AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I hope this is the right area to ask this question. If not, may a Mod will move it to the appropriate place.

We are building a new home and I want to "home run" all my communication, audio and video to a single area with the exception of the equipment in my dedicated HT room.

I also want to install a surround sound (6.1) system in our great room, which will have a plasma screen above the fireplace. There is no room for any audio equipment except maybe a DVD player. So here is the problem.

My area I have for my audio/video equipment makes any cable runs about 90 feet. This is no problem for speaker wires or coax cable but what about HDMI cables. From other posts here on this forum, that is too far to go. Granted, I could use component cables from the DVD player to the plasma but would really like to use the HDMI cable. So, I thought about putting a DVD player under the plasma, using a short HDMI cable but then, how do I get the sound to the receiver in the equipment room? I can find a toshlink fiber cable that long and I wonder if it would really work going that distance.

Another option would be to use a HDMI booster, like the RAM has but I do not know how well they work and it would have to be place at the end of the 90 foot run, not in the middle.

Any ideas or suggestions?? Any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
That must be a huge and strangely laid out house if the closest place you can put something is 90 feet away. Seriously, isn't there a closet or something that it could go in to minimize the length?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Quote:
We are building a new home and I want to "home run" all my communication, audio and video to a single area with the exception of the equipment in my dedicated HT room.
Home runs to a central location is a great idea for phone and data and feeds for satellite or cable TV. Not necessary for other home theater connections, though. Typically you want to send speaker wires, video feeds etc. directly from point A to B.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
That must be a huge and strangely laid out house if the closest place you can put something is 90 feet away.
The house is only a little over 4,000 sq ft, approx 2,000 main and 2,000 basement. Comm room is in the middle, back side of the basement, Great room is on one end. So, it is not only the length, but the amount required to dropped into the basement.

Wayne,

I agree 100% with one your comments. However, the wife does not want "equipment" up-stairs in the Great Room. She says it all needs to stay down stairs with the whole house audio system or do without :eek:

I have an office next to the Great Room but no closet in it. I was thinking of building some bookshelves and I may be able to do something there. We are still talking about 30 to 40 feet.

Anyone know how far a digital coax connection is good for? Again, thinking of using a DVD player and piping the surround down stairs.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Run it with RG-6 cable with rca compression fittings, with that I dont really see it being a problem, well at least after maybe 200ft.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Matt,

That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure if the length became an issue.

Anyone know of any good DVD players with HDMI and digital Coax "out" sound?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiggs
Thanks Matt,

That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure if the length became an issue.

Anyone know of any good DVD players with HDMI and digital Coax "out" sound?
If your planning running hdmi 90+ft I don't think it would work very well, you could use an amp but I think they're really used for 50ft and under, you should get a decent signal out of component, using the same method as I stated above.

Also are you really serious about running everything at a central location being 90 feet for both audio and video. So if you wanted to watch a dvd you would have to go to that central location, pop in a dvd, go back to the room and then watch it (I assume you'll be running IR). This is solely because the wife wants zero equipment visible? My god if thats the truth jesus, cant you change it a bit or something? I understand for all your communication, and of course audio needs for distribution throughout the house, but adding your video equipment mostly just for one room? Im sorry if I sound bad but seriously there must be a solution. I.E. cant you make a 3-4 foot high storage space in the corner, frame it with 2x4's, drywall it, make a small door, that way its like a small.........well I don't know the architectural name. But that way it matches the whole room, because its normal dry wall which can be painted, you can put a large vase, or other decorative pieces on it or whatnot, its not protruding the room or anything, what you think?

·
Registered
804 Posts
BTW just in case you may want to check the HT distribution forum located here

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt,

Thanks again for your insight and ideas. Yes, I will have IR. Like I indicated, I could do the DVD player in the Great Room but a large AVR just seems to be out. I may well build an oak cabinet to blend in with the oak bookcases and hide everything in there.

I just fishing for idea.

Thanks again. It is all appreciated!!

Regards

BobH

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, it looks like the oak cabinet is a go!!!! :D Now, I need some suggestions on 30 foot HDMI cables. Because I do not have the TV yet, I have no way of testing the cable for "white sparkles" prior to installing it in my wall. So, I need a cable that I know will work.

Any suggestions on what you are currently using?

Has anyone used the cable from Parts Express, "DAYTON SHDMI-10M SIGNATURE HDMI CABLE 10m"?

Again, all your help is greatly appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.