Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this... I need a tv tuner card so I can view my standard cable feed (coming out of the wall in my college dorm) on my PC monitor (Dell 2405FPW).

Is this something that every tv tuner accomplishes?

Also, can somebody explain to me what QAM is, and is it something I am going to want to have on my tuner?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
from MyHD Tuner card FAQ:

Q. Can I watch standard definition (NTSC) TV?

A. Yes. The card will tune to analog TV or cable. The output can be scaled to the HDTV signals of 720p or 1080i.

Does that mean I still have to sign up for Cable? Or will it tune to it through the computer's cable connection?

·
Registered
565 Posts
JackMckay,

Unless you have Windows XP MCE Edition, you might have trouble with the MCE version of the PVR 150. You might want to try the straight PVR 150. I use the PVR 150 with Beyond TV3 and it works just fine with my TimeWarner cable service. However, it will only tune analog channels. I do have a MDP 130 hooked up to the cable service as well and I can receive non-encoded QAM channels with it as well as all of the analog channels.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcKay
Is this something that every tv tuner accomplishes?
Most any TV tuner card will tune analog cable channels. 'Course, you would still have to have a cable subscription.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcKay
Also, can somebody explain to me what QAM is, and is it something I am going to want to have on my tuner?
QAM is the modulation system cable TV uses for digital cable, both SD (QAM64) and HD (QAM256). If you want to tune HDTV from cable you will need a HDTV tuner card that can do QAM. But they will only tune channels in the clear (not encryted). Some cable systems send out local HD channels un-encryted. My cable co encrypts everything, in which case you must use the cable companies box to tune HDTV.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
Unless you have Windows XP MCE Edition, you might have trouble with the MCE version of the PVR 150.
thats completely untrue

and I do not know where you get your information

the pvr 150 mce is the same internal hardware as the pvr 150 retail

the differences are

the pvr 150 mce comes with no remote as they expect you to buy and use the mce remote

it has an fm tuner

and it has true RCA inputs for audio for using an external tuner (cable box)

the pvr 150 retail

comes with a remote and ir blaster

has no radio

and has a headphone input for audio when using an external tuner

other wise the hardware is the same

they are different models and not limited to a certain OS

I have owned four hauppauge pvr cards

the first gen pvr 250

a pvr 250 mce

a second gen pvr 250

and a pvr 150 mce

I am using mce now