AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've finally put together a stereo I think is killer only to find out I can do a lot more. I have a B&K AVR-505 receiver. Amrita Audio Reference Standards front speakers and Amrita Audio Troppo Towers for the rears. The front speakers have a built in crossover and can be bi-wired to separate the sub from the mids and highs. My center channel is a Paradigm CC-370. My sub is a Velodyne CHT 10".

I do not have a manual to the receiver and am somewhat confused of the optimal settings. I also saw that I can buy a separate amplifier from the same series to push even harder. I then realized I could bi wire my speakers and make separate adjustments for even a better sound. And that I could probably use a more powerful center. But now I'm stuck because I don't know what center to go with, or how to divide it all if I buy a separate amp. Thought about an equalizer as well. Didn't know if it would be relevant.

The front speakers are the only ones I have hooked up now and really care about at the current moment. The technical data on them is:

System Type
- Tweeter: 1" Metal Dome
- Mid-Range: Dual 6-12" acoustic suspension
- Woofer: 13" bass reflex
- Port tuned to 26Hz

Frequency Response
- 24 Hz to 20 kHz (+3 or -5 dB)

Impedance
- 6 Ohms (Minimum: 5 Ohms)

Sensitivity (Efficiency)
- 92 db (Nominal)

Maximum SPL
- 118 dB / Full Music Spectrum

Crossover
- 6 dB per Octave

Crossover Points
- 280 Hz and 3,500 kHz

Recommended Power
- 7-1/2 Watts (Triodes) to 1,000 Watts/channel
---------------------------------

I was looking at a B&K amp to match my receiver and bi-wiring the front speakers if possible off the amp? Or possibly the mids and highs with the receiver and the subs with the amp? I was looking at the B&W Centre 2 S2
Center channel if it would be much better than the center I currently have. Maybe there's better than that for less money? I'm not sure what to pair up with my speakers and the best way to divide and set the adjustments properly. I just really need some advice. Could anyone take on such a daunting task by helping me? I'm ready to learn but have no idea how to put it all together. I can try to dig up any more technical data needed.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I have a B&K AVR-505 receiver.
Manual. Took 2 secs to find with google.

I then realized I could bi wire my speakers and make separate adjustments for even a better sound. And that I could probably use a more powerful center. But now I'm stuck because I don't know what center to go with, or how to divide it all if I buy a separate amp.
Passive biamping and biwring are a complete waste of time and money. They bring no audible benefit. Don't waste your budget here.

Thought about an equalizer as well. Didn't know if it would be relevant.
1: If you have pre-outs and power-ins, you can put an EQ there, like a MiniDSP.
2: Buy a decent AVR.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
+1 to avoiding passive bi-amp and biwiring.
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/bi-wiring-from-amplifier-to-loudspeaker
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/bi-wiring-part-2-the-cable-conundrum
Pay attention to this stuff instead.
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

It sounds like you could use a CC upgrade. Too bad there's no chance of getting a 5th Amrita.

+1 to an AVR upgrade over an amp upgrade. At 150W/ch, you have a decent AVR with lots of power, but it's a dated AVR. A newer unit will include HDMI, networking, and likely room correction SW (in place of an equializer); you'll benefit from the added capabilities. That said, if this one does what you want, more power to you! I've got one that's even less featured (no 5.1 decoder, just 5 channel inputs)

and read the manual A9x linked.... hard to beat the resources folks here provide!

Have fun,
Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.