AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my I/O Magic capture card and running it with DScaler. Everything is running just fine except that I want to tweak the settings in DScaler for max PQ. As I perused the the menus I came across the deinterlacing options. My question is that there are quite a few and would like to hear some opinions from you guys as to which is best for viewing NTSC Direct TV material fed from an S-Video connection. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I currently have it set for video BOB.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Depending on how powerful your machine is, try a more capable deinterlace method such as Greedy (High Motion) or Adaptive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Any others want to chime in?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i would take dans advice as if it was handed down from above. i have the iomagic pcpvr and greedyhm works best on my machine. ultimately you will have to try the different settings and choose which one works best for you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the Philips as the tuner. I looked at the card and the tuner module has Philips stamped right on the case.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
regarding the hardware settings > Dscaler will automatically pick the following as harware for the IO Magic card.

Pinnacle PCTV Rave

Philips 1236D ATSC/NTSC Input 1

I find these the best functioning profiles for the IO Magic Card. I had problems at first using Dscaler with this card, but after deleting dscaler.ini and letting it pick the above settings, I had much better luck.

I still don't like the sound from the RF tuner input, or the picture from my lousy $40 a month analog cable signal. So I don't use that setting too often.

·
Registered
343 Posts
...well, I replied too fast before I read hmcgrath's comments. So, I guess after you deleted the .ini file you had to go thru and select all the settings again? or did other defaults take over also?

Kirby

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Once you get everything working, I suggest doing an auto calibrate with Avia. That will dial in a good color for you.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Hi Dan,

is there a source anywhere on how to use the auto calibration features? Or could you give us a brief hint here?

I tried it recently but I wasn't sure if I did it correctly.

Do we simply bring up the AVIA screens in Dscaler and start. Or is there some other settings that need to be enabled/disabled?

thanks for your help.

kirby, you should be fine. Dscaler will (Ifor me at least) detect the proper hardware. Check just in case. Making sure the proper CPU speed is selected.

As for other settings I think you just need to use the defaults for best results. You may want to try Greedy (High Motion) as well as the default (adaptive). Your audio settings will most liekly need to be reset. But I think your channels should be retained.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.