AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dead tired, so i won't go crazy with a lengthy review. Summing up: What an experience! This is the second I had the pleasure to see a film in 70mm and like the first (2001) it made a huge difference and altered my perception of the film. Like 2001, I had always found ARABIA to be overly long and somewhat dull, with a lackluster ending. Well, 70mm on the big screen is an entirely different experience. It's a remarkable film and one that should really be seen in a theater and nowhere else.

Clarity, detail and color rendition were astonishing. The absolute best I have ever seen. There is no other film I can remember that looked like this. Only IMAX can compare.

The film played at Trinity College in Hartford CT all week. Saturday was the last day.

In a few weeks they will have BARAKA in 70mm. I AM THERE!!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
-Sniff- I wish it was me....I didn't even get to see 2001(my fav. film), since

I went home from London the day before the release...

I really want to see these two films in 70mm..

Nicholas

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nich
-Sniff- I wish it was me....I didn't even get to see 2001(my fav. film), since

I went home from London the day before the release...

I really want to see these two films in 70mm..

Nicholas
Ouch, that hurts... I was trying to justify a trip to Seattle and the Cinerama theater there to see 2001 but I really couldn't. I have memories of seeing it at he Warner theater in Pittsburgh when I was about 10 that haunt me *lol* Baraka in 70mm- Matt, you lucky dog!!

Fred

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Thanks.

Does 2001 still run in London? then I'll have to go again.

But hey, I got to see Don't Look Now!!! Love that film.

Nicholas

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
For me, my greatest theatrical experience of recent vintage was the premiere of Apocalypse Now Redux in an IMAX theater about a year and a half ago. Huge, gorgeous colors -- Simply astonishing.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Now that films have to compete with HDTV maybe they'll go back to 70mm. I know I don't go to the movies much anymore because the matted supper 35 doesn't cut it on a big theater screen. I grew up with a lot of 70mm films and I notice the difference! When they are spending so much making and advertising the movie why do they skimp on the actual film?!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Yeah, Bill.

My thoughts excatly. thanks.

Nicholas

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
LOA have been shown in 70mm on LPP film stock since it was restored by the R. Harris/J. Katz team for David Lean before his untimely death.

Current 70mm prints looks about the same it did during its original roadshow engagements, which is great.

Latest 70mm prints also have DTS in lieu of mag soundtrack. Perhaps that was the way you viewed it?

Glad to see you finally liked the movie...one that I've never found wanting regardless of the format... ;)

-THTS

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They don't have Digital at Trinity. They have the multi-track system, just like in the old days. They can also play Dolby Spectral. I don't know what type of sound I heard with Arabia, but when I saw 2001, it was 70mm multi-track and was so powerful, I thought the roof would explode. And there was zero distortion. That was one hell of an experience.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There is nothing wrong with 6-track mag from 70mm; it was and still is "reference" sound. I was mainly guessing since newly struck 70mm release prints of LOA only have the DTS bit code for the soundtrack (no mag stripes on the film itself)...or so I been told (which I tend to pay credence to)...

-THTS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.