AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a conference room that i want to setup a projector in. I woud like to spend under 1-2k if possible. Also if possible we have a screen already but it is only 55 inches square that we would like to use. Are there projectors that can handle this type of zoom? Lights are not a problem as we normally turn them off. Also if there arent any projectors that can zoom that far are there any cheap electric drop down screens that are under 500 bucks? We will be using this projector mainly for the computer if that helps any.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.

- Jason

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You can find a PJ to throw 25 feet but not to only a 55" screen. Can you move it closer to the screen?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats what i was thinking. Unfortunately we cant move it closer. But i dont mind ordering a drop down screen for it. Can i get it to project about 100 inches? Also what is a cheap screen you can recomend that is remote controlled? Since this isnt a theater setup it doesnt have to be the best quality.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstory /forum/post/0

Yea thats what i was thinking. Unfortunately we cant move it closer. But i dont mind ordering a drop down screen for it. Can i get it to project about 100 inches? Also what is a cheap screen you can recomend that is remote controlled? Since this isnt a theater setup it doesnt have to be the best quality.

Not sure about remote controlled but it's electric so you can always add a remote to the plug:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

So, you will place this screen closer to the PJ? The cheapest I can find anything to project 120" from 25 feet is the Epson Pro Cinema 810, twice the cost you are looking to spend at least.

Edit: The RF Remote is on the same page as the screen!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant move the projector or the screen any closer. If it was 20ft away would it be possible? Are there any projector that utilize a zoom lense? Sorry for all the questions i dont know anything about projectors.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
All the PJs have a variable throw ratio or zoom. At 25 feet though, most PJs even at the tightest focus are going to be near 200 inches. Even at 150 inches, most PJs that can project that small are $4 or $5K. Your best solution for 25 feet is the Panasonic AX100u - it projects 122" and costs around $1600 after rebate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i think that would work. Do you have a recomendation for a mount for it? I am mounting it under a cabinet so it should be at eye level with the screen.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:

Ok i think that would work. Do you have a recomendation for a mount for it? I am mounting it under a cabinet so it should be at eye level with the screen.

Easiest would be to put it on a shelf under the cabinet but make sure it gets plenty of air.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is buying a 52" LCD out of the question? Seems like you could get similar results (although resolution input for presentations might cause problems). If you have a dedicated computer to handle the presentations it might work. If random folks are bringing in their laptops you could have issues.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why is it impossible to ceiling mount the projector. I have been in hundreds of conference rooms and seen all types of setups but by far most are ceiling mounted second most common is table mounted and I have seen very few projecting straight on. The main problem being shadows cast on the screen from people in the room. Most business projectors (the less costly ones are designed around short throw lengths and steep drop angles for this reasons. Mounting them level will cause a great deal of keystone in the image.

There are a wide variety of ceiling mounts and ways of surface mounting cables if needed. Most commercial settings have suspended ceilings that make install easier if anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have it mounted currently on the table. My boss refuses to mount it on the table or the ceiling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a lot of questions like these when the wife was looking for a projector for the classroom at school. I called one of the advertizers here on the forum, and they took all of the time we needed to answer all of our questions, and fixed her up with just what she needed, and at a reasonable price. JD

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the Panasonic AX100 more of a home theater projector? I called projector people and they were extremely helpfull but the only solution they could find was around 5k.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Its a 16x9 native format but it has lots of lumens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would be the best way to mount that screen underneath ceiling tiles? Its looks like i will be going with the PT-AX100U Projector. What would be a good resolution to use on the computer when i hook it up? Thanks again for all your help guys

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:

What would be the best way to mount that screen underneath ceiling tiles? Its looks like i will be going with the PT-AX100U Projector. What would be a good resolution to use on the computer when i hook it up? Thanks again for all your help guys

The screen will come with chains that you can run down through the tiles and anchor up in the ceiling above the tiles.

Run your PC at 1280x720. If you can't go widescreen, you can run it at 1024 x 768 and then zoom it out a little more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Reconlabtech.

At 2000 lumens will i have to turn close the windows? Or can there be some light in the room?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Some light in the room will affect the dark parts of the picture but for data, you should be fine.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts

Quote:

We have it mounted currently on the table. My boss refuses to mount it on the table or the ceiling.

There is an old saying He's not always right but he's always the boss!

Just out of curiosity again What do you have now table mounted?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts