AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the DVD Lens Cleaner.

(Apologies to Stanley Kubrik).

I've been experiencing some problems recently on the DVD recorder side of my two year old Panasonic E80. At first, it wouldn't read new discs.

Then, every time I tried any type of record operation, (even adding titles), it would shut off and go into Recover mode.

I tried a few solutions, but nothing worked. And my "local" Pana Service Center is about 70 miles away with a three week backlog. (!)

Finally, while shopping online for a replacement unit, I saw a listing for a DVD Lens Cleaner. About 15 bucks, plus S & H from Crutchfield.

After one cleaning cycle, it went from 100% failure rate to 100% operational.

I didn't realize that a lens cleaning would be so crucial, but I guess it's like dirty heads on a VCR. Only, in this case it would play back, just not record.

The Lens Cleaner I got is a Maxell, and it also has some audio/video setup materials on the disc. But, I'm sure that any good brand of cleaner should do the job.

If you're having any problems like those I mentioned, you might want to try out a lens cleaner before taking any further action.

True, the manual does mention cleaning the lens, but it doesn't really emphasize how crucial this can be.

Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by probepro
Very interesting. How does it work? Do you insert a special disk, or what?
Yes, The Maxell disc I bought has a tiny little brush on the bottom side, (the side facing the laser), in the middle of it.

A menu pops up and one of the choices is "Cleaning Cycle." A page with a countdown comes up and about 15-20 seconds later, it's done.

Then, just take the disc out and proceed as normal.

Works like a champ. :)

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.