AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to purchase one of these for a variety of uses. After reading tons of stuff in multiple forums I am OK with it's capabilities/limitations as a music player, ripped DVD player, and HDTV mpeg player. I haven't read much about the HD photo viewing though. I did read some stuff about there being a size limit for photos of 2Mb. Does this mean jpg photos from my 8MP camera will not be displayed properly? Does anyone here have any experience with this player as a HD photo viewer and would be willing to share? Last year I had the Roku unit for awhile (before I returned it) and it worked really well for photos. If the Linkplayer2 is anywhere near as capable for photos I think I would be satisfied. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just a thought about your concern: The maximum resolution of an HD screen is 1920 x 1080. That works out to 2,073,600 pixels, or about 2 megapixels. You can't do better.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
Just a thought about your concern: The maximum resolution of an HD screen is 1920 x 1080. That works out to 2,073,600 pixels, or about 2 megapixels. You can't do better.
I know I can't get better resolution. The question is does the LinkPlayer scale the larger images properly to 1920x1080. Based on some stuff I read it does not. Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is a great question, and one that I have been struggling with! The initial software with these players did have ridiculous size restrictions as you noted - have they been corrected???

The only sane way of viewing photos on an HD display is to scale them to 1080i resolution, and then allowing a zoom to expose the "full" resolution in areas of the photos. I-O Data should be bi--- slapped for not having this out of the box. Otherwise the photo viewer is completely useless for most cameras purchased in the last 4 years.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just tried this and the Linkplayer2 will display 5 megapixel images on an analog screen (about a 19 inch TV). The server running on the PC is ours, not theirs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
But the real point is on HDTV displays. Displaying a high res picture on a SD TV is the key. To be a real picture viewer, it must be able to display any resolution picture at full HD resolution, and optionally let you zoom the picture (since HD resolution is still much less than the megapixel pictures).

·
Registered
150 Posts
... correction from above .... Displaying a high res picture on a SD TV is not what is at question (to me viewing pictures at SD resolution is pointless) ....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Jay:

I'm in the same situation as you are - looking for the best way to send a slide show from my PC to my HDTV. I'm considering the Roku, the Buffalo Link Theatre, and the I-O LP2. I understand that the BLT and the LP2 use the same Sigma chip, but I can't find any information to distinguish the two. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this, and I would be especially interested to know why you returned the Roku if it worked so well with photos.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this, and I would be especially interested to know why you returned the Roku if it worked so well with photos.
The Roku did work very well for photos, but I thought $300 was too much to pay for a photo viewer. I also wanted to playback HDTV transport streams (from the MyHD card) and ripped DVDs. It was very buggy at that time for those apps. I thought if I waited 6 months there would be a new and improved model (or at least new software) and that I would buy it again. I'm still waiting. If all you want is a good photo viewer the Roku would probably be your best bet.

Jay

·
Registered
65 Posts
The LinkTheater just added 1080i support for picture viewing in the last firmware upgrade. It previously only supported 720 so this is a big improvment. I think the LinkPlayer2 only supports 720 now.

I crop my pictures to 1920x1080 and make slideshows for my HD TV.

The pictures look awsome.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you have to crop your pictures to be able to show at this resolution? Will it scale a 8mp picture to HD? Cropping is not really feasible for me as I have 12,000+ pictures and would like to browse thru them from my HDTV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As someone with similar needs, an additional question: Will LP (or ROKU and LT for that matter) rotate the pix using the embedded orientation information attached to my JPEGS (from the EXIF file). I never rotate my pix in photo editors -- I let the software take care of that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't resize my pictures but I use the wizd server software with my LP2. This weekend I will test with the default IODATA server software.

I'll try and test the alternate rotation info as well since I think my canon software can embed that tag.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't resize my pictures but I use the wizd server software with my LP2. This weekend I will test with the default IODATA server software.

I'll try and test the alternate rotation info as well since I think my canon software can embed that tag.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imarkup
Do you have to crop your pictures to be able to show at this resolution? Will it scale a 8mp picture to HD? Cropping is not really feasible for me as I have 12,000+ pictures and would like to browse thru them from my HDTV.
I have gone through my collection of 4meg pictures and they seem OK, but I hate looking at 4:3 pictures on an HD screen for the same reason I hate 4:3 DVDs, the black bars on each side suck! Pictures are much more satisfying when they fill the screen. The software seems to get bogged down by huge numbers of files sometimes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeo
As someone with similar needs, an additional question: Will LP (or ROKU and LT for that matter) rotate the pix using the embedded orientation information attached to my JPEGS (from the EXIF file). I never rotate my pix in photo editors -- I let the software take care of that.

Thanks.
I think the LinkTheater does, but you get even bigger black bars on a 16:9 set. Cropping the pictures to 1920x1080 is the road to HD Heaven.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl
The Roku did work very well for photos, but I thought $300 was too much to pay for a photo viewer. I also wanted to playback HDTV transport streams (from the MyHD card) and ripped DVDs. It was very buggy at that time for those apps. I thought if I waited 6 months there would be a new and improved model (or at least new software) and that I would buy it again. I'm still waiting. If all you want is a good photo viewer the Roku would probably be your best bet.

Jay
Jay,

Wondering when you tried out the Roku for transport streams and DVD rips. I currently use the Roku exlusively for this and works perfectly. Had you tried the latest Beta with the MPLAY app? Without this great third party app I would have returned the Roku as well.... See link below to MPLAY info. --Darin

http://www.permanence.com/MPlay/index.html

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7675
Jay,

Wondering when you tried out the Roku for transport streams and DVD rips. I currently use the Roku exlusively for this and works perfectly. Had you tried the latest Beta with the MPLAY app? Without this great third party app I would have returned the Roku as well.... See link below to MPLAY info. --Darin
When I tried the Roku, MPLAY was not yet available. In the mean time I have read alot about MPLAY and the firmware updates. I must admit that I am tempted by the Roku unit. One other problem that I had with the Roku was that it got extremely hot and I thought the heat was causing it to be flakey. I remember having to unplug the power cord on numerous occasions to "re-boot" the unit because the front panel and remote were hung. They lowered the cost of the Roku about 18 months ago to $300. I'm really suprised that the cost is hasn't been lowered since then and that they haven't come out with an updated model (i.e. with hdmi/dvi ouptput and newer chipset). I've narrowed down my choices to the Roku and the Linkplayer2. I'm kind of leaning towards the LP2 because it is $100 cheaper and seems to have much more support from the manufacturer. Decisions decisions.

Jay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.