AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Direct Tv for a couple of years and have had minimal complaints, happy with the pic, sound, etc. running it on a Non HDTV rear projection.

Now, Cablevision is offering I/O Digital cable in my area and are trumping it up that it is a better picture quality then DTV. Is there any validity to this? Which format will give me more pixels?

I ordered the Sony GWII and I am still patiently waiting for it, BUT, one of the concerns that I have had is the somewhat negative feedback that I have read about the GWII and the pic quality of Non HDTV programming on DTV. Is I/O Digital Cable going to give a better pic?

Thanks for any help!

-Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I have Dish network and decided to try I/O cable in my area.I do like the picture quality of the channels over 100 ,but 2-99 are still analog. I have to say i prefer the P/Q of my Dish for my local and other programming that is only offered in analog signal from cable.The box is a SA 4200HD ,it offers normal,stretch,and zoom mode for SD programming. I always thought that Dish was years behind in menus and guides,but I immediately missed them after I started using cable.I am not saying not to try it but dont expect to be blown away in features and P/Q.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have both, on the digital channels, IO's PQ is a little better (JUST a little) than DirecTV using ESPNews as a comparison. IO is big on Video on Demand, little on channel content. All of the basic channels are still analog, and there's NO picture improvement in those channels using IO's cable box. IO has a long way to go before they match DBS in content, but the same could be said for Digital Cable on any system.

As far as negative feedback about the Grand Wega II, PQ from DirecTV should not be your primary concern. I'd be more concerned with the "Blur Factor" that GWs produce. The LCD pixels on this set (and all LCD tvs) are not as fast in changing colors as your CRT-based rear projector, so there will be a considerable amount of "lag" to any movement on the screen. It's not so noticeable on movies, but ALL sporting events are completely unwatchable on this set, maybe except for tennis, because the camera dosen't move so much. Since your spending $5g on this TV, I assume you've seen it on display and liked what you saw.

Just my 2c worth. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the 2 cents. :D I have seen the TV on display at a bunch of stores. But, unfortunatley most places the TV is on display are playing it on a DVD loop or HDTV signal. So, I do appreciate all of the feedback I have gotten about the TV. From what I have seen, read, heard, etc. The pluses on this TV outweigh the negative for what I am looking for....

As for the price, I am getting the TV for $2600 through a friend at Sony, that is if the damn thing ever gets here!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.