AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main TV is a Samsung HTP-5064. This TV is about 3-4 years old now and has held up good. In fact, I believe it looks better now than the day I bought it.

Once 3D came out I caught the 3D bug. I started wanted a new TV since mine was a few years old and on the smaller side (50 inch). Also, I had recently moved into a new house that had a built in TV shelf that just swallowed the 50 inch.

So after doing some research I knew I wanted either the Panny or the Sammy. I ended up getting the PN63C8000 due to price and in store viewing.

So far I really feel lucky with the TV I ended up taking home, because as of now I have zero buzz, zero IR, I haven't noticed any stuck or dead pixels, and I only have slight line bleeding.

Here is my issue though. While some channels look pretty good such as live shows (VH1 salute to the troops) others look like crap. Very washed out, not sharp and sometimes blurry. Like right now I'm watching a DVR recorded show 20/20 from Friday night and the whole show looks like hell. Chris Cuomo face is blurry and not sharp. It doesn't even look HD.

The only answer I can think of is because this new TV is 13 inches bigger than the 50 inch so all imperfections will show up bigger? I just don't understand why some shows look great and others look horrible. The other night with Dexter, parts looked pretty good and other parts like standard deff. Sons of Anarchy, Looked only OK but dark close up scenes it looked awful.

I'm just trying to figure out why a top of the line TV is having this issue? Is it the source? the size? I need help.

As of now I feel like I spent a lot of money on just a bigger TV with the ability to produce 3D (which I haven't had a chance to watch yet)

Should I try the Panny? I can't fit the 65 so I would need the 58. Should I try the 58 Sammy?

Should I just wait till next year?

By the way my viewing distance about 11.5 or 12 feet.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
I suspect that you are not watching HD. Do you have an HD-DVR? If so, did you set it to the HD channel (20-20 is on both an SD channel and an HD channel)? How is the DVR connected (hopefully component or HDMI)? Are there black bars on the side of 20-20? If not, does it look stretched? I recently had a discussion with an elderly guy who couldn't believe how good someone else's plasma looked, unlike his own-- turned out he had digital cable but not HD cable for his HD display.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is HD although I suspect some parts of 20/20 are not filmed in HD.

I am using HDMI and everything should be correct.

I think it is just the size maybe? Is 63 too big for a 12 foot viewing distance?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a similar TV to yours. I am bypassing the cable box and every resolution setting seems to have its own calibration settings (sometimes, I'd swear there are multiple calibration settings in each mode for each resolution). Each input also has their own calibration settings. Every time I change the channel, it seems like I have to adjust the settings. While I really apreciate all the calibration settings, sometimes it becomes a pain in the neck when I'm just watching TV. I'm guessing calibration on your unit is out of whack for the DVR playback and the channels that look bad.

What is the resolution of the channels that look bad anyway (just in case you don't know, just hit the info button on the remote when you are viewing the channel or source in question). 63 inches of 1080p should not be too big from 12 feet away, but 720p might be pushing it. 1080i is on the verge. I only have a 50 inch TV, and I can clearly see the difference between 720p, 1080i, and 1080p sitting 10 feet away.

·
Registered
20,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is HD although I suspect some parts of 20/20 are not filmed in HD.

I am using HDMI and everything should be correct.

I think it is just the size maybe? Is 63 too big for a 12 foot viewing distance?
Don't forget your picture is limited by the source. If some things look great.and some things look bad I'd suspect the source material before the TV. Remember just because its on a HD channel does not mean it will be HD. Id also say that 20/20 may not always use the best cameras
so its not really a good show to gauge. Dexter always looms pretty good on my 61", since you are used to a smalle size you will notice defects more easily. What you may also want to have.done is have.the cable co check your signals and equip to make sure everything is operating within spec.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot /forum/post/19630973

.....I ended up getting the PN63C8000.......Here is my issue though. While some channels look pretty good such as live shows (VH1 salute to the troops) others look like crap. Very washed out, not sharp and sometimes blurry. Like right now I'm watching a DVR recorded show 20/20 from Friday night and the whole show looks like hell. Chris Cuomo face is blurry and not sharp. It doesn't even look HD.

In many large markets, ABC is broadcasting at much lower bandwidth than the other networks are and their HD picture quality is relatively poor. Here in Los Angeles for instance, ABC's HD quality is not true HD - it looks more like upconverted SD (soft, blurry, lacking in detail and pop) where the other six local networks HD quality is crystal clear and obviously in true HD. I even corresponded with KABC's VP of engineering and he apologized, but said they cut back the bandwidth on their primary channel (7.1) to facilitate their Livewell HD network (on their subchannel 7.2). ABC (and FOX) are not good channels to use to judge HD picture quality on a TV.

We have seven local HD channels here that broadcast local news in HD and the in-studio HD picture quality on KABC is WAY worse

than say KCBS, KNBC, KTLA etc that all look crystal clear and incredibly detailed. KABC used to look the same as all the other channels until the day they launched Livewell HD then it instantly went to crap. And this reduced HD bandwidth on KABC makes all their local news broadcasts, prime time shows, and weekend sporting events look like crap too compared to all the other channels. Here's one of the threads about it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142333

Quote:
The only answer I can think of is because this new TV is 13 inches bigger than the 50 inch so all imperfections will show up bigger? I just don't understand why some shows look great and others look horrible. The other night with Dexter, parts looked pretty good and other parts like standard deff. Sons of Anarchy, Looked only OK but dark close up scenes it looked awful.

Video production quality can vary quite a bit from pristine crystal clear content to upconverted SD, and some HD cameras are better than others even within the same football game where the backround looks clearer through one camera than it does on a different camera elsewhere on the field. On a very large screen size, the flaws and lesser quality of the various content will be "amplified" and more noticeable compared to the same content displayed on a smaller screen where it's not quite as noticeable. Whenever you blow something up larger, it exposes more flaws whether it's a picture on your computer screen or a broadcast on your TV.

And you didn't say if your source is cable or satellite etc (which is pretty important) so if you have say Comcast or TWC Cable then they're compressing the signal which reduces the picture quality as compared to how the same HD channel looks over an antenna so that makes it look even worse. I use an HD Tivo alongside my TWC HD DVR and the local news recordings i get over the antenna look better than they do on the same HD cable channel, with KABC taking a much bigger hit since it's already poor to begin with before TWC compresses it. Even DirecTV and Dish compress the HD channels, but seemingly not as much as TWC or Comcast do.

Can you connect a roof antenna to the TV's tuner and do some back to back comparisons of the the same programs both over the antenna and through your DVR? You might be shocked at how much better the OTA image is compared to your cable signal. I always record the local broadcast channels over my antenna, and only use my TWC cablecards for recording HD cable channels.

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out why a top of the line TV is having this issue? Is it the source? the size? I need help. Should I try the Panny? I can't fit the 65 so I would need the 58. Should I try the 58 Sammy? Should I just wait till next year?

Switching it out for a Panasonic won't accomplish anything, and since Panasonics are a little softer it may actually look worse than your Sammy. I'd keep what you got.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.