AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As luck would have it, my local A/V shop got an HS10 today, so I went to check it out. I didn't spend a lot of time there since I had other errands to run, but it was long enough to get a brief look at it. Here are a few random comments:

- Forget about screen door effect! I had to get about 3 feet away from the screen before I could see any individual pixels. This was with about a 7-foot wide image (I'm estimating here, it was projecting on a 110" diagonal 4:3 screen), projecting from about 10'-12' back.

- Colors and contrast looked pretty good right out of the box. The PJ had not been calibrated in any way. I know this because the salesman cut the tape on the box as I was standing there. Shadow detail looked fine, blacks looked a touch grey, but I'm sure this could be improved after adjusting the brightness and contrast properly.

- We watched bits of The Fifth Element via S-video connection. Compression artifacts were apparent, but I believe this was due to the player and the connection. I saw similar artifacts on my RPTV when I had my old first-gen DVD player. A good player will make them go away.

- The picture looked better than the 11HT they had there, but the 11HT was projecting on a 160" diagonal screen. Screen door was apparent on the 11HT from 1x - 1.5x distance, and the image seemed washed out by comparison. I'm sure some of this was caused by the size of the screen, though.

- I concluded from this brief encounter that I will be very happy with this projector, and I'm a fairly picky person when it comes to PQ - I'm currently using a 55" Mits RPTV that's ISF calibrated.

So...why didn't I buy it on the spot? Because they wanted MSRP + tax for it. Couldn't justify the additional cost when I just have to wait a little longer to get my pre-ordered HS10 from an out of state dealer (no tax) at a much better price. I'm bummed that I didn't come home with it tonight, because I would have loved to play with it over the long Thanksgiving holiday break, but I think I made the right decision to wait.

For those of you on the fence or waiting for your HS10's....buy with confidence, it's a great projector for the price.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Eric - nice report, thanks! How would you rate the sharpness of the image and contrast vis-a-vis the 11HT? It seems that they've done something that they haven't been promoting to reduce screen door from levels typical with WXGA pj's.

The kind of actual performance everyone's talking about after having seen the HS10 is pretty exciting and amazing at its price point. And its nice to seem them finally trickling into showrooms now. I can't wait! I should be able to pick one up right after I get back from the holidays. Talk about an agonizing holiday... :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HT, the sharpness and contrast looked noticably better on the HS10, but again, you have to take into account the differences in screen sizes. The enormous screen that the 11HT was firing onto was a sight to behold. I wish I could have seen then both on the same screen at the same size. But from what I saw, I would estimate the the HS10 is just as good or better, as we've been hearing. And the price difference makes it a no-brainer.

They DID have a Sony VPX-something-or-other on the same screen before we set up the HS10, and against that one it was no contest, the HS10 blew it away. On the other one you could see the screen door from the back of the room.

I mentioned before that the colors looked good, but I forgot to mention that even the fleshtones looked quite natural on this uncalibrated PJ. I would have been happy to just set it up and watch a few movies the first night without spending any time with the Avia disc.

The resolution on the HS10 is really great. Even while just browsing through the on-screen menu, I noticed how solid, smooth, and clear the text looked on the screen. Not the best demo material, I know, but I didn't get to see a whole lot, especially after I rejected the salesman's offer ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just one, with two more on the way. They had an HS2 as well, but it was just in a display case, so I didn't get to see it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
EricT43, thanks for that fantastic news. Actual confirmation that these pjs have hit the states and it sounds like the pq and screen door are as good as I had hoped. I think you just finalized my decision. Now to finish my room and get that pesky vacation out of the way so I can get mine :D

Wow, thanks again...really!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
A $500 premium to walk out the door with the thing isnt bad at all. Looks like Sony priced this baby to sell boat loads of them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
was it a white or gray screen?? What were they asking? It isn't advertising if no one knows where you're talking about, right?

Wow, I am going crazy waiting for this thing. Review threads scare me every time I look b/c I'm afraid to read anything too bad about the pj, but so far it sounds like I didn't throw my money away!

I can't believe El Paso has one of those PJ's and I can't find anything in Sacramento. Not to unduely knock on EP but as an El Pasoan I can drop a few 'bows on it....(lived there 'til I was 17!).

Later,

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
rob,

A fellow sacramentan looking for the HS-10! Good to see. Now, if we could only find someone to demo or sell the machine locally. Please PM me if you've found anyone.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rob, it was a white screen, a Draper pull-down, but I'm not sure what material was being used. As I mentioned in my first post, they were asking for the full MSRP of $3k. I just couldn't see paying the extra money just to get it earlier, and my fiancee would have killed me ;) I like to support my local dealers, but c'mon, they couldn't settle for less than $900 profit when all they had to do was open the box and plug it in for me for 5 minutes?

And don't worry about knocking El Paso, I was surprised they had one too! We're not exactly on the leading edge of new things over here, no señor.

Light conditions were not completely controlled. The room with the HS10 had flourescent light from the showroom coming in from behind the projector. It was dim but by no means completely dark. I could still make out the symbols on the remotes with no problem. I don't think that dim ambient light would cause much of a problem, which is good for me because I like to watch at night with some dim indirect lighting so I can find my beer and read what's on the remotes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Eric, they won't come off retail in Memphis either. I tell them I can beat that on the web and they just shrug... By the way, they don't have any either...:eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Guys,

They won't come off MSRP because even though you can beat it on the web, someone is going to walk into that store and buy that projector for MSRP, probably within the month. Would you sell something for a discount if you KNEW you would get full MSRP within the month?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I could sell one today, and then just get another one and sell it for more in a month, then YES I would do that. I would think that selling an item as soon as it hits inventory, and with little or no work involved for the staff, would be a good business move for anybody. I even told them that I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more for the priveledge of buying from a local dealer and getting it sooner, but $600? That just wouldn't be a smart move on my part.

Three months from now, when everybody's had theirs for 3 months, and I've had mine for 3 months + 1 week, I'd feel pretty stupid about spending 20% more to gain that extra week.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks for the report EricT43. Do you know if they were using the Cinema Filter or operating the HS10 in Cinema Black mode?

Regards,

Anthony :cool:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I put mine into Cineme Black mode but haven't tried to screw on the Cinema Filter yet... doesn't seem necessary to my untrained eye...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.