AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a new home and need to buy two exact same 46" LCD TVs. It seems my best choice is either the Sharp Aquos or the Samsung LN46A550. They both seem to get great ratings and the price is around $1400 which is what I need.

A few questions... I need some opinions...

First, is the Sharp better at something vs. the Samsung? Vice Versa?

Second, would you avoid buying online? I have found some great prices online? What if I had to return it for some reason? Would I have top ship it back, or would Sharp or Samsung send a repair person to me?

Third, is there another make I should check out? Is there a site where I can get a chart style comparison, or some recommended TVs that I may have not considered?

I would love to get any feedback you may have to offer, THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Marc L. - Atlanta, GA

·
Registered
94 Posts
definitely get the A550 over the sharp. The samsung is much better. the only way i would say not to get the A550 is if you play alot of games, then you may want to look elsewhere

and if you can go a little smaller, atleast on one of them, get it from CC as they have the 40A550 with a PS3

If you can i would suggest buying locally, it makes it much easier if theres a problem or you just dont like the tv.

May even want to look at the sony kdl-v4100, it is within the price range of those sets, or even move up to the W4100

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you play games, you should consider a IPS panel ... maybe LG/Philips or even a Vizio 47" which is an IPS panel - VIZIO VO47L with 5ms response time. Costo sells it and you get 1 extra yr warranty for free.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price is a factor for me and if I buy online, I can save on tax.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an IPS panel? I have a Vizio 47" from Costco now and love it, but aren't Sharp and Samsung so much better?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Can't go wrong with LGs, you can have a couple of 47" LGs that are being sold from a famous television shopping channel for right around your budget for their July monthly special (I believe for their birthday month).

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I see nothing wrong with including Sharp in your equation, especially now since there are so many great deals on the 46". The Samsung is a solid choice as well.

Also, check out the Toshiba 46RV530 and the 46RF350U...both should be within your budget. I think the RF350 is still on sale at Costco. Has a 10 bit panel, super narrow bezel.

If you buy online, go with someone who has a good return policy...Amazon (not one of their third party retailers), Crutchfield, Costco...etc.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Why not look at the 46A650 from Samsung. Got great reviews, 120Hz, NO GAME LAG....I have no idea why people keep saying the Samsung's A550/A650/A750 have lag...they have NONE!!! Folks it's just not true....

Check the review by Cnet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...umentguiden.se

Many calibrators on this site have raved about accurate colors, black levels, good detail,etc. I have seen it on "Big River" for $1649...no tax and includes shipping.

It does have a gloss screen which you may or may not prefer. Oh, and never mind the whole TOC thing....it looks like a black bezel. I was actually a little upset that I could not see that TOC in a well lit room.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You may also want to check the Toshiba 530Us as well, those are rather nice, and also fit in your budget.

EDIT: Oops, too late. Good choice of brand, by the way, I own Series 750 from Samsung myself, so you'll be more than happy with that brand, even at Series 550, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 /forum/post/14310012

Why not look at the 46A650 from Samsung. Got great reviews, 120Hz, NO GAME LAG....I have no idea why people keep saying the Samsung's A550/A650/A750 have lag...they have NONE!!! Folks it's just not true....

Check the review by Cnet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...umentguiden.se

Many calibrators on this site have raved about accurate colors, black levels, good detail,etc. I have seen it on "Big River" for $1649...no tax and includes shipping.

It does have a gloss screen which you may or may not prefer. Oh, and never mind the whole TOC thing....it looks like a black bezel. I was actually a little upset that I could not see that TOC in a well lit room.

unfortunately cnet doent play games during reviews

1 - 11 of 11 Posts