AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many moons ago, I purchased a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's. This was 1998, 1999 timeframe. I paired those up with a CC350 Center Channel (Or...something, honestly its the one that had the same 6" cones that I believe the Monitor 9's have). But for my rears I chose Atoms instead of the Monitor's that were designed to be bookshelves, maybe they called them Titans. I digress....I had Atoms for the rears, the V2's.

This year I finally upgraded my receiver, and now I had 7.1 channels to play with (and more), so I went on ebay and found a pair of Atom V2's for dirt cheap, got them and they sounded amazing. This was, of course, to have atoms all the way around in the rear. Two in the back corners toed in (that I would probably move to be true rears), and two sides.

Problem is...I really don't have the space for the Atoms as my side-surrounds. My primary seating position would be behind them by about 3 feet, and that puts me 3 feet away from my two corner-positioned-and-toed-in-towards-the-seating-position 5.1 rears. I wanted to hang the other atoms...and I realize now, it's just not practical due to the ceiling height of my basement HT (just over 7ft). I can re-purpose the extra atoms no problem.......but I wonder now: Do I go with a smaller pair of rears (or two pairs since I doubt I'll find something that matches the atoms in the rear, so I'd replace 4 speakers).....or do I just stick with 5.1 Also, I've got some very broken-in Paradigms up front, not sure timbre matching matters but I also can't have something that is night-and-day different..

I have two choices. Stick with 5.1 (which, to be brutally honest, is fine for me, having heard some true 7.1 and gone "yeah ok..but...."), or I find some new rears and side-surrounds. Or I replace my rears with Dipoles?? Not sure that buys me anything.

Advice needed. Thanks in Advance.

:confused:

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Diploles are not for everyone. Especially if you are used to direct radiating speakers. With that said, I personally love dipoles. Best thing since sliced bread.

If 5.1 works better in your room then stick with that. Youll find that most blurays are 5.1 anyways. The rear surrounds in my theater dont get nearly as much excersize as my sides.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would go with 5.1 if you have to compromise the speaker positioning so much with 7.1.

Ideally you're "surrounds" in 5.1 or 7.1 should be directly to the side of your listening position or slightly behind on the sides. The rear surrounds in 7.1 should be behind the listening position firing towards the front stage.

In your case I would go 5.1 and move the speakers you have in the corner up the wall more to the side of your listening position. leaving them would be ok though as well. But I wouldn't put any surrounds 3 feet in front of you.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Many moons ago, I purchased a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's. This was 1998, 1999 timeframe. I paired those up with a CC350 Center Channel (Or...something, honestly its the one that had the same 6" cones that I believe the Monitor 9's have). But for my rears I chose Atoms instead of the Monitor's that were designed to be bookshelves, maybe they called them Titans. I digress....I had Atoms for the rears, the V2's.

This year I finally upgraded my receiver, and now I had 7.1 channels to play with (and more), so I went on ebay and found a pair of Atom V2's for dirt cheap, got them and they sounded amazing. This was, of course, to have atoms all the way around in the rear. Two in the back corners toed in (that I would probably move to be true rears), and two sides.

Problem is...I really don't have the space for the Atoms as my side-surrounds. My primary seating position would be behind them by about 3 feet, and that puts me 3 feet away from my two corner-positioned-and-toed-in-towards-the-seating-position 5.1 rears. I wanted to hang the other atoms...and I realize now, it's just not practical due to the ceiling height of my basement HT (just over 7ft). I can re-purpose the extra atoms no problem.......but I wonder now: Do I go with a smaller pair of rears (or two pairs since I doubt I'll find something that matches the atoms in the rear, so I'd replace 4 speakers).....or do I just stick with 5.1 Also, I've got some very broken-in Paradigms up front, not sure timbre matching matters but I also can't have something that is night-and-day different..

I have two choices. Stick with 5.1 (which, to be brutally honest, is fine for me, having heard some true 7.1 and gone "yeah ok..but...."), or I find some new rears and side-surrounds. Or I replace my rears with Dipoles?? Not sure that buys me anything.

Advice needed. Thanks in Advance.

:confused:
I would go with 5.1 surround. As someone else stated, most movies and coded for 5.1 use anyways. Another reason I would go with 5.1 is you will have to spend less money for the speakers in the system. 7.1 requires another speaker pair, which costs more money. I would rather have better quality surrounds and use them in a 5.1 surround than less quality speakers in a 7.1

If you have to compromise something in your system (ex: speaker placement, smaller speakers, cheaper speakers) to net 7.1 surround, then you might have a lower quality experience compared to a well fit 5.1 system. *Key point*

Many people actually prefer 5.1 surround. If you have a large basement, then maybe you could try dipole speakers, but make sure the company that you purchase your surrounds from have free return shipping. If you try dipole speakers and like them, then I would hunt for a quality pair. Once you have made a list, start auditioning them even if some companies don't have free returns. It's worth the cost of return shipping knowing you have your preferred speaker.

Research, patience, and auditioning are key to earn you the best experience for your money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts