AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...

First the background. I live in a 2nd floor flat. When the 1st floor resident uses their washer in the basement, I lose ALL water... Sometimes I still have a trickle, but due to low water pressure in the area - and since I'm on the 2nd floor and their washer is the basement... When it's solenoid valve opens and dumps water, I usually get none.

The landlord, while very responsible, has not taken action to put in a pressure boost system. And I can't blame him, I'm not sure how well it will work with the relatively low pressure we have in the area - we have a major consumer of water (hospital) within 300 feet... And when they open large valves, regardless of my neighbor, I lose a lot of pressure.

Anyway - I was thinking of an X10 solution... To remotely switch off power to their washer when I need to.

The only concern I have is removing power and forgetting to turn it back on. Some thoughts:

1) Having a way to either indicate to me as a reminder that the appliance module powering their washer 2 flors below me is in the "off" state in case I turn it off and forget to turn it on.

2) Having it be timed, so I could turn it off, and it would automatically re-enable in 20 mins or so.

Can anyone provide some suggestions of X10 products that might be configured in such a way to help me?

Thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
An appliance module should handle the load ok. One thing to consider though, it depends on what kind of washing machine they use, but I would worry that disconnecting the power might cause it to lose track of where it is in the cycle or possibly damage the washer.

If you decide to move ahead with this, the low tech method would be to put a kitchen timer next to the switch so that it goes off in 20 minutes. Or, I suppose that you could get one of the programs that run on PC that can be programmed to do just about anything with x10.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you... I'm pretty sure their washer is quite old... mechanical dial based timer, and everything SHOULD power down properly.

Is it possible for two independent consoles to turn that appliance module on and off? I'm thinking if I turn it off, I wouldn't want to hold them hostage.

I was thinking of maybe using something like the RC6500 device... With a keychain remote.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sure, you can use multiple transmitters. I use 4.

It's a good idea to have a way for them to turn the washer back on.

I haven't used the key fob but it should work.

I have used the "mini timer" successfully. It's small, cheap, and easy to use manually (or you can program it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.