AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need video card 1280X720. Can you help?

I have ATI with output 1280x768 but my PJ doesn't take this resolution. I need 1280X720 (eventually 1920x1080I). My ATI offers 1920x1080 but progressive only.

It doesn't have to be very fast. (No gaming). 32 MB is OK.

Regards

Zygmunt

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You need a piece of software called PowerStrip from a company named Entech Taiwan. There is a fully functional demo version available. Powerstrip allows you to create "custom resolutions". Do a search here for Karnis's custom resolution guide to assist you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I just ran the search for Karnis' custom resolution guide and can't find it. All that's in the MetaFAQ is the custom settings for 16:9, and the old FAQ version has broken links where the guide for 4:3 should be. Can anyone point me in the direction of the 4:3 custom resolution guide?

(Edit: Found DC Cliff Notes and "Definitive Guide")

Now it occurs to me that these two might be what we're looking for:

Cliff Notes

Definitive Guide

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
From another post, ATI cards have the capability for that resolution with out powerstrip. They are just hidden from view!

Here are the available settings

1280x720 @ 59.94, 60, 75, 85 Hz

Quoting the instructions

"To turn these on, go to the following section

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\ATI Technologies\\Driver

In there will be numbered sub-folders (perhaps only 1 of them) \\, for example ?\\0002?. In the numbered folder will be a \\DAL folder, and in that will be the key;

DALNonStandardModesBCD

The format of this key is a number of entries that enable the non-standard modes above. The data is formatted as follows

HH HH VV VV CC CC RR RR

where

* HH HH represents horizontal resolution

* VV VV represents vertical resolution

* CC CC represents color depth

* RR RR represents refresh rate

for example, to enable [email protected]: DALNonStandardModesBCD 19 20 10 80 00 00 00 70. The value of 00 00 indicates a wild card. In this case CC CC = 00 00 represents all color depths."

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for answers.

I prefer install as few programs as possible to avoid any conflicts so I prefer Jkaiser’s solution.

I have five computers: Three of them have ATI cards and two TNT nvidia.

Two of ATI cards are Rage 128 Pro II (32 MB, 350 MHz). Third one is a Radeon 7000/ RadeonVE (in my HTPC). Radeon one has two video heads so is very convenient – one for monitor one for projector. This is a card I like to change to output 1280 x 720.

On Radeon I have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ATI Technologies\\CDS\\0000\\0\\ and several folders but no Driver. I checked every single of them – nothing suggesting table of resolutions.

On the one machine with Rage 128 Pro II (WIN98 SE) I have everything exactly like you said.

On the second machine Rage 128 Pro II (WIN2000) I have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ATI Technologies\\Desktop\\ResModeSettings\\Display1\\ and many folders with resolutions from 640 x 480 to 2048 x 1536. No DAL folder anywhere.

(I checked TNT settings and I couldn’t find any binary table regarding resolution like I have in first Rage 128 Pro II)

What I need is change on RadeonVE. I downloaded newest driver, but no luck. I will try to get help from ATI. I consider Powerstrip as the last option.

Do you have any suggestion, J?

Once again, thank you guys for help

Best Regards

Zygmunt

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
No, not really as these came from an ATI service rep. I do not need these settings as my projector is just XGA and not WXGA. I would assume that you tried just setting the registry entries yourself? I am not sure of the source of the folders.

I will PM you the full text of the instructions...

Edit

I just turned on my HTPC. I am using pre-Catalyst drivers (5.13.1.6043) and the Default Monitor. I do not have these registry keys either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.