AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys I know this might not be a big deal to you but it is to me, so help me out. Basically I'm looking for a $100 sub that will fill my needs.

These are 2 subs that I'm looking at the 10" is more money than I want to spend but I afraid the 8" might leave me disappointed. Any suggestions outside of these two choices are welcome. I heard something about a Rocket Tyke sub, maybe thats a good choice. I don't know!

dayton 125 watt 10"
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...Number=300-633

dayton 80 watt 8"
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...Number=300-631

Now the whole thing is that I just bought a new car and I want to put a after market cd-player and system in that so I'm trying to save money with the sub for room.

I'll be honest I only use my room system for my computer and cds, I play video games on my pc and watch a movie every now and then. I like listening to music but I'm no audio junkie.

Would I be dissapointed with the 8" dayton? Or would It be enough to satisfy my needs?

BTW: My room is about 15' x 10' with normal ceilings.... heres a picture:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...aKer/hitme.jpg

I really just want something that will give those nice lows while listening t o music or playing games on the PC.

Here are my current system specs:

Sony STR-DE598 Receiver | 2x Insignia 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers | 2x Technics SBG900 4-way 5 Speaker System

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Honestly, you don't have many option in this price range. Either will definately help fill out your bottom end quite a bit. If you can swing the extra cash, get the 10". It is fairly decent performer that will fill that room with nicely. For your computer system, it will do a nice job and perform admirably. I have known several people who have used that sub for just this application. Again, get the 10 if you can--it will work less hard across all output ranges and be cleaner, plus it will have more output on the occasions you want shake things up a bit.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm going to be blunt......

I would not do this. Everyone has opinions about Dayton subs, I have heard all of them except the 8" and if you ask me they are all one note fart boxes and a complete waste of money. There is way to much else out there and you can do much better for not alot more.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Agree with Russ completely. I purchased the Dayton 12" and was very disappointed. Without a doubt the worst sub I've tried. The smaller Athena AS-P4000 blew it away in all areas except total ouput, but with that the dayton was outputting I didn't want to hear it anyway. Save up a little more and get something you'll be satisified with. On the good side, if you're intent on trying it, PE is excellent to deal with, great people with a lengthy 45 day return policy. It doesn't cover shipping though so if you do return it you'll be out shipping both ways which IMO is much more than the sub is worth to begin with.

You might try looking for a Vedolyne in your price range or maybe even find a Athena on ebay. My first recomendation would be the Bic H-100 at around $230 shipped though. Excellent sub for the price and much more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.