AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the misfortune to use DHL to ship a projector air to Plano, Tx. The green tube arrived smashed.

I'm debating whether to replace the projector, but since I am getting another G 70 on Friday with tubes (hopefully) in the same shape as the one I sold, it would be a lot easier to send just the tube down.

I'll also be needing a good green tube or toasted G 70 glass envelope to send to VDC for rebuilding since this one is too smashed for them to rebuild.

TIA, I'll pay for someone's time..:)

Curt

· Registered
968 Posts
Curt,

If it were a "Barco G70" I'd try to help you out, but I wouldn't even know where to plug the power cord in on a Sony...... I'm too buried at work to have the time right now to learn something new anyhow. But if you think of something else I could do to help lemme know.

Mark

· Registered
4,148 Posts
Let me know if you don't find someone and I'll run this by the guy I use for my repairs. He's very bright and has a lot of all around electronic repair experience. I have a factory service manual which should be all he'll need.

· Registered
18,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the customer also has an A/V installer that he's recruited, and I'm determining if he can do it as well. I'll be in touch..:)

Curt

· Registered
850 Posts
No offense intended, but there is no reason projectors should be damaged in shipment as often as you & other people mention here.

For 21 years I shipped VERY delicate Surface Analysis instruments worth Millions of dollars around the world, and with very little or no damage. A damage claim was rare. I shipped exclusively by air freight. Numerous airlines. Shipments weighed anywhere from 50 to 10,000 lbs.

A projector is built like a tank compared to what I shipped. Properly packed for shock, vibration, and physical damage, you should rarely if ever have a claim with projectors.

I'd recommend you contact a packaging engineer and have them design a packaging system for your units. It would pay for it'self in no time at all.

You can then have a crating company produce them when you need to ship.

Again, no offense intended to you or anyone here, just advice from my experiences.

· Registered
18,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense taken. It's been my experience that unless there's a forklift put through the crate, no trucking copmpany ever pays short of being taken to small claims court.

The Sony G 70 uses the same 'weak' tube envelope that the NEC XG's use. The only way to ship these sets is with a foam lined crate, and I did not have one available for the Sony.

The problem with both the G 7-0 and the XG's is the amount of weight hung from teh necks of the tubes by the yokes and the CRT socket. This tube snapped like all the others, a clean break where the neck flares to the bell of the tube.

No worries right now, the customer will fire the set up once he disconnects the green CRT socket and HV lead, the R and B should fire up right away. I'm pretty sure that with pictures and instructions he'll be able to change out the green tube with a replacement that I will send him.

Thanks!

Curt

· Registered
4,867 Posts
Curt,

At least it was a G70. Changing the tubes on the G is the easies out there. Sony really did a nice job on the design realizing that someday, someone might have to change tube.

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.