AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have an ECP Graphics which I decided to re-tube (since there was some serious text burn on the tubes). Purchased a r+g tube, got the tubes swapped, (had to replace an HV lead on the green tube), and put things back together enough to turn it on and test it, and start adjusting. the only things I had left off are the external cover as well as the tube shields (tin coverings of the tubes).

I double checked that I had everything pluged in the right spot, and that there were no loose connections anywhere.

So I turn the PJ on, and all I get is the red tube flashing on and off repeatedly at a pretty good rate (I'd say 30 times a sec) and the blue and green tubes are off.

The red tube seems to be at FULL intensity when it's flashing like this...

I quickly turned it off, re-checked that all the connectors were fully seated, and turned it on again, with similar results.

I have no idea what I could have done wrong... I could have damaged something... but what?

Have any of you experienced this on ECP PJs?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Wild ass guess. The red tube is turning on full conduction which is turning off the high voltage supply, this lowers the conduction of the red until a point is reached where the HV turns on again which turns the red tube full on and that turns off the HV....

What makes the red turn full on? Open connection to the G-2 terminal of the CRT, or zero volts on the cathode, or some high positive voltage on G-1. If there is some way to safely disable the HV you could do some checks on the tube biasing and find the problem.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
I'll suggest along a similar vein.

Disconnect the red CRT socket and see if the G and B fire up OK. If so, chances are you have a bad tube, CRT socket or a bent pin on the red CRT.

curt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Pulled the HV lead from the red tube and the menu came up.. At least I know the green tube, since the menu is in green writing.

Looked around the red tube, but there are no obvious signs of damage. There are also no bent pins on the tube or the neck board, and all the neck board connectors are good.

Are all the neck boards identical? Can I swap a neck boards between tubes to check them out? Or are they color specific?

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Yes, swap the neck boards, they are all identical. Are these 07MS or SD tubes?

I've had more shorts in the 07MS tubes than the SD's.

Curt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are SD. I'll swap neck boards and report back

·
Registered
615 Posts
Outsider787

You described the exact problem that I had with an ECP a friend gave me. Exactly.

Not that the solution will neccesarily be the same as mine, but, on the end of the red crt (where the neck card plugs in) one of the pins was bent completely over. All I did was straighten it and Voila', The projector worked. As far as the blue and green (I had the same thing), It turned out to be simple G2 set almost off. I made a few adjustments and Bingo!. Everything worked.

Darren

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... swapped the red neck board, and plugged it in the green tube.

Green tube started flashing uncontrolably.

Shot the PJ promptly.

Guess I found the culprit.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Need a neck board? I got lots.

:)

Curt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might get in touch with you Curt.

I'll have to check with a buddy locally that might have one... He had a few ECPs at one time, and he might have some spare parts.

I'll get back to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.