AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Yamaha RX-V765 and have it set up. My question is that I can not get Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, etc on my ps3 or my 360. All I get is PCM or Pro logic.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You have not provided enough information. What player or device are you discussing and how is it connected? DVD player? Blu-ray player? HDMI?

If you have a PS3 connected and set to output PCM, you won't see DD or DTS etc.

If you have a conventional DVD player connected, I assume you used an optical connection or HDMI?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Ok. You will want to set the PS3 to output PCM for movies. That's should give you the best results. There are resources online explaining how to change the PS3 settings.

For the 360, you should see Dolby Digital. Pretty much every game should be in 5.1. Or you can pop in a DVD with a DD soundtrack, and select it, and you should get DD.

One way to run into issues is to set your receiver to send audio to the TV at all times. Doing this could result in you getting two channel PCM only. Make sure your audio to TV setting via HDMI is off. If you want audio to the TV, use the HDMI audio in standbye feature.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I like to deal in specifics. If you are playing an XBox 360 game, you should see some indication you are receiving Dolby Digital. If not, check your 360 settings, your receiver settings and just to make sure, hit the button on the remote which says 'straight' (on my Yamaha receivers, it should say STRAIGHT in the display.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have a 765, and it took me a while to figure this out as well. you will not see any decoder indicators light up with the 765. if you look in the manual, the pg that shows what's on the front panel does not have any indicators. to determine what audio codec the receiver is currently processing, you will need to use the "info" button on your remote. this cycles through a few things, what's be decoded for one, the input you using/or the one you've renamed, etc...kinda weird to not just have a light pop on, but w/ the 65 models this is not an option...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much I got it now. Although its still not outputting the signal (from my xbox 360, playing Call of duty 4) in DD. Instead its outputting the signal in Pro Logic II. Is that supposed to be that way?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There's no Dolby Pro Logic II signal. Rather, you have the DPL II decoder on. And that could be you are only getting two channel audio for some reason.

If you are only getting two channel audio, it's a 360 setting or a 765 setting. As I mentioned before, make sure HDMI audio is not being sent to the TV, as that can create problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my old receiver did dolby digital and DTS just fine with both my 360 and PS3, so it has to be my receiver settings. Im thinking about resetting the receiver to factory defaults and see what that does. On the subject of the audio going to the tv, that feature is off. Yet still im getting the pro logic II. And I know im not in digital as voices come out of all my front speakers not just the center channel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its HDMI. I have a Sony Bravia W series. Heres my setup. I have a ps3, and xbox 360 BOTH hooked up to the Receiver via an HDMI cable. Then I have a third running from the receiver to my HDTV. Ive also been considering a factory reset on my receiver but cant find one in any of the menus.

·
Registered
243 Posts
NOt sure on the 360 cause i dont have one, But the PS3 has its own Dolby true,Dts Hd decoders etc!! Here is a good link for you, This is how you want to set it up! So you dont get the fancy lights on Display but when you hit Info,Audio on Ps3 you will see it is Processing what you want LPCM "Loss less" Might want to check your 360 settings too
http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/21...with-your-ps3/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts