AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I apologize if this in the in wrong section, feel free to move it...

So...here's my problem. I've build a AV/TV stand for my new plasma, but now have an issue. I only have one shelf that is big enough to fit my Yamaha 6190 (replaced the HK354 that is in the photo) and the Emotiva XPA-3 that should be on the way soon (it will be going where the PS3 is in the photo). Problem is, the opening is only 9", not leaving a lot of room above the units (2.5" above the AVR, 1.25" above the amp). Because of this, I want something that will move the warm air away from the units.

Also, am I hurting anything by having that little room? The top of the AVR doesn't feel too warm, so I'm not really worried. I just really want to make sure I'm not going to hurt either the AVR or the amp once the XPA-3 gets in there and starts to warm things up a little more.

As you can see, there is lots of room between the units and about 5 inches to the outside. The back is wide open and the door are opened for air movement when things are in use. The only real issue I see is the space above the units.

So far, this Mid Atlantic fan is really the only thing I've found. Problem is that the store that carries them locally wants $80/ea and that's a little out of my price range. Anyone found anything a little easier on the wallet or something that is DIY. My only request is that it has a two prong AC plug. This way I can plug it directly into the AVR so they turn on at the same time.

Link to Mid Atlantic (Called the COMP COOL )

·
Registered
628 Posts
Use a 12V silent computer fan with a power adapter (AC/DC converter, just makes sure it's the right voltage. some are adjustable) plugged into your receiver. Probably cost you a total of like $20, unless you have a power adapter laying around. Then like $10. You can install them in a panel going across the back of the opening.

Maybe you could install the fans in the sides of the AV rack, blowing out. Then it could suck in air from the back to get some flow going.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think you'll find that the Emotiva amp produces very little heat, but if things do get to warm, I'd do what Xander suggested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got sick of looking for a good deal, so I decided to make it a DIY project. I went to a local surplus stores and good all the things I needed.

12v cell phone adapter ($3.95)

12v DC computer fan (for the Emotiva) ($4.95)

12v DC video card fan for the Yamaha ($9.95)

It was as easy and cutting off the ends and splicing the + to the + side and the - to the - side. Simple as pie. You'll notice in the pics that I used electrical tape to hold the wires together. This was just to test, I'll be using Cable Taps to secure the connections.

Blows lots air so I can now keep the doors closed. Again, thanks for the advice and help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just make sure your total load does not exceed the 500ma ( .5 amps ) rating of the transformer or you will burn it up in short order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts