AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me some suggestions for a good wireless home theater setup. I simply do not want wires running across the room. Even if you are biased against wireless, please give me your suggestion anyhow for wireless. I have a Panasonic Plasma already if that means anything.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef /forum/post/12877747

Give me some suggestions for a good wireless home theater setup. I simply do not want wires running across the room. Even if you are biased against wireless, please give me your suggestion anyhow for wireless. I have a Panasonic Plasma already if that means anything.

I'm in this same deal with you. I want something wireless also. I was looking really at 3 things right now and I am in an apartment. I have a Panny 50in, Toshiba HDDVD D3, and xbox 360 (no elite), along with a Scientific Atlantic 8300 HD Box. The 3 things Im looking into is a Yamaha YSP series bar, the Panasonic 950, or 1050 with wireless rears and subs, or just go with wires and get the logitech z5500 since the price has dropped and everyone raves about it.

I dont know though, Im open to ideas and suggestions so get em started.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/12878732

We'd all like wireless but it is yet to come.

Well there actually are wireless systems out there now. The rear speakers anyhow. That would do for me, I don't care about the front speakers needing to be wireless. I know my sister bought a system from Sony that is wireless in the rear. It sounded pretty nice too, especially the subwoofer.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef /forum/post/12885389

Well there actually are wireless systems out there now.

He means wireless systems acceptable to most. If you like the system you heard, don't let us stop you. But the technology really hasn't matured enough. The sound quality to the rears isn't the best, and it works on the same frequency as other wireless devices, so the chance of interference is high.

Added that most use an inferior design of receiver (the ones integrated with a DVD player), they're just not a really attractive option, at least to me. I'd rather go with a Yamaha YSP if I didn't want to run wires, provided the room was right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too find myself in this difficult position. I need the rear speakers to be wireless, but at the same time I haven’t read many positive reviews on wireless systems.

Ideally, I am looking for an HTIB that has wireless rear speakers and a receiver. Since I am planning to use my PS3 as a DVD player, I won’t really need a HTIB with dvd.

I am looking at two Sony systems (however they both lack wireless). HT SF2000 and HT SS2000

The Panasonic 1050 meets my needs, but I am not sure what kind of signal loss or even if I can plug my ps3 into the dvd/receiver that comes with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you looked at the Panasonic SC-PT1050? It's got wireless rear speakers and a wireless sub. It has an optical-in so you can connect your cable/satellite box to it and get 5.1 surround sound. It's dvd player upconverts to 720p and 1080p. I ordered one a few weeks ago and set it up but the damn subwoofer was defective (it had no power). I had ordered it online through Circuit City so I took it to the local Circuit City store and they ordered me a new one. I'm still waiting. But anyway, without the sub hooked up, I configured everything and the surround sound was impressive through dvd and directv. I can't wait to hear the wireless sub! Should be receiving the new system by end of this week. I'll post and let you guys know what I think.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredT /forum/post/12896370

The Panasonic 1050 meets my needs, but I am not sure what kind of signal loss or even if I can plug my ps3 into the dvd/receiver that comes with it.

I just now noticed your post. Yep, you can plug your ps3 into the receiver via the digital audio optical in connection. You should have an optical out on your ps3. You'll want to plug that into the receiver of the 1050 and plug your ps3 hdmi out directly to your tv for video. You cannot, nor would you want to run the video through the receiver. The one inconvenience you will run into is that the 1050 only has 1 optical in. Therefore, if you want to hear 5.1 surround sound through your cable or satellite programming, you'll need to use the optical in on the receiver for this as well. There is a $30 fix for this however:

http://www.amazon.com/SW100-Digital-.../dp/B000812QC6

There ya go

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdenneh /forum/post/12901404

I just now noticed your post. Yep, you can plug your ps3 into the receiver via the digital audio optical in connection. You should have an optical out on your ps3. You'll want to plug that into the receiver of the 1050 and plug your ps3 hdmi out directly to your tv for video. You cannot, nor would you want to run the video through the receiver. The one inconvenience you will run into is that the 1050 only has 1 optical in. Therefore, if you want to hear 5.1 surround sound through your cable or satellite programming, you'll need to use the optical in on the receiver for this as well. There is a $30 fix for this however:

http://www.amazon.com/SW100-Digital-.../dp/B000812QC6

There ya go

thanks for all the info. I will definately put the 1050 on my short list.

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef /forum/post/12877747

I hate it when wires run across a room. I have trained mine to walk.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Whats the budget?

KEF offers a wireless module for their surrounds -- of course they still require direct power from an electrical outlet. From the setup I demoed, they sound great. Didn't even notice they were wireless until looking at the receiver they were "connected" to.

or the RocketFish much cheaper alternative, but I haven't heard great things about this.

But like the others have said, wireless speakers really haven't "made it" yet. More companies are offering them but the technology isn't quite there... yet.

Joel

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAgustin /forum/post/12906451

Whats the budget?

KEF offers a wireless module for their surrounds -- of course they still require direct power from an electrical outlet. From the setup I demoed, they sound great. Didn't even notice they were wireless until looking at the receiver they were "connected" to.

or the RocketFish much cheaper alternative, but I haven't heard great things about this.

But like the others have said, wireless speakers really haven't "made it" yet. More companies are offering them but the technology isn't quite there... yet.

Joel

Well, I would go as high as 1500 for the "right set". I cannot believe some of the prices I am seeing on the separate components. Not sure I want to invest too too much, just as long as it sound good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So it finally came in and I just finished getting everything hooked up about an hour ago (It took me about 45min). As I had mentioned in a previous post, I received the pt1050 a few weeks ago but had to send it back due to the subwoofer being defective. I anxiously plugged the subwoofer to my new unit into the wall and this time I noticed it was receiving power (the little red light came on!)
. I paired it up wireless with the system, which took about 30 seconds to do, and WOW! Nice! The bass is full, and you gotta love the flexibility of putting this sub anywhere in the room. I've got it sitting right alongside the right side of the couch. The bass fills the room at it's lowest setting. It has 4 settings. The level 2 setting is the default setting and perfect for me. Levels 3 and 4 will shake the entire house and I doubt many people would need this much bass unless your throwing a rave. The bass is accurate on all 4 levels. I'm very pleased with this home theater. Best of all it was only $539. I'm loving it!

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdenneh /forum/post/12923694

So it finally came in and I just finished getting everything hooked up about an hour ago (It took me about 45min). As I had mentioned in a previous post, I received the pt1050 a few weeks ago but had to send it back due to the subwoofer being defective. I anxiously plugged the subwoofer to my new unit into the wall and this time I noticed it was receiving power (the little red light came on!)
. I paired it up wireless with the system, which took about 30 seconds to do, and WOW! Nice! The bass is full, and you gotta love the flexibility of putting this sub anywhere in the room. I've got it sitting right alongside the right side of the couch. The bass fills the room at it's lowest setting. It has 4 settings. The level 2 setting is the default setting and perfect for me. Levels 3 and 4 will shake the entire house and I doubt many people would need this much bass unless your throwing a rave. The bass is accurate on all 4 levels. I'm very pleased with this home theater. Best of all it was only $539. I'm loving it!

Awesome Man, I can get the 950 for $363 with my work discount, I just found that out. So you actually watched a movie and the surround sounds good? Did you have any delay in sound with it being wireless or any wifi interference? I know they run on on same band as 2.4GHZ and I have my xbox wireless, the xbox controllers, my iPhone, and my cordless phone. Any issues with that?

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion /forum/post/12925115

Awesome Man, I can get the 950 for $363 with my work discount, I just found that out. So you actually watched a movie and the surround sounds good? Did you have any delay in sound with it being wireless or any wifi interference? I know they run on on same band as 2.4GHZ and I have my xbox wireless, the xbox controllers, my iPhone, and my cordless phone. Any issues with that?

I read some very disturbing things from Big River customers about interference--many are complaining that this system has to be turned off for them to use wireless internet. My wife and I will have our home offices up stairs, and my wife will very likely want her laptop down stairs often. Not being able to use this system and wireless internet at the same time would be extremely annoying. I will also have several other wireless devices, including wireless game controllers as well. Interference problems would be a deal breaker for me.

That said, I am really hoping someone tells me it won't be a problem, because I really want to be able to get this system. One question though--what exactly are the differences between the 950 and the 1050. I'm trying to compare them via Big River specs and I'm not seeing much of a difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 /forum/post/12926488

One question though--what exactly are the differences between the 950 and the 1050.

The 950 does not have a digital optical input, therefore it can only produce 5.1 surround sound through it's built-in dvd player. You won't get 5.1 dolby digital surround sound from any outside source such as your cable/satellite box, xbox, ps3, bluray, etc. You'll get stereo sound from all 5 speakers, but it won't be digital surround sound.

The 1050 beefed up the size of it's rear speakers but I cannot confirm whether this made a difference in performance. The technology is supposedly better with the 1050 and the sound is better, but unsure how significant... I've not heard the 950. So far I've had no problems with my wireless internet or cordless telephones which all run on 2.4 ghz. The subwoofer for the 1050 is truly wireless and just needs to be plugged into an outlet anywhere in the room.

Here are the differences and modifications in the speakers I noticed on the specs:

Digital Inputs: Yes (optical)

Front Speaker Configuration: 3-way, 3-speaker bass-reflex

Front Speaker Full Range: No

Front Speaker Woofer: 2-1/2" cone type x 2

Front Speaker Tweeter: 2-3/8" cone type

Front Speaker Weight (lbs): 8.8

Subwoofer Weight (lbs): 14.3

Subwoofer Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 5-13/32" x 15-7/8" x 17-9/32"

Surround Satellite Speaker Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 3-11/16" x 10-23/32" x 3-3/4"

Surround Satellite Speaker Weight (lbs): 2.4

Digital Inputs: No

Front Speaker Configuration: 2-way, 2-speaker bass-reflex

Front Speaker Full Range: 2-1/2" cone type x 2

Front Speaker Woofer: No

Front Speaker Tweeter: No

Front Speaker Weight (lbs): 8.4

Subwoofer Weight (lbs): 12.2

Subwoofer Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 7-3/32" x 17-17/32" x 13"

Surround Satellite Speaker Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 3-5/8" x 5-19/32" x 3-3/4"

Surround Satellite Speaker Weight (lbs): 1.32

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 /forum/post/12926488

That said, I am really hoping someone tells me it won't be a problem, because I really want to be able to get this system.

It depends. If you can change channels on your wireless internet, you might be able to move it far enough away in the frequency range for it to not be a problem. But that may or may not work for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdenneh /forum/post/12928854

The 950 does not have a digital optical input, therefore it can only produce 5.1 surround sound through it's built-in dvd player. You won't get 5.1 dolby digital surround sound from any outside source such as your cable/satellite box, xbox, ps3, bluray, etc. You'll get stereo sound from all 5 speakers, but it won't be digital surround sound.

The 1050 beefed up the size of it's rear speakers but I cannot confirm whether this made a difference in performance. The technology is supposedly better with the 1050 and the sound is better, but unsure how significant... I've not heard the 950. So far I've had no problems with my wireless internet or cordless telephones which all run on 2.4 ghz. The subwoofer for the 1050 is truly wireless and just needs to be plugged into an outlet anywhere in the room.

Here are the differences and modifications in the speakers I noticed on the specs:

Digital Inputs: Yes (optical)

Front Speaker Configuration: 3-way, 3-speaker bass-reflex

Front Speaker Full Range: No

Front Speaker Woofer: 2-1/2" cone type x 2

Front Speaker Tweeter: 2-3/8" cone type

Front Speaker Weight (lbs): 8.8

Subwoofer Weight (lbs): 14.3

Subwoofer Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 5-13/32" x 15-7/8" x 17-9/32"

Surround Satellite Speaker Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 3-11/16" x 10-23/32" x 3-3/4"

Surround Satellite Speaker Weight (lbs): 2.4

Digital Inputs: No

Front Speaker Configuration: 2-way, 2-speaker bass-reflex

Front Speaker Full Range: 2-1/2" cone type x 2

Front Speaker Woofer: No

Front Speaker Tweeter: No

Front Speaker Weight (lbs): 8.4

Subwoofer Weight (lbs): 12.2

Subwoofer Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 7-3/32" x 17-17/32" x 13"

Surround Satellite Speaker Cabinet Dimensions (inches, W x H x D): 3-5/8" x 5-19/32" x 3-3/4"

Surround Satellite Speaker Weight (lbs): 1.32

Thank you very much. This is very helpful. I think I may end up giving this system a go. I also came across the Panasonic 2.1 PTX7 and PTX5 systems. The PTX7 is half off at Big River, but the reviews are putrid. Circuit City reviews of the same unit are more positive. Maybe that have ironed out their hardware failure issues recently. These systems seem to produce acceptable sound for those who purchased one that actually works. At its current price, the PTX7, with its alleged 3.1 sound, and its 80 GB hard drive might be an alternative. Anyone have any experience with either of these units? I know that a 2.1 system can't beat a 5.1 system, but will it come close?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts