

At 9-10', look at the Samsung 61" models. At 12', look at the 70-72" models. You will be disappointed with anything smaller.

If depth is a concern, consider Samsung's new models for 2007 with slimmer profiles and reduced cabinet depth. The new 61" HL-T6176S takes less space than the older 50" HL-S5087W.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm getting ready to order the HL-S5687W today. I decided on this after about a month of studying reviews and this forum and then actually going to BB and looking. BTW I laughed off the guys at Best Buy because they tried to tell me that Samsung didn't make a 1080p DLP in the 50" model, LOL! Needless to say, I won't be purchasing the TV from BB.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

Distance is really a matter of personal taste. I like my 56" Sammy DLP at 11' away (IMO, 61" would be too big).

Unfortunately, you won't resolve beyond 720p resolution at that distance.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
I can't imagine sitting 6.5' from a 50" t.v. That's way too close.

It's only massive if you're watching traditional 4:3 NTSC. Find a Sony Store and sit 5-6' in front of their 70" XBR2 playing a Blu-ray disk. Sit watching for 15 minutes then compare the 50" models from the same distance -- they'll seem inadequate.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0

It's only massive if you're watching traditional 4:3 NTSC. Find a Sony Store and sit 5-6' in front of their 70" XBR2 playing a Blu-ray disk. Sit watching for 15 minutes then compare the 50" models from the same distance -- they'll seem inadequate.

That's only for 1080p models. I think he was talking about 720p. No one in this topic has actually specified what resolution their seating recommendation applies to.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The closer you sit to the TV, the more you'd be able to immerse yourself in the media and on top of that, the closer you sit the more capable you become in resolving clarity.

This means that if you sit 8-10 feet away from a 50" set (too far in my opinion) you probably will not be able to tell much of a difference between 720p and 1080p. But to answer your question, at 6-8 feet 1080p is definitely worth it! Besides, 720p is quickly fading into oblivion as HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray become more widely available.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can only fit a 50" set in my room and my seating distance is 10' (9' if i lean towards the coffee table and 11' if i sit back in the corner of the couch). Do I get a 1080p set of a 720p set? I see no point in getting the 1080p if my eyes cannot see a difference, but what do you experts think?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloxer13 /forum/post/0

I can only fit a 50" set in my room and my seating distance is 10' (9' if i lean towards the coffee table and 11' if i sit back in the corner of the couch). Do I get a 1080p set of a 720p set? I see no point in getting the 1080p if my eyes cannot see a difference, but what do you experts think?

Why can you only fit a 50" set in your room?

JVC recently announced a 58" model with a depth of 11", and Samsung announced new 56" and 61" models with depths of 12-13".

At 10' from a 50" display, you won't be able to resolve more than 720p resolution, although the 1080p models offer other advantages, such as superior contrast.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, yeah, I can rearrange my furniture, but I don't really want to do that. I was in CC last night and I was hard pressed to notice much of a difference between the Samsung 720p and 1080p sets at 10'. If you get closer, yes, the 1080p was crisper. This is with a 1080i feed. I'm just weighing my options before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is all about content resolution verses $$$. I don't have any content available that is any better then DVD quality so 720p is actually overkill. But it does get me into the door for HD.

I think sometimes the guys on the forum are always leaning towards the "biggest and the best" -- not that there is anything wrong with that. But sometimes $$$ becomes a constraint.

Truth be told I bought my 5686 knowing it would become a SECONDARY TV in 24-36 months. Of course it replaced an aging 27" trinitron; which now is seeing servicable duty in the bedroom. I expect the 5686 will move into the bedroom position in 24-36 months.

So I guess what I am saying is plan ahead but don't pay today for what you can't see today. Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, or whatever will be cheaper in a couple of years, and may even be close to replacement, or at least the "next best thing" will be on the horizon and the guys on the fourm will be saying WAIT for the new 2048p sets 'cause you can see the SEE on the 120" 2048i sets from four feet.

[Editor] Please, if you have no sense of humor put down the flame thrower and move away from the keyboard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.