AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, as early as 5 years ago I would never have imagined purchasing ANY A/V equip sight unseen over the i-net (or elsewhere for that matter). At least not without hearing the identical model elsewhere first.

Now, I'm looking to change up my speaks, and the temptation to go with an internet only manu is nearly irrespressible, especially in my $ range. It just seems to me that the i-net savings allow one to easily move up 2 or 3 notches in quality without moving their budget an inch. Unfortunately, the obvious downside is, that short of invading another AVS member's home, it is all but impossible to hear i-net offerings locally.

So, I ask for some other's experiences/thoughts. My one purchase thus far i-net-wise has been through SVS for the Ultra 13 and it has been one of the most satisfying purchases of my lifetime...no exaggeration. It has done nothing but exceed my expectations- a great example of that dollar-stretching I alluded to earlier. I listened to at least a dozen other subs in varying B&M's locally and none could touch it. None.

Now I'm looking to flesh-out a new 7.1 system (well, 7.0 really- I of course already have the .1 in the Ultra
), and the players that immediately spring to mind are: Ascend, Axiom, SVS, AV123, and Emotiva. I'm sure there are others, so just add them to the list please (btw, I'm aware of 123's current "troubles", and I may be willing to wait to see how their scenario pans out if I continue to feel inclined to believe that they are as fantastic I've heard, thus far).

I know much of this depends upon my personal tastes, but they (my tastes) tend to waver so much that I've found that there's a lot to love with most well-made designs, so I'll try my best to sort through some sincere opinions to determine what the best fit for me is, potentially.

Long story short, I'd like to stay under $3,000 for the suite. I figure that puts me in pretty good shape for at least the 5 vendors that I listed.

Again, those were just off the top of my head, so others are more than welcome.

thanks fellow AV-heads

James

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
You are in the wrong forum if this is about speakers. Send a PM to the mods to get it moved.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/17021785

moved : hope OK now

thanks!

James

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if you were pleased with your SV Sound purchase on the subwoofer, then consider their SCS-01 speakers for the front 3 and SBS speakers for the 2 or 4 surrounds. They get top mark reviews and there is a thread on this board on these units. SVS also just came out with STS towers, so you have that option as well for the front L-R.

Ascend Acoustics also makes highly respected units, often compared against the SVS models, but the Ascend units are a little pricier.

The SV Sound website www.svsound.com is experiencing some problems at the moment, so you may have trouble getting to it until they fix the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts