AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Elect supply house today and the Leviton rep was there. He was showing off some really cool 3 or 4 (maybe more) way switches.

All the switches looked like normal Decora (sp?) type but only 1 of them was actually wired. The other switch was wireless and it didn't use any batteries. It looked like a normal switch only it was only 1/2" or so deep and the act of flipping the switch creates enough electricity to send the wireless signal to the one wired switch. The rep said it would work up to 1000 ft away.

So, if anyone's looking for a way to do 3 or 4 way switches without having to pull wire give them a look. I didn't ask about the cost or the name of them but the rep said that they just came out with them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
this sounds neat.

I have an exterior rear door light, that I wish I could turn off and on from upstairs. I never ran wire when the basement was unfinished. This sounds like it could do the trick.

Do have a link?

Old.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I just saw the demo in the showroom.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think that's the way my gas fireplace works. It has a switch on the wall and I've noticed that even when the power is out, I can still turn on the fireplace. My brief research led me to the piezo ignotor. Good call Dennis.

Anyway, thanks for posting. I wasn't aware they came out with a similar product for 3/4 way switches. That's good to know.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast67 /forum/post/15549681

I think that's the way my gas fireplace works. It has a switch on the wall and I've noticed that even when the power is out, I can still turn on the fireplace.

Not to veer too far OT, but these are generally "millivolt" systems in most cases...as is my propane Vermont Castings type stove/heater. In the middle of the pilot light sits a bi-metallic device which is what generates the current (passive) and operates the gas valve...vs a piezo which generates its current via mechanical means (like your bbq lighter).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
javadoc - no, the one you show is not it. That switch is powered by 4 batteries and appears to be for controlling that plugin adapter. The ones that I saw are simply to make a 2 way switch into a 3 or 4 way switch.... at least, that's how the Rep was pushing them.

I thought it was a great way to get another switch without having to pull wires. The rep said it was rated for 20A and upto 277v.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
The switch you saw is not creating a 3-way or 4-way circuit in the traditional sense. These remote piezo-electric switches are more akin to a remote control. You'll find your main switch will need to be replaced and you'll address (usually by means of dip switches) the main switch to the remotes. There was an outfit a couple of years ago (I forget their name) that manufactured receivers designed to be installed directly in the ceiling fixtures. The wall switches could be placed whereever as a result. I believe their intended market was to manufacturers of, and consumers of, SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) panels. SIPs could create challenges for electrical and mechanical contractors.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you say tomato, I say tomaato.... we are describing the same thing. You replace the main switch with a wired controller and then put your remote switches whereever you want, creating a pseudo 3 or 4 way switch.

Sorry, for any confusion, I thought they were neat and might help someone out. And, since they are new to the market (for Leviton anyways) I wanted folks to know that they exist.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk /forum/post/15545755

I was at the Elect supply house today and the Leviton rep was there. He was showing off some really cool 3 or 4 (maybe more) way switches.

All the switches looked like normal Decora (sp?) type but only 1 of them was actually wired. The other switch was wireless and it didn't use any batteries. It looked like a normal switch only it was only 1/2" or so deep and the act of flipping the switch creates enough electricity to send the wireless signal to the one wired switch. The rep said it would work up to 1000 ft away.

So, if anyone's looking for a way to do 3 or 4 way switches without having to pull wire give them a look. I didn't ask about the cost or the name of them but the rep said that they just came out with them.

Man...that's cool. I know Dennis said they weren't uncommon, but I'd never seen one before this thread. Thanks!

Frank

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds like it.... the one I saw there was no mention of an occupancy sensor but everything seems to be what I saw

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts