AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need sound advice for a 12 by 24 room with multiple open spaces and a cathedral ceiling. I know the ceiling sounds big but it's only 12ft high in the center. The distance to the TV is 12 feet. Currently I'm using the side speakers on my Pioneer 111fd and a 75 watt powered JVC Sub Woofer, I have limited access to my addict so wireless rears would be my best bet. I also can't really run speaker wires through the walls. Any advice? I'd like true HD sound. I have the following going through HDMI cables.

Oppo 983H Universal Up-Converting DVD

PS3 (60gb)

Dish 722VIP DVR

and my TV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
While I can't help you directly, I'd like to point out that someone else here (in the HTIB section) just posted a request for what seems to be a similar situation to yours. I believe that his room dimensions are within 2 feet of your room dimensions.

As of now there aren't any replies in that thread either, but here is a link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1102464

I hope that helps, Ken

BTW: I didn't see you mention a price range.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need sound advice for a 12 by 24 room with multiple open spaces and a cathedral ceiling. I know the ceiling sounds big but it's only 12ft high in the center. The distance to the TV is 12 feet. Currently I'm using the side speakers on my Pioneer 111fd and a 75 watt powered JVC Sub Woofer, I have limited access to my addict so wireless rears would be my best bet. I also can't really run speaker wires through the walls. Any advice? I'd like true HD sound. I have the following going through HDMI cables.

PS3 (60gb)

Dish 722VIP DVR

and my TV.

I'm thinking of going with either the Onkyo TX-NR708 or the Onkyo TX-NR808.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger /forum/post/19981848

PS3 (60gb)

Dish 722VIP DVR

and my TV.

I'm thinking of going with either the Onkyo TX-NR708 or the Onkyo TX-NR808.

Budget?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 /forum/post/19981862

Budget?

I'm thinking $1000 for receiver and speakers. I'm thinking $599-$699 for the receiver and hopefully $500 or less for the speaker set up.

For speakers I'm looking at:

1. Polk Audio Blackstone TL250 5-Piece Satellite Speaker System with Polk Audio PSW111 High Performance Subwoofer from 6th Avenue Electronics

or

2. Onkyo SKS-HT870 7.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System from 6th Avenue Electronics

or

3. Polk Audio RM87 Home Theater Speaker System

6 compact satellites and 1 center channel speaker and Audio PSW111 High Performance Subwoofer from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I might suggest you have your budget reversed.... 1/3rd for the electronics, 2/3rds for the speakers. For your larger room the speakers you choose will have more impact than the receiver.

The place to start your search is Polk Monitor series II speakers from www.newegg.com and Infinity Primus speakers from www.crutchfield.com There are some sales currently going on for Energy CF series speakers, but you will need to google for those.

I do not recommend "satellite" size speakers for your room, larger bookshelf or tower speakers will work much better in the volume you hope to fill with audio.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19988736

I might suggest you have your budget reversed.... 1/3rd for the electronics, 2/3rds for the speakers. For your larger room the speakers you choose will have more impact than the receiver.

The place to start your search is Polk Monitor series II speakers from www.newegg.com and Infinity Primus speakers from www.crutchfield.com There are some sales currently going on for Energy CF series speakers, but you will need to google for those.

I do not recommend "satellite" size speakers for your room, larger bookshelf or tower speakers will work much better in the volume you hope to fill with audio.

x2 couldn't of said it better myself

Another option would be
Jamo S426HCS3 5pcs Speaker System & Denon AVR-1611 7.1 Ch A/V Receiver $595

With a Bic F12 Subwoofer (currently on Amazon for $185 shipped and that price doesn't last long from them)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.