AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 65" widescreen Toshiba. I just knew there was a better life out there, but where? I went to ebay and just searched "projectors" I started bidding on units based on price, most were lcd I thought "wow I think I can get one for less than $400 then I'll be all that. Then I ran across a Crt. What the heck is a Crt? I remember these from the pizza joint 20 years ago, lousy picture, always looked Greenish. I then remembered a CRT forum on Avsforum. If CRT sucks then why would these guys talk about them? I decided to lurk around and after awhile I was sold. I bought a Sony 1252Q with 1261 hours for $699 (bought it now, could not wait) Well shipping was $160, that included Insurance and a shipping crate. I had to pick up at shipping dock ($40 cheaper) When I got it home and uncrated it I thought "I've had Cars smaller than this" but me and my son carried her in. Then came the big "power her up test" She passed, She stayed on. Well I still had my doubts and to make matters worse My wife flipped she had seen the "cute" little ones I had bee looking at, She said "how is that going to hang from the ceiling, it will pull the house down" I let her sit for a few days while I moved the Toshiba 65 out . I put the Projector in the middle of the floor and threw a picture on a white wall. I was sold. The picture looked great (considering I was using a non-progressive DVD and the projector was straight out of the crate. With HTPC and a Proper set up, The picture will be excellent. I showed the picture to my wife and she was pleased, I then said "You haven't seen anything yet" I was throwing a 100" Picture (diag).

So to end this, thank you, thank you for all the help, and thank you for all the help I know you guys will give me in the future. your a great group.

·
Premium Member
4,952 Posts
Congratulations to you! Once you get it set up, you *will* be truly amazed. I'm amazed that more people don't do this - you can get a better image than an RPTV at a fraction of the cost.

One the other hand, TVs have their place. I keep a 32" direct view CRT (Sony) in the theater room so the kids can watch cartoons or I can watch the news. I don't really want to use the CRT for that. Ok, so I need to add the cost of the TV to the projector, but I still come out ahead.

Cary

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have exact figures I think I paid $3500 for Toshiba 65" and at the time I was getting a good deal (I Know they came down). My first thought was to try and sell it but I knew I would not get much so I rolled into my Lobby where I have a poker type table. My wife would not allow "that monster" anywhere else. I have a dedicated theater and the TV just seemed to small, When I realized I could double the size of my screen for less than $1300 with no sacrifice in picture Quality, I had to do it. I know what turns people off (size, more detailed setup, weight) but when I think about it, I glad. The more prices come down on LCD DLP projectors, the more prices will fall on CRTs, just a matter of time until I have a 9" model

for say less than 2 grand.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
The more prices come down on LCD DLP projectors, the more prices will fall on CRTs, just a matter of time until I have a 9" model
I wouldn't bet on it, the CRTs that are flooding the market are all around 4 to 6 years old and being replaced with LCD by businesses and schools. The supply is not indefinite though, and not many companies are still making CRT PJs. Therefore the demand will eventually outstrip the supply and then prices will shoot back up. I predict that by next summer e-homes, sonys,Barcos, etc. will not go for under 2K with decent tubes, and thats from private sellers with no garuntee. Right now you can get a nice Marquee on E-bay for about half that. Notice that the regular dealers on this forum have not dropped their prices to meet the E-bay market, so I'm sure they would agree with my predictions.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Fact is CRT's picture is better than any other type of display. The quality of picture lone dictates that pricing stay at a level commensurate with it's picture.

If you really think about it, CRT should be selling for more than it is...these things are the best deal going in HT...period! I mean right now a $3,500 NEC XG will smoke a $15,000 digital, something's just not right there. Even in this time frame, you shouldn't be able to find a highend 8" CRT with good tubes for under $3,500...they should be closer to 5 or 6 grand, and the 9"ers up around 10,000 and above!

The thing that will drop CRT prices again is when digitals get closer to the quality of CRT...then once those hit the used market, you'll see the bottom drop out of CRT, but that's may years away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.