AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a xbox 360 not the elite as I don't want to spend the extra money or is it better to spend the extra $80. I am a casual gammer and I will be playing only a few times a week, but its been long that I have played a video game and I really want to get the Xbox 360 and get back into the gaming. I wnated to know that should I rent games first so that I know which ones should I buy. Do people do this or do they simply buy games. I am not sure what I should do.

Also since there are heating problems with the xbox 360 is the elite better?.

I also have a regular CRT SD tv, will I be able to play the games on the SD tv. I am planning to get a Samsung HLS-5686W 720p tv soon, is DLP good for gaming.

I apologize for being naive but I have no knowledge of how all these things work together.

Lastly, what other essential things do you guys thing I need to buy along with the xbox 360 (premium)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Peronally, I'd get the Elite if Iwas buying now. The extra hard drive space alone is worth it. HDMI is a bonus, and I like black better. You can download and store many more demo's on the Elite. The 20 gig in the Premium will last a month before you fill it if you keep the demos....which u will.

Heating: nobody knows yet is the Elite is any better. Doubt it.

Get a HDTV, you don't NEEEEED it for the 360, but you will want it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnaks newfmp3 for the quick reponse.

Can you or someone else tell me is it a good idea to get the extended warranty with the 360 or the elite. I don't have a membership with costco but I heard that their return policy was the best. How about circuit city or Best buy how is their return policy. I have a $40 off $199 coupon for CC, can I use it to buy the console?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Can't answer the CC or BB questions...we don't have one. But I've heard great things about the costco warranties. I've also heard that Costco has recently changed it's return policy so double check that.

I can not stress how important it is for you to get as long of a warranty as possible. So factor that in your cost. The 360 has wonderful software, the best games, the best controllers etc, but the console itself is the worse, most unreliable console to date.

Bottom line, get the warranty. I paid 60 bucks Canadian for 2 years from MS. I've already used it once, see sig.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
There's always strings attached with the warranties you get from big box shops, it's best to just get the 2yr warranty from MS. MS covers all the shipping costs and the turn around time is usually reasonable.

Not really a necessity but I recommend getting a battery charger station (the station, not the play'n'charge kit) and have 1 more battery then you have controllers. It just makes life so much easier when your battery runs out. Pop the extra one in, the dead one on the charger and keep on gaming.

As far as renting / buying... that's really all dependent on the person. The great thing about this generation of consoles (at least 360 and PS3) is that you can download game demos off the marketplace so in almost all cases you can try before you buy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
no, get the bb or cc warranty, i had to replace my system ,and BB didn't give me any problems, in fact they didn't even look at the system, just told me to get a new one. I am not saying that MS warranty is not good, its just that you have to wait couple of weeks to get your system back if something happens.

either way, make sure to get extended warranty.

and make sure to get Live subscription

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Now I looked at both CC and BB and they are out of stock for the Elite. So I have to wait until the store near me has some stock. I live in Delware.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson /forum/post/0

As far as renting / buying... that's really all dependent on the person. The great thing about this generation of consoles (at least 360 and PS3) is that you can download game demos off the marketplace so in almost all cases you can try before you buy!

And with eBay, you can typically buy a game and resell it after a month of so for less of a net loss than the cost of a 5 day rental.

·
Registered
211 Posts
sid, if you have internet access and don't already have a router that would be something to add. Wired or wireless will work. It is worth it for the demo downloads (free silver account) or you can pay for the Gold Live account (play with others).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
As a Blockbuster.com Total Access member, I use my monthly in-store rental coupon for games rather than movies. $9.99's not bad for unlimited movie rentals (online & instore, with limits of course) + 1 game rental that usually costs $7-$8.

Aside from blockbuster.com, use XBL demos.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How does the Xbox live account work. I don't need to play with others but I would love to download the demos etc and Movies also can be downloaded Right? Which Xbox live should I get. Do I have to buy that when I buy the console or can I buy it later as well.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
gold is well worth the 50 dollars a year this console is the first i ever played online with and its a blast i started off with the 30 day free trial and when it expired on me at midnite when it was up i ran to my credit card so i could get back in the game i was playing i would also suggest the elite i traded mine in on one and now i download everything i want without having to worry about space still have 80 gigs free

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
As others have mentioned:

1. get the elite, the extra $80 is definately worth the difference, especially with HDMI (especially if you want to get the HD-DVD drive in the furture, you can then output 1080p over HDMI and not worry about VGA. Games will play 1080p over component).

2. I am never a fan of the extended warrentee, however, the Xbox does have a bad track record. Buy the extended warreentee from Microsfoft (there is a note inside the box to allow you to do this). Otherwise 'take' the chance that you will be OK and if you do get a problem it will cost ~120 to send it in and get fixed after 1 year (unless your credit card will double the warrentee.

3. I tend to buy games. There are so many games out now that I do not have enough time to play them all. Most of the Original games (>1 year old) can be had for $19.99 (kameo, CoD2, Fight Night, most sports games that are 06 and now some that are 07, chromehounds, PGR3, etc, etc). At that price might as well just buy them. However the real fun is getting the latest game and getting caught up in the hype. When Gears of War came out, it was sold out everywhere for weeks, lineups at midnight, the excitement and anticipation was half the fun. The game also delivered. It was/is worth the $60 as even after 6 months, I still end up playing this game despite having several more recent games. I anticipate even more hype when Halo 3 comes out.

4. even as a casual gamer, most of the fun is in online gaming. Getting an Xbox gold account is worth the $50 year. My only suggestion is to buy the cards and not give MS your credit card number. Apparently once you do, it is impossible to get MS to delete your credit card number from the account. Many people have tried and are unable to. MS will not cheat you but.......

5. You get a 1 month free trial with Gold account (Silver is free). If you rarely play on line and that does not appeal to you, then you can wait. Many games give you free 2 day trials and you can save them and use them when you want to play online. Similarly you can open up to 3 new Xbox accounts and get 1 month free with each one.

6 Biggest problem with Xbox live is that the games become even more addicting. An easy way to 'waist' a lot of time (and it will annoy your significant other, unless they are into gaming as well).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deveng, Thanks for the elaborate response, Thanks to all of you as well. I have now set my eyes on the Elite but it still is showing as unavialable in CC and BB stores near my area. I think I will go to oneof the stores and ask them to get it for me and get the EW either from BB or CC. I want to buy it from CC as I have the coupon which will save me $40 unless the coupon does not apply to game consoles. Does anyone know anything about the coupon being accepted by CC for game consoles.

I like car racing games along with others as well. But to start which is the most exciting racing game out there that I should get (it will be my first game) Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About the router to get connected to xbox live I have a question. I already have a Belkin wireless router but the router is in a different room. The tv and the xbox will be in a differnet room, so I need to kno what do I have to do to get connected. Do I have to buy another router?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Get the elite. It is worth the money for the HD and the color.

Get the extended warranty. I got mine from BB. While I haven't needed to use it for the 360 I have used their warranty on other items and it was as easy as bringing in the old unit with all the pieces and getting a new box off the shelf. In fact they actually let me upgrade to a larger ReplayTV model by just paying the price difference!

I had no interest in the online aspect of the system when I got it last September. Now MOST of my gaming is done online against/with other people. The $50/year is well worth the money.

You do not need another router if you already have one. You just need to connect to the one you have. Wired is the best option but you can do wireless. I would suggest just running a cat5 cable from your router to your xbox.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 /forum/post/0

I like car racing games along with others as well. But to start which is the most exciting racing game out there that I should get (it will be my first game) Any suggestions.

I like arcadey race games, not realistic like forza2.

I like shooting each other while racing, so full auto is a blast. Plus it is cheap. I got mine for 12.99. Plus it has traffic during online play. Only bad thing is that it doesn't have system link.

Need for speed is also a fun arcady race game.

The pocket bike racer from BK is a cheap fun little racing game.

Dead or alive extreme 2 has a good marine race and has these creepy cute cgi girls. Fun when your buzzed.

Haven't tried novadrome, but will probably give it a try.

I am hoping for a new ssx race game. Plus a good atv or mx race game.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.